Re: [Scouter_T] WLOT and IOLS

  • Jamie Niss Dunn
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
      >Looking for a schedule and some advice on holding combined WLOT and IOLS trainings. Please help.

      There is one suggested schedule in the front of the Outdoor Skills for Webelos Leader syllabus, I believe.

      One of the group members has posted a schedule in the file section - it is entitled OWL IOLS combined.

      The one time we did this, we found we had to have strong instructors for the Webelos sections, in order to effectively pull them out of the skills sessions at the appropriate time, and steer them into the Webelos content.

      Jamie Niss Dunn
      Pack Trainer, Pack 512
      Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
      Troop Committee, Troop 509
      Ham Lake, MN
      Secretary, Crew 849
      Coon Rapids, MN
      Cub Scout Training Coordinator
      Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
      Three Rivers District

    • Scott Truax
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
        If you can wait, Natl will be coming out with the syllabus for these courses.
        All part of the new and approved training coming out of Natl.

        YIS
        Scott

        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Miss Renee" <renee_waldrop@...> wrote:

        > Looking for a schedule and some advice on holding combined WLOT and IOLS trainings. Please help.

      • Corbin Sarchet
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
          We combine in Central Florida's Fort Gatlin district, and supplement our
          nature training to include the geology and parts of forestry activitity
          badges which are not includeded in the SA/SM IOLS since in Scouting they are
          merit badge subjects, and not covered in the T to 1st class rank
          requirements upon which IOLS focuses. We aso have a Webelos Leader mentor
          who meets with the WL attending to deal with any questions about the Webelos
          program or the Webelos to Scout transition.

          Our Webelos leader love it being prepared to move right into Scouting
          leadership.

          Also, I am to understand that the new IOLS program will be a one program fit
          all, forWebelos, Scout, Varsity and Venture leaders---whenever it comes out.

          Corb Sarchet

        • Elaine D. Boyd
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
            Any word on when the syllabus will be available? I am running BALOO and
            OWL (aka WLOT) in June - unless the new syllabus comes out very soon -
            we'll be running the old syllabus. I have seen any hints to a time
            frame from BSA yet.

            Yours in Scouting,

            ~Elaine Boyd
            Scouter in NH

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
              I need to proof read my emails better - that last sentence should read:
              I have NOT seen any hints to a time frame from BSA yet.

              And when I do finally see a date - I'll just add four months to it and
              save myself some aggravation! :-)

              ~Elaine

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
                Rumor is the new SM/SA position specifics is out...if that is a fact, where
                can one find it?

                Corb Sarchet

              • Bill
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
                  Scoutstuff says it will be available 3/18/2010

                  What is changing? Anything or is it just a reprint?

                  --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Corbin Sarchet" <corbms3@...> wrote:

                  > Rumor is the new SM/SA position specifics is out...if that is a fact, where
                  > can one find it?
                  >
                  > Corb Sarchet

                • Corbin Sarchet
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
                    I understand it is being modified to includesome outdoor skills, but we will
                    have to see.

                    Corb

                  • Bill
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
                      Well the version of SM Specific I have has noting on TLT, NYLT and NAYLE and nothing on how to teach a Patrol Leader on what his job is (also nothing on what a PL job is other than to help out the SPL).

                      At least I can't find anything and I have the version that mentions EDGE

                      Bill

                      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Corbin Sarchet" <corbms3@...> wrote:

                      > I understand it is being modified to includesome outdoor skills, but we will
                      > have to see.
                      >
                      > Corb

                    • Scouter Chuck
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 2, 2010
                        Bill nelson wrote:

                        > Well the version of SM Specific I have has noting on TLT, NYLT and
                        > NAYLE and nothing on how to teach a Patrol Leader on what his job
                        > is (also nothing on what a PL job is other than to help out the
                        > SPL).

                        I'd look for an older Patrol Leader's Handbook.

                        Which brings up a point. Is National going to release an updated
                        version of the PLH? Or is the PLH going to become "lost tribal
                        knowledge" in the legendarium?

                        YiS,

                        Chuck
                      • Corbin Sarchet
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 2, 2010
                          I don't know where they get the people who work on the trianing program
                          materials, but it has always been apparent in the past several decades they
                          are not people with grass roots experience in what a new SM or ASM really
                          needs to know to have successful troops...so today, we have a strippled down
                          Troop Leaders Program which covers job descriptions and almost nil on how to
                          do it; Scoutmasters basics which don't teach skills which most new
                          Scoutmasters do not know unless they have been Scouts in the past; no longer
                          a JLT for skills training for junior leaders; and Woodbadge and NYLT which
                          has stripped out outdoor skills for management skills. Program takes a way
                          back seat to numbers---membership, units and finances in the life of the
                          professionals----we make big claims about being an outdoor program, but
                          don't back it up with the training that folks need to teach Scoutcraft,
                          woodcraft, and outdoor skills, nor do we any longer have a troop based
                          program for junior leaders to learn how to instruct, how to run meetings,
                          how to work with younger youth, and the ins and outs of their troop
                          responsibilities----we tell them what a quartermaster does, but not how to
                          actually do the job.

                          Well, that is off my chest.

                          Corb