WLOT and IOLS

  • Miss Renee
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
      Looking for a schedule and some advice on holding combined WLOT and IOLS trainings. Please help.
    • Jamie Niss Dunn
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
        >Looking for a schedule and some advice on holding combined WLOT and IOLS trainings. Please help.

        There is one suggested schedule in the front of the Outdoor Skills for Webelos Leader syllabus, I believe.

        One of the group members has posted a schedule in the file section - it is entitled OWL IOLS combined.

        The one time we did this, we found we had to have strong instructors for the Webelos sections, in order to effectively pull them out of the skills sessions at the appropriate time, and steer them into the Webelos content.

        Jamie Niss Dunn
        Pack Trainer, Pack 512
        Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
        Troop Committee, Troop 509
        Ham Lake, MN
        Secretary, Crew 849
        Coon Rapids, MN
        Cub Scout Training Coordinator
        Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
        Three Rivers District

      • Scott Truax
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
          If you can wait, Natl will be coming out with the syllabus for these courses.
          All part of the new and approved training coming out of Natl.

          YIS
          Scott

          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Miss Renee" <renee_waldrop@...> wrote:

          > Looking for a schedule and some advice on holding combined WLOT and IOLS trainings. Please help.

        • Corbin Sarchet
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
            We combine in Central Florida's Fort Gatlin district, and supplement our
            nature training to include the geology and parts of forestry activitity
            badges which are not includeded in the SA/SM IOLS since in Scouting they are
            merit badge subjects, and not covered in the T to 1st class rank
            requirements upon which IOLS focuses. We aso have a Webelos Leader mentor
            who meets with the WL attending to deal with any questions about the Webelos
            program or the Webelos to Scout transition.

            Our Webelos leader love it being prepared to move right into Scouting
            leadership.

            Also, I am to understand that the new IOLS program will be a one program fit
            all, forWebelos, Scout, Varsity and Venture leaders---whenever it comes out.

            Corb Sarchet

          • Elaine D. Boyd
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
              Any word on when the syllabus will be available? I am running BALOO and
              OWL (aka WLOT) in June - unless the new syllabus comes out very soon -
              we'll be running the old syllabus. I have seen any hints to a time
              frame from BSA yet.

              Yours in Scouting,

              ~Elaine Boyd
              Scouter in NH

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
                I need to proof read my emails better - that last sentence should read:
                I have NOT seen any hints to a time frame from BSA yet.

                And when I do finally see a date - I'll just add four months to it and
                save myself some aggravation! :-)

                ~Elaine

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
                  Rumor is the new SM/SA position specifics is out...if that is a fact, where
                  can one find it?

                  Corb Sarchet

                • Bill
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
                    Scoutstuff says it will be available 3/18/2010

                    What is changing? Anything or is it just a reprint?

                    --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Corbin Sarchet" <corbms3@...> wrote:

                    > Rumor is the new SM/SA position specifics is out...if that is a fact, where
                    > can one find it?
                    >
                    > Corb Sarchet

                  • Corbin Sarchet
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
                      I understand it is being modified to includesome outdoor skills, but we will
                      have to see.

                      Corb

                    • Bill
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 1, 2010
                        Well the version of SM Specific I have has noting on TLT, NYLT and NAYLE and nothing on how to teach a Patrol Leader on what his job is (also nothing on what a PL job is other than to help out the SPL).

                        At least I can't find anything and I have the version that mentions EDGE

                        Bill

                        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Corbin Sarchet" <corbms3@...> wrote:

                        > I understand it is being modified to includesome outdoor skills, but we will
                        > have to see.
                        >
                        > Corb

                      • Scouter Chuck
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 2, 2010
                          Bill nelson wrote:

                          > Well the version of SM Specific I have has noting on TLT, NYLT and
                          > NAYLE and nothing on how to teach a Patrol Leader on what his job
                          > is (also nothing on what a PL job is other than to help out the
                          > SPL).

                          I'd look for an older Patrol Leader's Handbook.

                          Which brings up a point. Is National going to release an updated
                          version of the PLH? Or is the PLH going to become "lost tribal
                          knowledge" in the legendarium?

                          YiS,

                          Chuck
                        • Corbin Sarchet
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 2, 2010
                            I don't know where they get the people who work on the trianing program
                            materials, but it has always been apparent in the past several decades they
                            are not people with grass roots experience in what a new SM or ASM really
                            needs to know to have successful troops...so today, we have a strippled down
                            Troop Leaders Program which covers job descriptions and almost nil on how to
                            do it; Scoutmasters basics which don't teach skills which most new
                            Scoutmasters do not know unless they have been Scouts in the past; no longer
                            a JLT for skills training for junior leaders; and Woodbadge and NYLT which
                            has stripped out outdoor skills for management skills. Program takes a way
                            back seat to numbers---membership, units and finances in the life of the
                            professionals----we make big claims about being an outdoor program, but
                            don't back it up with the training that folks need to teach Scoutcraft,
                            woodcraft, and outdoor skills, nor do we any longer have a troop based
                            program for junior leaders to learn how to instruct, how to run meetings,
                            how to work with younger youth, and the ins and outs of their troop
                            responsibilities----we tell them what a quartermaster does, but not how to
                            actually do the job.

                            Well, that is off my chest.

                            Corb