Re: [Scouter_T] Youth Protection

  • Ben Ward
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 19, 2010

      Ben Ward

      Eagle Scout Class 1999
      Heart of Virginia Council # 602

      --- On Fri, 2/19/10, Michael Dotson <michaeldotson@...> wrote:

      From: Michael Dotson <michaeldotson@...>
      Subject: [Scouter_T] Youth Protection
      To: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, February 19, 2010, 4:33 PM

      We teach in YP that an adult is to never be alone with a youth. However, when, if ever, is it acceptable for an adult to drive a (single) scout to an event so long as the adult has the permission of the scout's parents? - Never always at least 2 or more youth when one adult is in the vehicle. Or what about an emergency? - Two deep leadership required.  Related, is there an age limit, that is, what if the scout is 17 and the adult is 18?  - They are consider youth 17 and adult for 18.

      Michael

    • Kevin Pate
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 19, 2010
        Parental permission not withstanding, adults are supposed to avoid one on one situations.  The BSA standard position is one which protects both the youth and the adult.

        That said, if I was faced with the choice of driving a lad because he otherwise could not come, I'd first try to find a way to accomplish both goals, no one on one AND securing attendance.

        Best solution is arrange for someone transporting another scout or for two adults to pick him up.

        If that were not possible, and I'm certain some may gasp, I'd likely bite my lip and transport
        the lad rather than call him a cab.  Using a cab would still put him one on
        one, albeit with a total stranger.  I canna convince myself that is a
        better solution, and telling him sorry, you should of let us know earlier, but hey, we'll bring you back some pictures likewise is not the better course of action..

        But whadda I know.

      • Staci Kilpatrick
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 19, 2010
          The few times I have been forced to take a child home from an event, I either ensure that there is another person (child or adult) in the car with me OR I put the single child on a cell phone call to their parent until I get there (this ensures that I have a short trip.

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 20, 2010
            As absurd as it may seem under some situations (friends for life, one now 18
            and one just 16 or 17), the BSA standard is no one-on-one contact. So it
            seems pretty clear that you would simply not be alone with a youth. This
            BSA standard is one that is designed to protect both the youth and the
            adult. That is the way I was trained, and the way I train others.

            I know that in a life or death emergency, I would drive anyone to the
            nearest hospital or whatever. But in an "emergency" of no viable
            transportation, I would find a way to include another adult or multiple
            youths into the situation.

            Yours in Scouting,

            Brian J. Duane

            Cubmaster - Pack 105, Pembroke MA

            Assistant Scoutmaster - Troop 43, Pembroke, MA

            District Activities Chairman - Cranberry Harbors, Old Colony Council

            District Training Team - Cranberry Harbors, Old Colony Council

            "...I'm going to work my ticket if I can" - Bobwhite NE-1-261

            "Never do for a Scout what he can do for himself."
            Robert Baden-Powell

            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 2, 2010
              Age limit is 18 for all programs but Venturing where the age limit is 21.

              An 18 year old is considered an adult in the Boy Scouting program, he cannot take a 17 year Scout someplace alone.

              Two registered adult leaders, or one registered leader and a parent of a participating Scout or other adult, one of whom must be at least 21 years of age or older, are required for all trips or outings. There are a few instances, such as patrol activities, when no adult leadership is required. Coed overnight activities, even those including parent and child, require male and female adult leaders, both of whom must be 21 years of age or older, and one of whom must be a registered member of the BSA.

              You cannot transport someone else's kid alone in the car with you.

              In an emergency you try your best to follow the rules, but emergencies are emergencies.

              See the Guide to Safe Scouting:
              http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/HealthandSafety/GSS/gss01.aspx