Re: [Scouter_T] Teaching Youth Leadership in the Unit

  • Jon Baake
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 10, 2010
      I forwarded this response to my good friend and OA authority Ken Davis asking if the OA had such a role as I had not heard of such. Ken's response was:

      absolutely not; we have urged lodges to become "an integral part" of the council and help where they can, which might be help an intercity troop or even raise some money. Should they decide locally to help with YLT that is fine, but we do not make that sort of mandate or suggestion from the national level.

      Jon Baake
      NCAC

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 10, 2010
        What I am looking for are small handouts I can give a Scoutmasters/Varsity/Venturing leaders to assist them in training their youth leaders in the unit.

        Thanks!
        Bill
      • Jeanene
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 11, 2010
          Why can't your leaders use the Troop Leadership Training material for the Troop, the Team Leaders Training Seminar in the Varsity Scout Guidebook, and the Venturing Leadership Skills Course? Everything is already there.

          Jeanene in CO

          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <bnelson45@...> wrote:

          > What I am looking for are small handouts I can give a Scoutmasters/Varsity/Venturing leaders to assist them in training their youth leaders in the unit.
          >
          > Thanks!
          > Bill

        • Corbin Sarchet
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 11, 2010
            Here are some things I use..plus some borrowed ones...I use the scripts for
            role playing so they can get an idea of what is suppose to happen at Patrol
            meetings and PLC meetings.

            Corb Sarchet

            Troop 48 Orlando, FL

            Vice Chair, Fort Gatlin District, CFC

          • Bill
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 11, 2010
              I am looking for more resouces for them. Once you do TLT, what do you do in the next 6 months, or are you suggesting they keep doing TLT over and over?

              --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Jeanene" <jeanene_gage@...> wrote:

              > Why can't your leaders use the Troop Leadership Training material for the Troop, the Team Leaders Training Seminar in the Varsity Scout Guidebook, and the Venturing Leadership Skills Course? Everything is already there.
              >
              > Jeanene in CO
              >
              > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <bnelson45@> wrote:
              > >
              > > What I am looking for are small handouts I can give a Scoutmasters/Varsity/Venturing leaders to assist them in training their youth leaders in the unit.
              > >
              > > Thanks!
              > > Bill

            • JamieD
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 11, 2010
                --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <bnelson45@...> wrote:

                > I am looking for more resouces for them. Once you do TLT, what do you do in the next 6 months, or are you suggesting they keep doing TLT over and over?

                Well, yeah - you're training different people, since you've had a new election. At least a couple of them will never have taken it.

                Our mid-level boys learn different things (from the same/similar presentations). They have a new perspective, once they've had a few month of leadership under their belts. And they're older and can grasp some of the concepts more clearly.

                The senior youth do some (ideally most) of the teaching.

                So even though you're teaching the same course, it has a different "flavor" each time.
              • Bill
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 11, 2010
                  --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "JamieD" <JNDunnMN@...> wrote:
                  > Well, yeah - you're training different people, since you've had a new election. At least a couple of them will never have taken it.

                  Not in all cases. Scouts can be reelected into the same positions, and frequently are.

                  > Our mid-level boys learn different things (from the same/similar >presentations). They have a new perspective, once they've had a few >month of leadership under their belts. And they're older and can >grasp some of the concepts more clearly.

                  I want to give the Scoutmasters some alternatives rather than just say, teach TLT every 6 months and that's that.

                  > The senior youth do some (ideally most) of the teaching.
                  > So even though you're teaching the same course, it has a different "flavor" each time.

                  I have facilitated the courses. The units want more variety.
                • Jamie Niss Dunn
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 11, 2010
                    >I want to give the Scoutmasters some alternatives rather than just say, teach TLT every 6 months and that's that.

                    I'm not sure what alternative there would be - BSA has only given us one course to teach. The older youth should be attending NYLT, anyway - or something like this
                    http://www.northernstarbsa.org/News.aspx?articleID=546

                    Jamie Niss Dunn
                    Pack Trainer, Pack 512
                    Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN