Re: [Scouter_T] Sports drinks

  • Frank Toothaker
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 21, 2010
      It is absolutely essential that the correct balance of salts and water be maintained.  Too low or too high a concentration can be fatal.  The human body does an excellent job of keeping itself in balance.  If there is too much water, the kidneys excrete the excess.  If there is too much salts, the body sweats out the excess.  If sweating is required to keep the body cool, as in hiking the Grand Canyon, the body is going to sweat out salts at the same time to maintain the correct balance.

      What happens if you don’t drink water as you’re hiking?  You sweat out salt to maintain balance.  What happens then when you’re dehydrated and thirsty and drink water?  The salts concentration will then be too low.  The solution is to EAT FOOD.  Food has salts in it, and I don’t mean potato chips or French fries with extra salt.  Eat some real food and that will replenish the lost salts.  Better yet is to DRINK WHILE HIKING so the sweat is replenished and the body is not required to excrete salts in the first place.

      Gatorade and electrolyte drinks and salt pills are not needed.  They can screw up the body’s balance just as easily as drinking too much water or not enough.  Just drink water early on, and eat a little food.  The human body has been doing an excellent job for billions of years keeping the balance, and fancy store-bought drinks frankly are a waste of money.
      Frank

      --- On Thu, 1/21/10, Bill <bnelson45@...> wrote:

      Sounds like he was over hydrated. That is covered in the guide. Also the fact that you should be drinking something like Gatorade that replenishes electrolytes. See the back of the guide for more information on water poisoning. I will review the guide to make sure it is clear.

      In no case should anyone be taking salt tablets unless under a doctors supervision.

      Thanks for the feedback.

      Bill

      --- In scouter_t@yahoogrou ps.com, SM <marksusie6- 2007@...> wrote:

      > I highly urge you to make a few changes related to the necessity of salt consumption
      > I googled and found this quickly ... probably lots of other sources to help with wording (sports drinks might not be enough)

    • Bill
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 21, 2010
        I agree with Frank. Watch the Scouts and make sure they are eating and drinking appropriately for the activity and things will be OK.

        Bill