BALOO and Camping

  • William Hicks
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 10, 2001
      Everybody has been right on one big point so far:

      The BALOO book nor GSS state clearly if the pack's BALOO trained leader needs
      to attend the campout or not.

      Nothing offical has been given out on paper yet on SHAC's council policy toward
      this question. What I have been encouraging packs to do so far is send a few
      leaders, not just one, to get BALOO trained. Very seldom is it one person who
      plans every aspect of a packout anyway.

      My pack is sending the CM, ACM, comm chair (myself, i'm helping teach it) and
      who ever else wants to attend! We are also encouraging our Webelos leaders to
      go as they do their own campouts from time to time.

      The old saying, "Better safe than sorry" comes to mind!!!

      YIS,

      William

      =====
      William Hicks
      281-476-9404
      Pack 268 CC
      Bayshore District Cub Training Coordinator
      Sam Houston Area Council
      http://www.geocities.com/cubpack268

      http://im.yahoo.com/
    • Sean Scott
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 10, 2001
        Peter wrote: If we want to pick more nits, look at the first word. It's
        plural, does that mean every adult on an overnighter must be trained? After
        all every adult there should be giving leadership.

        Yeah, I can see it going both ways. The wording is vague. Now if you pick
        nits and say 'adults' plural, that makes my life happier--every adult that
        could concievably be on a campout in my district has to attend my training!
        On the other hand, they won't all want to take training, and might not
        accept the role of leader for the duration of the campout if there's that
        stipulation. So we've succeeded in alienating adults from a leadership role,
        or even participation...

        Peter also wrote: At our training team breakfast at the beginning of this
        year we had a person from the national office speak. It was indicated that
        a pack camping position was in the works. Training for this position would
        logically include BALOO. Making this person attend all pack/den/WEBELOS
        campouts would be impractical.

        Ah, but there's the rub! BALOO is not required for Webelos overnighters--OWL
        kicks in, so your BALOO leader wouldn't need to go (unless they're also the
        OWL trained Webelos leader...) Remember also that the opportunities for Cub
        Scout camping include only:

        Family camping
        Pack overnighters
        Webelos den campouts

        So there would be no further requirement for the BALOO person besides the
        pack overnighter. Den camping for non-Webelos dens is not (currently) an
        option.

        Overall, we had a very positive response from our first BALOO. Many leaders
        found the information practical and applicable to many situations outside a
        pack overnight experience, ranging from den meetings to troop campouts.
        We're choosing to promote it that way and expect a LOT of folks at our next
        trainings in December and January--maybe we'll beat the 100+ that Heart of
        America had in April! The benefit will be that many units will have multiple
        BALOO trained leaders and will be better prepared to have at least one in
        attendance at their campouts!

        Sean
        --
        Sean Scott
        Cub Roundtable Commissioner

        WM-45-2-00 - "I used to be a Buffalo..."
      • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 10, 2001
          You caught me regarding dens, and you've got me thinking. I
          interpreted my council's edict to be that all Tour Permits that
          involved camping require a leader in the pack to be BALOO trained.
          To me this included WEBELOS overnighters. Actually I think this
          question came up in one of our courses and I think the Training
          Chairwoman said that the Pack still had to have someone with BALOO
          training. I'll have to ask this point blank before the start of
          our next course.

          By the way, according to the brochure this course is intended for
          a 'new' person to come in and fill a 'need', not another task for
          the CC, CM, ACM, WDL, or DL to take on. Wink, wink.

          Anyhow, in case I've given anyone the wrong impression, BALOO
          is an excellent course even for people who are experienced campers.

          Pete Mullaney

          Patriots Path Council
          New Jersey
        • Debbie Beer
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 10, 2001
            It is for family camp outs within the pack and for pack camp outs. I
            suggest that every den have at least one person take the training that way
            everyone is covered.
            Having only one person baloo trained is a little impractical unless they
            have lots of free time and love to spend it camping with the scouts.
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 10, 2001
              The wording in 13-631 Cub Scout/ Webelos Scout Outdoor Program Guidelines for 2001 states:
              "Adults giving leadership to a pack overnighter must complete BALOO training to properly understand the importance of program intent,
              youth protection guidelines, health and safety, site selection, age appropriate activities and sufficient adult participation. Permits for
              campouts shall be issued locally. Packs are to use Local Tour Permit No. 34426."

              Then two references are given: A Guide to Safe Scouting #34416
              Camping Progam and Property Management #20-920
              I do not have the latter but G2SS latest information does not state a BALOO requirement.

              You can interpret the above paragraph as you wish. My take is 'giving leadership' implies attending and supervising the activity.

              I have not found a 'directive' in BALOO syllabus stating 'must attend' the campout. I think the implication is there.

              Lloyd
              New Orleans

              Steve Meyers wrote:

              > Hi Scouters,
              >
              > I was informed last night that a BALOO trained individual must accompany a pack on a camping event; in addition to planning the event.
              > This came from an individual that attended a Philmont Training course and received this information from a Mr. Sherman from National.
              >
              > This conflicts with information that I have heard from this list.
              > Can anyone confirm or repudiate this information with reference?
              >
              > Steve Meyers
              > Pellissippi District Cub Scout Training
              > Great Smoky Mountain Council

            • Wendell Brown
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 10, 2001
                On Fri, 10 Aug 2001 15:59:25 -0500, Lloyd Solis wrote:

                >I do not have the latter but G2SS latest information does not state a BALOO requirement.

                Actually, Lloyd the ONLINE version
                (http://www.scouting.org/pubs/gss/gss03.html) of G2SS (which is more
                recent than the most recent printed copy) says:

                "Pack Overnighters

                These are pack-organized overnight events involving more than one
                family from a single pack, focused on age-appropriate Cub Scout
                activities and conducted at council-approved locations (councils use
                Park Approval Form, No. 13-508). If nonmembers (siblings) participate,
                the event must be structured accordingly to accommodate them. BSA
                health and safety and youth protection guidelines apply. In most cases,
                each youth participant is responsible to a specific adult. Adults
                giving leadership to a pack overnighter must complete Basic Adult
                Leader Outdoor Orientation (BALOO, No. 34162) training to properly
                understand the importance of program intent, youth protection
                guidelines, health and safety, site selection, age-appropriate
                activities, and sufficient adult participation. Permits for campouts
                shall be issued locally. Packs use Local Tour Permit Application, No.
                34426."

                Wendell Brown
                Scouting The Net -- http://www.arkie.net/scouting/
                A Mini-Yahoo for the scouting community.
              • William Hicks
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 10, 2001
                  I not sure how everybody else reads it, but my view on the post Wendall just
                  posted is that the BALOO trained leader must attend the campout.

                  As far as webelos patrol campouts, I doubt BSA would hold them to a lower level
                  of health & safety standards than they would a pack campout. The books may not
                  say they have to have a BALOO trained leader in attendance, but that could
                  simply be an oversight. Until my council or national comes out with something
                  in writing that says otherwise my CM & I (comm chair) insist that webelos
                  campouts have a BALOO trained leader.

                  I have not seen the new local tour permit, BUT I am TOLD it has a place to fill
                  in the BALOO trained leader's name ATTENDING the campout. Does anybody have
                  one of these forms yet or has it been posted on the web? The wording on the
                  form may hold the key!!! evil grin

                  Thanks for the full quote Wendell! It has made up my mind as to how I will
                  present the material while doing district and pack level training.

                  YIS

                  William

                  --- Wendell Brown <wbrown@...> wrote:
                  > On Fri, 10 Aug 2001 15:59:25 -0500, Lloyd Solis wrote:
                  >
                  > >I do not have the latter but G2SS latest information does not state a BALOO
                  > requirement.
                  >
                  > Actually, Lloyd the ONLINE version
                  > (http://www.scouting.org/pubs/gss/gss03.html) of G2SS (which is more
                  > recent than the most recent printed copy) says:
                  >
                  > "Pack Overnighters
                  >
                  > These are pack-organized overnight events involving more than one
                  > family from a single pack, focused on age-appropriate Cub Scout
                  > activities and conducted at council-approved locations (councils use
                  > Park Approval Form, No. 13-508). If nonmembers (siblings) participate,
                  > the event must be structured accordingly to accommodate them. BSA
                  > health and safety and youth protection guidelines apply. In most cases,
                  > each youth participant is responsible to a specific adult. Adults
                  > giving leadership to a pack overnighter must complete Basic Adult
                  > Leader Outdoor Orientation (BALOO, No. 34162) training to properly
                  > understand the importance of program intent, youth protection
                  > guidelines, health and safety, site selection, age-appropriate
                  > activities, and sufficient adult participation. Permits for campouts
                  > shall be issued locally. Packs use Local Tour Permit Application, No.
                  > 34426."
                  >

                  > Wendell Brown
                  > Scouting The Net -- http://www.arkie.net/scouting/
                  > A Mini-Yahoo for the scouting community.

                  =====
                  William Hicks
                  281-476-9404
                  Pack 268 CC
                  Bayshore District Cub Training Coordinator
                  Sam Houston Area Council
                  http://www.geocities.com/cubpack268

                  http://im.yahoo.com/
                • Lloyd Solis
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 10, 2001
                    "Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]" wrote:

                    > Hi Sean,
                    > You certainly have a valid point but consider the
                    > following ........
                    > If we want to pick more nits, look at the first word.
                    > It's plural, does that mean every adult on an overnighter
                    > must be trained? After all every adult there should be
                    > giving leadership. I think each council will make their
                    > own interpretation. I've learned from this list that my
                    > council's take on "National's" policy is not necessarily
                    > the same in other councils.
                    >
                    > Food for thought,
                    >
                    > Pete Mullaney

                    BALOO syllabus states that at least one pack leader must be BALOO trained. It
                    also says how BALOO training is directed. "The target participant is a new Cub
                    Scout Leader who has minimal camping experience but wants to plan and carry out
                    an entry level outdoor experience for the pack."

                    Now that statement, to me, really muddies up the water. All of a sudden this
                    'brand new person' is going to be the 'pack authority' after this one 8 hour
                    training session?

                    I think it wise to have all pack leaders attend BALOO and supplement it with
                    Outdoor Leadership Fundamentals or Webelos Leader Outdoor Training. Of course,
                    I'm a training nut.

                    I really chuckle when the district and council hold overnight campouts. All of
                    these 'brand new" campers showing up after dark with brand new or borrowed
                    tents. Missing parts, few instructions, trying to put up their "Hilton Inns"
                    with a penlight and a bunch of tired whiny kids running around.
                    No concept of whether they're in a depression, run-off water channel, on a tree
                    root system guaranteed to give you a night's sleep to remember forever, or
                    under trees with dead branches just waiting for the next breeze. And then the
                    scouter in me takes over and we spend the next several hours helping get these
                    folks under their shelters. Oh, then you have to explain why they can't have
                    their individual campfires right next to their tent.
                    God, you better be watching me, I need all the points I can gather.
                    Lloyd
                  • William Hicks
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 10, 2001
                      --- Lloyd Solis <paperclp@...> wrote:

                      > the
                      > scouter in me takes over and we spend the next several hours helping get
                      > these folks under their shelters. Oh, then you have to explain why they can't
                      >have their individual campfires right next to their tent.
                      > God, you better be watching me, I need all the points I can gather.
                      > Lloyd

                      Been There Done That Brother! I feel your pain!

                      I had two families show up to a council campout where my pack was sharing a
                      campsite with another pack. It was about 1 am and I awake to two fathers
                      trying to put up a monster three room tent with the two moms holding the
                      flashlights where they think their husbands should be looking while the 6 kids
                      (all wolf age or younger) try to "help dad"!

                      Luckily I had the exact same tent for when my wife goes camping with the boys
                      and I. I got out a few lanterns and had them in their sleeping bags in 30
                      minutes or so.

                      They were wonderful people (the next morning when we met with the sun up) but
                      it was their first campout ever and their pack had told them nothing as to what
                      to expect or what to bring.

                      We are all soft hearted souls are we not???

                      YIS

                      William

                      =====

                    • colemans@ma.ultranet.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 11, 2001
                        If helping these first time campers is causing us pain, it's no wonder
                        so many families don't come back for a second time. Every camper has
                        been out on their first time and if that experience is a happy one,
                        they'll be back. However, if that experience is marked by memories of
                        camping elitists in tan-shirts, shorts and two color socks, those
                        families won't be back.

                        Yes, BALOO training will help and the more people that are trained,
                        the better, but BALOO is not going to make people better campers, nor
                        is OWL. It's camping that makes people better campers and first timers
                        are rookies trying something new.

                        I remember my first cub overnight with my son and it wasn't perfect by
                        any stretch of the imagination and I had been a cub leader for a
                        couple of years by then. As an assistant cubmaster and Camp
                        volunteer, I help sell the camp programs of my council. As a Webelos
                        Den Leader, I try to get Webelos out camping before their crossover in
                        order to get them ready. If I convince a boy and his parents to
                        attend one of these events, I hope they do not run into any
                        condescending non-"first-time" campers who find their difficulties
                        fodder for public griping.

                        Chris Coleman
                        WDL, CA Pack 17 Fitchburg, MA
                        CSRTC Massasoit District, Nashua Valley Council

                        --- In scouter_t@y..., William Hicks <williamhicks@y...> wrote:

                        > --- Lloyd Solis <paperclp@s...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > the
                        > > scouter in me takes over and we spend the next several hours
                        helping get
                        > > these folks under their shelters. Oh, then you have to explain why
                        they can't
                        > >have their individual campfires right next to their tent.
                        > > God, you better be watching me, I need all the points I can
                        gather.
                        > > Lloyd
                        > >

                        > Been There Done That Brother! I feel your pain!

                        > YIS
                        >
                        > William
                      • William
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 11, 2001
                          Hey Chris,

                          I think you mis-understood my post. By no means did I intend to
                          insult or gripe about the first time campers I have experienced.
                          Just the opposite.

                          If you read the last line of my post I state that "we are all just a
                          bunch of soft hearted souls." meaning that as Scouts we help someone
                          who needs it even if it does mean getting out of a night warm
                          sleeping bag at 1 am on a 35 degree night.

                          My first camping trip with my son (he was a wolf) was just as bad. I
                          had to borrow most of the equipment we had with us.

                          The point of the post was that the pack this family was with did not
                          prepare them! I may have not made my point very clear, I tend to
                          ramble when telling stories.

                          Please please please do nto think I was saying anything bad about the
                          first time campers. I was one too and I welcomed all the help I
                          could get!!

                          YIS...

                          William