Link to training updates regarding TDC and Trainers EDGE

  • Ryan L
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 28, 2009
      I didn't print or make a copy of the link to the page on scouting.org that talked about TDC still being a valid training, just not the training required for WB and NYLT staffs. When I search scouting.org I only find the newest Training news.

      I'm told there is a bug with the yahoo groups that prevent posts during parts of 2009 from showing up in search results which would explain why I can't find the post about TDC and Trainers EDGE by searching the group.

      Do one of you friendly scouters still have a link or the information that was posted regarding Trainers EDGE not completely replacing the TDC?

      Ryan
      Ore-Ida Council
    • Jamie Niss Dunn
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 28, 2009
        <<Do one of you friendly scouters still have a link or the information that was posted regarding Trainers EDGE not completely replacing the TDC?>>

        Does this help?

        http://www.scouting.org/about/factsheets/volunteertraining.aspx

        or this:

        http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/BoyScouts/Adults/Training.aspx

        Jamie Niss Dunn
        Pack Trainer, Pack 512
        Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
        Troop Committee, Troop 509
        Ham Lake, MN
        Cub Scout Training Coordinator
        Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
        Three Rivers District

      • Ryan L
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 28, 2009
          Thanks Jaime. That is partially what I'm looking for. I also saw the 2nd link you gave but it is not clear that TDC is still a valid training.

          The 1st link shows TDC as supplemental training for Cub Scout Leaders but not Boy Scout or Venturing adults.

          I just remember a similar training update page on scouting.org that had a paragraph at the bottom of the page about how Trainers EDGE did not entirely replace the TDC.

          Ryan
          Ore-Ida Council
        • Jamie Niss Dunn
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 28, 2009
            I remember that too. I found the November Training update, but not any of the earlier ones.

            Jamie Niss Dunn
            Pack Trainer, Pack 512
            Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
            Troop Committee, Troop 509
            Ham Lake, MN
            Cub Scout Training Coordinator
            Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
            Three Rivers District

          • Rick Pushies
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 28, 2009
              Hi Ryan,

              Sometimes things are rather hard to find on the new & improved BSA web site.
              That is just the way it is, not an intentional criticism.

              If you open this Fact Sheet on Volunteer Training that was created in August
              2009, you will find both the Trainer Development Conference (TDC)and
              Trainer's EDGE listed.

              http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/210-539.pdf

              There is also a Fact Sheet on Youth Leadership Training at:

              http://www.scouting.org/About/FactSheets/YouthMemberTraining.aspx

              I'm looking forward to seeing the BSA Fact Sheet on Council Leadership
              <http://ricksnews.pushies.com/council_leadership.htm> Training. J This too
              shall come to pass.

              I remember seeing the post about TDC still being a valid training course.
              Who know where it is now hiding. Those dang electrons are hard to manage
              sometimes.J

              If you need more give us a jingle!

              Rick

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 28, 2009
                Rick Pushies wrote:

                > Sometimes things are rather hard to find on the new & improved BSA web site.
                > That is just the way it is, not an intentional criticism.
                [snip rest]

                I have yet to find an easily navigable website, where the "delf explanitory" links
                really were.

                What's really beginning to get my goat is the 176 character URLs that seem to
                be code for plain English. Adding insult to injury is the proiblem with my IE8
                blocking "TinyURL.com" as a security risk!

                All I can do is quote a previous employer: "Thanks, Bill!"

                YiS,

                Chuck Bramlet
                Thunderbird District
                Grand Canyon Council
                Phoeniux, AZ
                antelope95@...
              • Rick Rambo
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 28, 2009
                  Rick

                  Thanx for the link and I intend to bring this up at out council training.

                  HOWEVER, I do not like the idea that is imparted that TDC is for cub scout
                  leaders and Trainer's Edge is for Boy Scout Leaders. I am sure this was not
                  intentional, but in looking at the over all layout of the sheet (and the
                  page on National's site) listing the TDC under Cub Leaders and TE under Boy
                  Scout Leaders, it does nothing for those who have not already honed basic
                  training skills by the time they are BS volunteers (often an entry level
                  spot.)

                  Rick

                  http://www.scouting <http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/210-539.pdf>

                  <http://ricksnews. <http://ricksnews.pushies.com/council_leadership.htm>

                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 28, 2009
                    Hi Rick,

                    I get your point about the Trainer Development Conference (TDC) appearing to
                    being linked specifically to just Cub Scout leaders because of where it
                    falls in the list of training courses. However, all of us really smart
                    volunteer trainers know that TDC & Trainer's EDGE both belong under the
                    heading of "Training for All Volunteers." If we could just find the posting
                    on the Training Update pages from a few months back that discusses this
                    topic, it would clear that issue quickly.

                    Until then, let's just pretend we get it and that someday those creating
                    these "Fact Sheets" will catch up to us really smart volunteer trainers! J
                    If they would just ask for some help, I bet they would get plenty of good
                    solid help from the volunteers!

                    By the way, Happy New Year & Happy 100th Anniversary to the Boy Scouts of
                    America!

                    Yours Truly in Service,

                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 29, 2009
                      I agree with both Rick's below on all points. Maybe less so on the "really smart" part, I just try real hard. ;-)

                      Would be nice if we could find that link again... The new council training committee chairman is convinced TDC is obsolete. Probably just as well. I'm guessing the TDC wouldn't happen anyway unless I made it happen and I don't really need another big task like that in any foreseeable future. Guess I'll just read the syllabus and self train.

                      Ryan
                      Ore-Ida Council

                      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Pushies" <rick@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Rick,
                      >

                      > I get your point about the Trainer Development Conference (TDC) appearing to
                      > being linked specifically to just Cub Scout leaders because of where it
                      > falls in the list of training courses. However, all of us really smart
                      > volunteer trainers know that TDC & Trainer's EDGE both belong under the
                      > heading of "Training for All Volunteers." If we could just find the posting
                      > on the Training Update pages from a few months back that discusses this
                      > topic, it would clear that issue quickly.
                      >

                      > Until then, let's just pretend we get it and that someday those creating
                      > these "Fact Sheets" will catch up to us really smart volunteer trainers! J
                      > If they would just ask for some help, I bet they would get plenty of good
                      > solid help from the volunteers!
                      >

                      > By the way, Happy New Year & Happy 100th Anniversary to the Boy Scouts of
                      > America!
                      >

                      > Yours Truly in Service,
                      >
                      > Rick

                    • David Sears
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 2, 2010
                        Ryan and Fellow Scouting Trainers,

                        I'm responding a few days late, and you have already received some excellent responses.
                        So without re-posting any links, I'd like to comment on what I recall from the introduction page on EDGE.

                        I recall the statement that EDGE replaces TDC for NYLT, NAYLE and Wood Badge.

                        Many fellow Scouters misquoted and abbreviated that statement to EDGE has replaced TDC.

                        EDGE is an excellent method for teaching skill that can be repeated.  But TDC seems to be an introductory course on how to relate to learners and teach concepts.

                        I've debated with local fellow trainers.  They have settled their opinion and happy with the abbreviated statement, I have my own opinion of what is written in black and white.

                        Scouting Forever and Venture On!
                        Dave