Re: [Scouter_T] Re: FAQs to Pilot Councils of Required Training

  • Jamie Niss Dunn
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 26, 2009
      Jim asks:

      <<Q. What about teaching Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills?
      .... Also, all Advisors of Venturing crews that have an outdoor program must complete Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills.

      Does this constitute a new requirement>>
      I don't ever recall seeing this before. I do vaguely recall it may have been 'suggested' for Venturing Advisors when the new courses were introduced 10 years ago, but that's a very vague recollection.

      Jamie Niss Dunn
      Pack Trainer, Pack 512
      Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
      Troop Committee, Troop 509
      Ham Lake, MN
      Cub Scout Training Coordinator
      Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
      Three Rivers District

    • doc marshall
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 26, 2009
        Not sure if this is a "new" requirement but I would certainly hope that any Crew Advisor with a High Adventure program would be well trained in Outdoor Skills - and that should be over and above the basic skill level taught in IOLS.
        Yours in Service,
        Doc Marshall

        Q. What about teaching Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills?
        .... Also, all Advisors of Venturing crews that have an outdoor program must complete Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills.

        Does this constitute a new requirement

        Jim Burns
        Ottawa, KS 66067

      • bnelson45
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 29, 2009
          Yes, it would appear so:

          see: "what makes a trained leader" at the national site:

          Venturing Crew Leaders

          Venturing crew leaders and assistants must complete Venturing Leader Specific Training, a five-session training course, to be considered fully trained. Venturing crew leaders whose crews have an outdoor program must also complete Introduction to Outdoor Skills training to be considered fully trained.

          http://scouting.org/sitecore/content/Home/BoyScouts/Adults/Training/Trained%20Leader.aspx

          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "James" <jtburns@...> wrote:

          > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "bnelson45" <bnelson45@> wrote:
          > >
          > > On National's site: http://www.scouting.org/training/faqs.aspx
          > > <http://www.scouting.org/training/faqs.aspx>

          > Q. What about teaching Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills?
          > .... Also, all Advisors of Venturing crews that have an outdoor program must complete Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills.
          >
          > Does this constitute a new requirement
          >
          > Jim Burns
          > Ottawa, KS 66067

        • Ryan L
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 29, 2009
            I saw this info on national's website recently too. I find it annoying news personally.

            IOLS, as it is currently written, is training for Scoutmasters to learn and learn how to teach the outdoor skills for Tenderfoot to 1st Class in Boy Scouts. I've been to the training and it was good training, but it is not Venturing specific.

            The only way I'm ok with this is if IOLS is one of the courses being rewritten, but I don't believe it is. The emphasis was on the leadership courses (TLT, NYLT, NAYLE, Kodiak, WB) correct? But even then, if IOLS is written for everyone it is just a continuation of the one-size-fits-all approach that seems to be popular with the current Volunteer Development (Training) people currently.

            Ryan
            Ore-Ida Council
            Associate Advisor
            Meridian district Forum Commissioner
            Varsity Scouting and Venturing Trainer
            Council Venturing Committee

          • gottshalld@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 29, 2009
              Ryan,

              This is just a continuation of the shoot from the hip, let the chips
              fall where they may, work out the issues of the fly training changes
              that we have seen from National over the past year or two.

              - TLT roll out without prior EDGE familiarization to Boy Scout adult
              leaders through incorporation in adult-specific training.
              - Add venturers (boys and girls) to NYLT without notification to the
              previous audience (whatever happened to Ages and Stages)?
              - Continued confusion/misunderstanding about TDC and Trainer's EDGE.
              - IOLS for venturing adults.

              Of course, all of this with pretty much no change to curricula. Who is
              kidding who here ... and we are moving to make this fiasco mandatory.
              Please National, at least make the effort to provide the appearance
              that someone is at the wheel here.

              We have now dropped scoutcraft to basically one course that applies to
              Webelos, Boy Scout, and Venturing adults - one size fits all - at the
              lowest common denominator. I guess that we should expect no less from
              the authors of the one size fits all Wood Badge.

              Now if we could only find a way to make Scout Net track all of this
              inter-program equivalency.

              Can refresher training be far away?

              ... just watching the chips fall ... and we wonder why they leave.

              Dave Gottshall
              Boston Minuteman Council
            • bnelson45
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 30, 2009
                IOLS is one of the courses scheduled to be revised this year.

                Bill