FAQs to Pilot Councils of Required Training

  • bnelson45
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 26, 2009
      On National's site: http://www.scouting.org/training/faqs.aspx
      <http://www.scouting.org/training/faqs.aspx>

    • James
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 26, 2009
        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "bnelson45" <bnelson45@...> wrote:

        > On National's site: http://www.scouting.org/training/faqs.aspx
        > <http://www.scouting.org/training/faqs.aspx>

        Q. What about teaching Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills?
        .... Also, all Advisors of Venturing crews that have an outdoor program must complete Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills.

        Does this constitute a new requirement

        Jim Burns
        Ottawa, KS 66067
      • Jamie Niss Dunn
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 26, 2009
          Jim asks:

          <<Q. What about teaching Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills?
          .... Also, all Advisors of Venturing crews that have an outdoor program must complete Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills.

          Does this constitute a new requirement>>
          I don't ever recall seeing this before. I do vaguely recall it may have been 'suggested' for Venturing Advisors when the new courses were introduced 10 years ago, but that's a very vague recollection.

          Jamie Niss Dunn
          Pack Trainer, Pack 512
          Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
          Troop Committee, Troop 509
          Ham Lake, MN
          Cub Scout Training Coordinator
          Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
          Three Rivers District

        • doc marshall
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 26, 2009
            Not sure if this is a "new" requirement but I would certainly hope that any Crew Advisor with a High Adventure program would be well trained in Outdoor Skills - and that should be over and above the basic skill level taught in IOLS.
            Yours in Service,
            Doc Marshall

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 29, 2009
              Yes, it would appear so:

              see: "what makes a trained leader" at the national site:

              Venturing Crew Leaders

              Venturing crew leaders and assistants must complete Venturing Leader Specific Training, a five-session training course, to be considered fully trained. Venturing crew leaders whose crews have an outdoor program must also complete Introduction to Outdoor Skills training to be considered fully trained.

              http://scouting.org/sitecore/content/Home/BoyScouts/Adults/Training/Trained%20Leader.aspx

              --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "James" <jtburns@...> wrote:

              > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "bnelson45" <bnelson45@> wrote:
              > >
              > > On National's site: http://www.scouting.org/training/faqs.aspx
              > > <http://www.scouting.org/training/faqs.aspx>

              > Q. What about teaching Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills?
              > .... Also, all Advisors of Venturing crews that have an outdoor program must complete Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills.
              >
              > Does this constitute a new requirement
              >
              > Jim Burns
              > Ottawa, KS 66067

            • Ryan L
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 29, 2009
                I saw this info on national's website recently too. I find it annoying news personally.

                IOLS, as it is currently written, is training for Scoutmasters to learn and learn how to teach the outdoor skills for Tenderfoot to 1st Class in Boy Scouts. I've been to the training and it was good training, but it is not Venturing specific.

                The only way I'm ok with this is if IOLS is one of the courses being rewritten, but I don't believe it is. The emphasis was on the leadership courses (TLT, NYLT, NAYLE, Kodiak, WB) correct? But even then, if IOLS is written for everyone it is just a continuation of the one-size-fits-all approach that seems to be popular with the current Volunteer Development (Training) people currently.

                Ryan
                Ore-Ida Council
                Associate Advisor
                Meridian district Forum Commissioner
                Varsity Scouting and Venturing Trainer
                Council Venturing Committee

              • gottshalld@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 29, 2009
                  Ryan,

                  This is just a continuation of the shoot from the hip, let the chips
                  fall where they may, work out the issues of the fly training changes
                  that we have seen from National over the past year or two.

                  - TLT roll out without prior EDGE familiarization to Boy Scout adult
                  leaders through incorporation in adult-specific training.
                  - Add venturers (boys and girls) to NYLT without notification to the
                  previous audience (whatever happened to Ages and Stages)?
                  - Continued confusion/misunderstanding about TDC and Trainer's EDGE.
                  - IOLS for venturing adults.

                  Of course, all of this with pretty much no change to curricula. Who is
                  kidding who here ... and we are moving to make this fiasco mandatory.
                  Please National, at least make the effort to provide the appearance
                  that someone is at the wheel here.

                  We have now dropped scoutcraft to basically one course that applies to
                  Webelos, Boy Scout, and Venturing adults - one size fits all - at the
                  lowest common denominator. I guess that we should expect no less from
                  the authors of the one size fits all Wood Badge.

                  Now if we could only find a way to make Scout Net track all of this
                  inter-program equivalency.

                  Can refresher training be far away?

                  ... just watching the chips fall ... and we wonder why they leave.

                  Dave Gottshall
                  Boston Minuteman Council
                • bnelson45
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 30, 2009
                    IOLS is one of the courses scheduled to be revised this year.

                    Bill