Re: Trained Patch for Den Chiefs

  • scoutersturdivant
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 16, 2009
      Consult your council training chair in regard to training requirements in addition to the online training to complete the Den Chief training.

      On Mon, November 16, 2009 4:50 am, scouter_t@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      > online fast start training does not complete training for a den chief
      > herb d
    • Bill Ferguson
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 16, 2009
        Thanks for the clarification on position, and here's a question that has
        perhaps been fielded and answered before: Does the patch match the uniform
        version? (That is, does the red patch go with the old uniform and the green
        patch go with the Centennial uniform?) Or, is the red patch for "Trained"
        certification regarding Cub Scout courses and the green patch for Boy
        Scout-related training? I believe that the former is the case (Patch matches
        uniform--were there two different patches when only the "old" uniform was
        issued?), but I have been told the latter by certain councils and by some
        folks at scoutstuff.org.

        Now, I admit I haven't checked our insignia manual--is this answered there?

        YIS

        Bill Ferguson

      • Jamie Niss Dunn
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 16, 2009
          Or, is the red patch for "Trained"
          certification regarding Cub Scout courses and the green patch for Boy
          Scout-related training?
          ++++++++++++

          The latest Insignia Guide specifies red for Cub Scout Leaders and Green for Boy Scout/district positions. I don't remember which one Venturing people get.

          Jamie Niss Dunn
          Pack Trainer, Pack 512
          Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
          Troop Committee, Troop 509
          Ham Lake, MN
          Cub Scout Training Coordinator
          Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
          Three Rivers District

          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 17, 2009
            No matter which uniform version they wear? (old or new)

            connie

            --- On Mon, 11/16/09, Jamie Niss Dunn <JNDunnMN@...> wrote:

            Or, is the red patch for "Trained"
            certification regarding Cub Scout courses and the green patch for Boy
            Scout-related training?
          • Jon Baake
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 17, 2009
              The uniform version only dictates where the patch is placed, not the color of the patch. For the old uniform it is below the position patch as it always has been. For the new uniform it on the flap of the pocket on the sleve.

              Jon

              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 17, 2009
                Ok great!! I need to make sure I catch up on all of the emails before I post a question....thanks for the clarification............

                connie

                --- On Sat, 11/14/09, Jamie Niss Dunn <JNDunnMN@...> wrote:

                My understanding was Boy Scouts and Boy Scout Leaders wear the green trained patch (and numbers) on both the old and new uniform and that Cub Scout Leaders wear the new red trained patch (it's a little smaller than the old red trained patch) on their uniforms. Location is on the pocket flap for the new uniform and and below the position patch on the old uniform regardless of the color of the patch. This is how it was explained to me by a clerk in our local Scout Shop. Someone please set me straight if this is wrong.
              • hadulzo
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 17, 2009
                  http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/Media/InsigniaGuide/06I.aspx

                  Trained Leader emblem, Boy Scout junior leaders who have completed troop junior leader training and den chiefs who have completed the den chief training conference may wear the Trained Leader emblem beneath their badge of office.

                  Note: The Trained Leader emblem may be worn only in connection with the emblem of office for which training has been completed.

                  Herb d

                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 17, 2009
                    No matter which uniform version they wear? (old or new)

                    The 2009-2010 Insignia Guide is mostly silent on differences between any earlier uniforms and the Centennial uniform. The only concession is the illustrations for the left sleeve which show the alternate placement of position patches, trained strips and the Commissioner Arrowhead on the Centennial uniform. Other than that there is no reference to the new uniform, as far as I recall.

                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 17, 2009
                      Reality check here.....I certainly hope as leaders we don't critize a fully uniformed scout with the "wrong color" trained patch.

                      herb d
                    • Jon Baake
                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 18, 2009
                        If it's a scout with the wrong color patch it is no doubt an adult that gave it to the scout. That adult should be apprised of the correct color patch to be handing out. I can think of no circumstance where cub scouts (boys) could earn a trained patch so this makes it simple - always give the boys green trained patches. And there is the case where the scout may have earned the red trained patch before the new uniform came out. Nothing I have seen says he has to rip all the old patches off and convert to the new ones.

                        Jon
                        NCAC

                        reen patches----- Original Message -----

                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 18, 2009
                          I can think of at least one reason to use the red patch. If the troop still has 10 of them in stock then it is economical and environmentally friendly to use them.

                          herb d