Re: [Scouter_T] OWL & Baloo

  • Lloyd Solis
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 9, 2001
      Peter J Murray wrote:

      > Hey All,
      >
      > From my understanding, OWLT (Outdoor WEBELOS Leader Training) was
      > changed to OLT a few years back, to make sure the Wolf and Bear Leaders were
      > included. It seems that they were waiting until they were a WEBELOS Den
      > Leader to take the class, and by then it was really too late for some to
      > really benefit for the boys.
      >
      > Several years ago, in an effort to "spice up" OLT, we nicknamed our
      > OLT "Camp Baloo" and then really made an effort to energize it with fun and
      > songs. Our classes went from 10 or so to thirty or more, with people coming
      > from other districts to join us. The biggest modification of the syllabus
      > was in the cooking portion, where we added four classes, which were
      > presented at breakfast, lunch, dinner and Sunday breakfast. This way they
      > got hands on basic instruction in how to cook out of doors. If you want the
      > menus, just holler. I have them on an excel spreadsheet.
      >
      > Even with the addition of "Baloo", we still refer to our OLT as
      > "Camp Baloo" and that works out well. The participants see the former as the
      > book learning, and the latter as the practical experience. Best of all, it
      > appears to be a more integrated approach, and they see one as the
      > progression of the other. Without "WEBELOS" as part of the name, it is also
      > seen as open to all... including Tiger moms and dads!
      >
      > "Fla-Bob" Pete Murray (The Florida Bobwhite)
      > Dad
      > Troop 7 Assistant Scoutmaster
      > Wekiwa District Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner (www.wekiwa.org)
      > Central Fl Council Asst Commissioner in charge of Boy Scout
      > Roundtables

      WOW! This seems like the perfect mix to have a new BALOO training scheduled and
      then offer the supplemental CAMP BALOO to immediately follow - since BALOO is a
      stand-alone designated program. I think that if you can run BALOO at camp rather
      than 'at home' you might just get commitments to 'spend the rest of the weekend'
      and take "Camp Baloo". The only missing item might be the 'second breakfast'; a
      cracker barrel could easily replace that - adding that extra touch. The dinner
      could come on the Saturday night instead of the Sunday evening. That would allow
      'breaking camp' earlier on Sunday.
      I've thought, since buying BALOO, last December that the program is really
      incomplete. Sure, it does what it says it will. It gives the basics for
      'preparing a camping trip'.
      What it doesn't do is give a practical application of planning the entire first
      campout. You don't spend the night out of doors and in a tent. Lots of things
      happen after dark. For those camping for the first time, waking up with water in
      your tent or dead branches between you and your tent mate (or across both of
      you) can be as real an eye-opener as frantically searching for a lost boy in the
      middle of the night. That first night 'under the stars' can be as traumatic for
      a first time adult as it is for a first time youth. We need the adults
      experienced overnight campers before adding the responsibilities of youth
      safety. Camp Baloo, WOLT, Outdoor Leader Skills all would accomplish that.
      Do you have a syllabus of your Camp Baloo available to the list?

      YiS
      Lloyd
    • Wendell Brown
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 9, 2001
        A new 4 page color brochure describing the New Leader Training program
        is now in the files area of Scouter_T. This brochure contains
        information like:

        What Makes a Trained Leader?
        How Long Will Training Sessions Last?
        Benefits of New Leader Essentials
        Description of each new course (BALOO is not mentioned)

        The file name is NewLeaderTraining.pdf and is in the main file area.

        Wendell Brown - Quapaw Area Council Cub Camping Chairman