Re: [Scouter_T] OWL & Baloo

  • Jon T. Patten
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 8, 2001
      At least here in the Pine Tree Council (Maine) where there is
      mandatory leader training, BALOO is required before one can take
      their unit camping. The target audience for the Cub Scouts side
      is Cub Scout Den Leaders, Cubmaster and Assistant Cubmasters. For
      us this requirement starts September 1st of this year. The trained
      leader has to be at the camp outs.

      Jon Patten
      Cubmaster Pack 74
      Training Team Member - Casco Bay District

      Sean Scott wrote:

      > You are correct when you stated only one person has to be Baloo
      > trained, but
      > that one person has to then attend every campout. And that's not
      > always
      > possible. So to keep from having to postpone events or cancel them at
      > the
      > last minute, it would help if each pack can get a few different people
      > (CM,
      > ACM, DLs, anybody going on the campouts) Baloo trained.
      > -----
      > Actually, I believe that it's only the person that *plans* the campout
      > that
      > must be BALOO trained--I don't think there is a specific requirement
      > that
      > they attend the actual campout itself. Still, it's a good idea to have
      > more
      > than one person trained. Of course, I may be wrong....
      >
      > Sean
      > --
      > Sean Scott
      > Cub Roundtable Commissioner
      > Training Chairman
      > Day Camp Director, Tahquitz District

      some snipped.
    • Peter J Murray
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 9, 2001
        Hey All,

        From my understanding, OWLT (Outdoor WEBELOS Leader Training) was
        changed to OLT a few years back, to make sure the Wolf and Bear Leaders were
        included. It seems that they were waiting until they were a WEBELOS Den
        Leader to take the class, and by then it was really too late for some to
        really benefit for the boys.

        Several years ago, in an effort to "spice up" OLT, we nicknamed our
        OLT "Camp Baloo" and then really made an effort to energize it with fun and
        songs. Our classes went from 10 or so to thirty or more, with people coming
        from other districts to join us. The biggest modification of the syllabus
        was in the cooking portion, where we added four classes, which were
        presented at breakfast, lunch, dinner and Sunday breakfast. This way they
        got hands on basic instruction in how to cook out of doors. If you want the
        menus, just holler. I have them on an excel spreadsheet.

        Even with the addition of "Baloo", we still refer to our OLT as
        "Camp Baloo" and that works out well. The participants see the former as the
        book learning, and the latter as the practical experience. Best of all, it
        appears to be a more integrated approach, and they see one as the
        progression of the other. Without "WEBELOS" as part of the name, it is also
        seen as open to all... including Tiger moms and dads!

        "Fla-Bob" Pete Murray (The Florida Bobwhite)
        Dad
        Troop 7 Assistant Scoutmaster
        Wekiwa District Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner (www.wekiwa.org)
        Central Fl Council Asst Commissioner in charge of Boy Scout
        Roundtables
      • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 9, 2001
          > ----------
          > From: William Hicks
          >

          > Thanks for the input Kent.
          >
          > You are correct when you stated only one person has to be Baloo trained,
          > but
          > that one person has to then attend every campout*. And that's not always
          > possible. So to keep from having to postpone events or cancel them at the
          > last
          > minute, it would help if each pack can get a few different people (CM,
          > ACM,
          > DLs, anybody going on the campouts) Baloo trained.

          * Not true, the trained person is supposed to be involved in the
          organization/planning of the campout to ensure that it will be a
          success, he/she does not necessarily have to attend.

          Pete Mullaney
        • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 9, 2001
            The one thing missing from the paragraph below is siblings. My
            Pack's summertime camping is FAMILY Camping and siblings must be
            included in the planning stage. I've done the 'Planning' segment
            for two courses and I like to emphasize the importance of a well
            developed (and flexible) plan.

            my $0.03,
            Pete Mullaney

            > ----------
            > From: William Hicks
            >
            > Thanks for the fast reply Sean. It sounds like BALOO is a lot more than
            > what
            > was explained to me. I will hit the files tonight and see what I can get
            > done.
            >
            > Thanks agian!!
            >
            > YIS
            >

            > > BALOO is aimed at the leader planning a Pack campout, which may include
            > > Tigers, Wolves, Bears and Webelos Scouts. The emphasis of this training
            > is
            > > on preparing the leader to plan and conduct a quality, safe, enjoyable
            > > camping experience for all ages in the pack. It is intended for any
            > leader
            > > in the pack, preferably one that isn't filling another function already,
            > > though.

          • Lloyd Solis
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 9, 2001
              Peter J Murray wrote:

              > Hey All,
              >
              > From my understanding, OWLT (Outdoor WEBELOS Leader Training) was
              > changed to OLT a few years back, to make sure the Wolf and Bear Leaders were
              > included. It seems that they were waiting until they were a WEBELOS Den
              > Leader to take the class, and by then it was really too late for some to
              > really benefit for the boys.
              >
              > Several years ago, in an effort to "spice up" OLT, we nicknamed our
              > OLT "Camp Baloo" and then really made an effort to energize it with fun and
              > songs. Our classes went from 10 or so to thirty or more, with people coming
              > from other districts to join us. The biggest modification of the syllabus
              > was in the cooking portion, where we added four classes, which were
              > presented at breakfast, lunch, dinner and Sunday breakfast. This way they
              > got hands on basic instruction in how to cook out of doors. If you want the
              > menus, just holler. I have them on an excel spreadsheet.
              >
              > Even with the addition of "Baloo", we still refer to our OLT as
              > "Camp Baloo" and that works out well. The participants see the former as the
              > book learning, and the latter as the practical experience. Best of all, it
              > appears to be a more integrated approach, and they see one as the
              > progression of the other. Without "WEBELOS" as part of the name, it is also
              > seen as open to all... including Tiger moms and dads!
              >
              > "Fla-Bob" Pete Murray (The Florida Bobwhite)
              > Dad
              > Troop 7 Assistant Scoutmaster
              > Wekiwa District Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner (www.wekiwa.org)
              > Central Fl Council Asst Commissioner in charge of Boy Scout
              > Roundtables

              WOW! This seems like the perfect mix to have a new BALOO training scheduled and
              then offer the supplemental CAMP BALOO to immediately follow - since BALOO is a
              stand-alone designated program. I think that if you can run BALOO at camp rather
              than 'at home' you might just get commitments to 'spend the rest of the weekend'
              and take "Camp Baloo". The only missing item might be the 'second breakfast'; a
              cracker barrel could easily replace that - adding that extra touch. The dinner
              could come on the Saturday night instead of the Sunday evening. That would allow
              'breaking camp' earlier on Sunday.
              I've thought, since buying BALOO, last December that the program is really
              incomplete. Sure, it does what it says it will. It gives the basics for
              'preparing a camping trip'.
              What it doesn't do is give a practical application of planning the entire first
              campout. You don't spend the night out of doors and in a tent. Lots of things
              happen after dark. For those camping for the first time, waking up with water in
              your tent or dead branches between you and your tent mate (or across both of
              you) can be as real an eye-opener as frantically searching for a lost boy in the
              middle of the night. That first night 'under the stars' can be as traumatic for
              a first time adult as it is for a first time youth. We need the adults
              experienced overnight campers before adding the responsibilities of youth
              safety. Camp Baloo, WOLT, Outdoor Leader Skills all would accomplish that.
              Do you have a syllabus of your Camp Baloo available to the list?

              YiS
              Lloyd
            • Wendell Brown
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 9, 2001
                A new 4 page color brochure describing the New Leader Training program
                is now in the files area of Scouter_T. This brochure contains
                information like:

                What Makes a Trained Leader?
                How Long Will Training Sessions Last?
                Benefits of New Leader Essentials
                Description of each new course (BALOO is not mentioned)

                The file name is NewLeaderTraining.pdf and is in the main file area.

                Wendell Brown - Quapaw Area Council Cub Camping Chairman