PowWow Scheduling

  • gmgolub
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 28, 2009
      I'm part of a committee to help organize our upcoming PowWow. One of my duties will be to help organize the roster for the attendees. Is anyone here using free scheduling software to assign folks to the various courses? I'm looking for recommendations.

      Thanks,

      Gary Golub
      Vice Chair for Cub Training - Washington District
      Webelos Den Leader / Pack Trainer - Cub Pack 410
      Wood Badge NE-IV 213
    • Sandra Martens
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 28, 2009
        I always created a data base.  that way I could sort by each hour, then class to see how many were in each session.

        Sandy OWL

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 28, 2009
          I have tried in the past to schedule classes from a list of participants choices. This can be vary difficult. This last year we had classes given to a preassigned time. This works out much easier, the only problem is class overload which is why we asked the participants to select alternate classes.

          Yours In Scouting

          Mike Crothers

          Unit Commissioner

          Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner

          Lagonda District, Tecumseh Council

          and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13

          and I used to be a good old Fox WE4-57-06

          From: gmgolub <knightmare1966@ verizon.net>

          To: scouter_t@yahoogrou ps.com

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 29, 2009
            Norther Star Council just put the wraps on our Fall University of
            Scouting last Saturday. This year we used the services of
            www.123signup.com for all registration and course assignment. This
            service has received universal RAVE reviews from our UofS organizers
            that I've spoken with. It was easy to except registrations and collect
            payment up to the last day. The course registration reports printed out
            simply and easily; attendees received their schedules and instructors
            had their class lists. Check-in was easy. We had reduced walk-in
            registrations. No course was over subscribed.

            However, it is not free. They charge a 1-time setup fee of $99, and
            3.5% per registration fee (minimum of $1, this is the rate for
            individual registration fees of less that $100). Maybe this is a
            deal-breaker.

            I went and looked up their pricing to find out if this would be even
            worth considering for our district training. It would be pretty steep
            for a 25 person course ($5/person overhead). Not a reasonable luxury
            for small events.

            - Chad
            Northern Star Council, Chief Black Dog
            Cub Training Chair
            Apple Valley, MN

          • mcquaidfam@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 29, 2009
              If you are handy with MS Access, I have a database that you load in the learner info, generate a personal id, then load in their choices.  You have to assign each class a time and an id.  I can generate a list for learners of what they are taking, when and the room number and instructor.  I can generate a list for instructors of who is in the class.  I use that list to fill in cards that I built a template for (yup, I got the sheets of cards, built a template and just typed in the learner info).

              give me a day to resurrect that stuff, and I can post it to the files group here, if there is room.

              Marian McQuaid

              Boston Minuteman Council

              From: gmgolub <knightmare1966@ verizon.net>

              To: scouter_t@yahoogrou ps.com

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 29, 2009
                An update to my previous posting...

                I just spoke with someone from 123signup and their website pricing is
                out of date. For the small size event, there is no one-time setup fee.
                It would be strictly the $1 plus the rate charged by the credit card
                processor (2-4% of the transaction). For a $10 course fee, I would need
                to charge approximately $12.

                Hmm... This might just be reasonable to allow my volunteers to register
                and pay on-line for district training. The only trick will be the
                payment. Since the district isn't a legal entity, I would need to go
                through my Council.

                (p.s. I am not affiliated with 123signup nor benefit in any way.)