Re: [Scouter_T] OWL & Baloo

  • Sean Scott
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 8, 2001
      You are correct when you stated only one person has to be Baloo trained, but
      that one person has to then attend every campout. And that's not always
      possible. So to keep from having to postpone events or cancel them at the
      last minute, it would help if each pack can get a few different people (CM,
      ACM, DLs, anybody going on the campouts) Baloo trained.
      -----
      Actually, I believe that it's only the person that *plans* the campout that
      must be BALOO trained--I don't think there is a specific requirement that
      they attend the actual campout itself. Still, it's a good idea to have more
      than one person trained. Of course, I may be wrong....

      Sean
      --
      Sean Scott
      Cub Roundtable Commissioner

      WM-45-2-00 - "I used to be a Buffalo..."
    • Lloyd Solis
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 8, 2001
        William Hicks wrote:

        > How do some of you plan on presenting the now two cub leader campout training
        > courses?
        >
        > Most people I have spoke with believe Baloo is to replace OWL, but I confirmed
        > with my council training office that is not the case. Baloo is in addition to
        > OWL. I have leaders begging for more and more OWL training. It is very
        > popular! But of course very few will want to take the Baloo training as it is
        > the "very basics" of camping. I have heard it called "camping 101".

        Outdoor Leadership Fundamentals is the course for BSA leaders. It's primarily
        designed for Troop leaders but comes highly recommended for Cub and Venturing
        leaders. BALOO is a 'day' program and a requirement for a pack to be permitted to
        camp. It is not part of an overnignt experience and should not be combined with any
        other training programs.

        > What do you think about having new leaders take Baloo before they can take owl?
        > That will get more people in the pack baloo trained, but that is also adding
        > an extra requirement.

        It makes sense to take BALOO before either of the 'camping overnight' training
        courses.

        > I am mixed as to how I plan on presenting it to my district. But I have to get
        > it figured out really fast to get all the arrangments made for effective
        > training in September.
        >
        > Please bare in mind that I do not have a copy of the Baloo training material
        > yet. Hopefully, I will have it next week. So if I am way off, please let me
        > know.
        >
        > Any thoughts out there?

        From what I've read on this and other lists, have a well developed and organized
        staff to present BALOO. I understand it is quite intensive, fast moving, requiring
        lots of coordination between the staff members. We won't be doing our first one
        for probably a couple of months. The program looks really good, especially the
        'massive' INDEX set that can be copied for participants - a real work of art.
        Lloyd

        > =====
        > William Hicks
        > 281-476-9404
        > Pack 268 CC
        > Bayshore District Cub Training Coordinator
        > Sam Houston Area Council
        > http://www.geocities.com/cubpack268

      • Jon T. Patten
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 8, 2001
          At least here in the Pine Tree Council (Maine) where there is
          mandatory leader training, BALOO is required before one can take
          their unit camping. The target audience for the Cub Scouts side
          is Cub Scout Den Leaders, Cubmaster and Assistant Cubmasters. For
          us this requirement starts September 1st of this year. The trained
          leader has to be at the camp outs.

          Jon Patten
          Cubmaster Pack 74
          Training Team Member - Casco Bay District

          Sean Scott wrote:

          > You are correct when you stated only one person has to be Baloo
          > trained, but
          > that one person has to then attend every campout. And that's not
          > always
          > possible. So to keep from having to postpone events or cancel them at
          > the
          > last minute, it would help if each pack can get a few different people
          > (CM,
          > ACM, DLs, anybody going on the campouts) Baloo trained.
          > -----
          > Actually, I believe that it's only the person that *plans* the campout
          > that
          > must be BALOO trained--I don't think there is a specific requirement
          > that
          > they attend the actual campout itself. Still, it's a good idea to have
          > more
          > than one person trained. Of course, I may be wrong....
          >
          > Sean
          > --
          > Sean Scott
          > Cub Roundtable Commissioner
          > Training Chairman
          > Day Camp Director, Tahquitz District

          some snipped.
        • Peter J Murray
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 9, 2001
            Hey All,

            From my understanding, OWLT (Outdoor WEBELOS Leader Training) was
            changed to OLT a few years back, to make sure the Wolf and Bear Leaders were
            included. It seems that they were waiting until they were a WEBELOS Den
            Leader to take the class, and by then it was really too late for some to
            really benefit for the boys.

            Several years ago, in an effort to "spice up" OLT, we nicknamed our
            OLT "Camp Baloo" and then really made an effort to energize it with fun and
            songs. Our classes went from 10 or so to thirty or more, with people coming
            from other districts to join us. The biggest modification of the syllabus
            was in the cooking portion, where we added four classes, which were
            presented at breakfast, lunch, dinner and Sunday breakfast. This way they
            got hands on basic instruction in how to cook out of doors. If you want the
            menus, just holler. I have them on an excel spreadsheet.

            Even with the addition of "Baloo", we still refer to our OLT as
            "Camp Baloo" and that works out well. The participants see the former as the
            book learning, and the latter as the practical experience. Best of all, it
            appears to be a more integrated approach, and they see one as the
            progression of the other. Without "WEBELOS" as part of the name, it is also
            seen as open to all... including Tiger moms and dads!

            "Fla-Bob" Pete Murray (The Florida Bobwhite)
            Dad
            Troop 7 Assistant Scoutmaster
            Wekiwa District Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner (www.wekiwa.org)
            Central Fl Council Asst Commissioner in charge of Boy Scout
            Roundtables
          • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 9, 2001
              > ----------
              > From: William Hicks
              >

              > Thanks for the input Kent.
              >
              > You are correct when you stated only one person has to be Baloo trained,
              > but
              > that one person has to then attend every campout*. And that's not always
              > possible. So to keep from having to postpone events or cancel them at the
              > last
              > minute, it would help if each pack can get a few different people (CM,
              > ACM,
              > DLs, anybody going on the campouts) Baloo trained.

              * Not true, the trained person is supposed to be involved in the
              organization/planning of the campout to ensure that it will be a
              success, he/she does not necessarily have to attend.

              Pete Mullaney
            • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 9, 2001
                The one thing missing from the paragraph below is siblings. My
                Pack's summertime camping is FAMILY Camping and siblings must be
                included in the planning stage. I've done the 'Planning' segment
                for two courses and I like to emphasize the importance of a well
                developed (and flexible) plan.

                my $0.03,
                Pete Mullaney

                > ----------
                > From: William Hicks
                >
                > Thanks for the fast reply Sean. It sounds like BALOO is a lot more than
                > what
                > was explained to me. I will hit the files tonight and see what I can get
                > done.
                >
                > Thanks agian!!
                >
                > YIS
                >

                > > BALOO is aimed at the leader planning a Pack campout, which may include
                > > Tigers, Wolves, Bears and Webelos Scouts. The emphasis of this training
                > is
                > > on preparing the leader to plan and conduct a quality, safe, enjoyable
                > > camping experience for all ages in the pack. It is intended for any
                > leader
                > > in the pack, preferably one that isn't filling another function already,
                > > though.

              • Lloyd Solis
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 9, 2001
                  Peter J Murray wrote:

                  > Hey All,
                  >
                  > From my understanding, OWLT (Outdoor WEBELOS Leader Training) was
                  > changed to OLT a few years back, to make sure the Wolf and Bear Leaders were
                  > included. It seems that they were waiting until they were a WEBELOS Den
                  > Leader to take the class, and by then it was really too late for some to
                  > really benefit for the boys.
                  >
                  > Several years ago, in an effort to "spice up" OLT, we nicknamed our
                  > OLT "Camp Baloo" and then really made an effort to energize it with fun and
                  > songs. Our classes went from 10 or so to thirty or more, with people coming
                  > from other districts to join us. The biggest modification of the syllabus
                  > was in the cooking portion, where we added four classes, which were
                  > presented at breakfast, lunch, dinner and Sunday breakfast. This way they
                  > got hands on basic instruction in how to cook out of doors. If you want the
                  > menus, just holler. I have them on an excel spreadsheet.
                  >
                  > Even with the addition of "Baloo", we still refer to our OLT as
                  > "Camp Baloo" and that works out well. The participants see the former as the
                  > book learning, and the latter as the practical experience. Best of all, it
                  > appears to be a more integrated approach, and they see one as the
                  > progression of the other. Without "WEBELOS" as part of the name, it is also
                  > seen as open to all... including Tiger moms and dads!
                  >
                  > "Fla-Bob" Pete Murray (The Florida Bobwhite)
                  > Dad
                  > Troop 7 Assistant Scoutmaster
                  > Wekiwa District Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner (www.wekiwa.org)
                  > Central Fl Council Asst Commissioner in charge of Boy Scout
                  > Roundtables

                  WOW! This seems like the perfect mix to have a new BALOO training scheduled and
                  then offer the supplemental CAMP BALOO to immediately follow - since BALOO is a
                  stand-alone designated program. I think that if you can run BALOO at camp rather
                  than 'at home' you might just get commitments to 'spend the rest of the weekend'
                  and take "Camp Baloo". The only missing item might be the 'second breakfast'; a
                  cracker barrel could easily replace that - adding that extra touch. The dinner
                  could come on the Saturday night instead of the Sunday evening. That would allow
                  'breaking camp' earlier on Sunday.
                  I've thought, since buying BALOO, last December that the program is really
                  incomplete. Sure, it does what it says it will. It gives the basics for
                  'preparing a camping trip'.
                  What it doesn't do is give a practical application of planning the entire first
                  campout. You don't spend the night out of doors and in a tent. Lots of things
                  happen after dark. For those camping for the first time, waking up with water in
                  your tent or dead branches between you and your tent mate (or across both of
                  you) can be as real an eye-opener as frantically searching for a lost boy in the
                  middle of the night. That first night 'under the stars' can be as traumatic for
                  a first time adult as it is for a first time youth. We need the adults
                  experienced overnight campers before adding the responsibilities of youth
                  safety. Camp Baloo, WOLT, Outdoor Leader Skills all would accomplish that.
                  Do you have a syllabus of your Camp Baloo available to the list?

                  YiS
                  Lloyd
                • Wendell Brown
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 9, 2001
                    A new 4 page color brochure describing the New Leader Training program
                    is now in the files area of Scouter_T. This brochure contains
                    information like:

                    What Makes a Trained Leader?
                    How Long Will Training Sessions Last?
                    Benefits of New Leader Essentials
                    Description of each new course (BALOO is not mentioned)

                    The file name is NewLeaderTraining.pdf and is in the main file area.

                    Wendell Brown - Quapaw Area Council Cub Camping Chairman