Re: [Scouter_T] OWL & Baloo

  • William Hicks
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 8, 2001
      Thanks for the fast reply Sean. It sounds like BALOO is a lot more than what
      was explained to me. I will hit the files tonight and see what I can get done.

      Thanks agian!!

      YIS

      --- Sean Scott <sscott@...> wrote:
      > BALOO and OWL are two completely different courses, aimed at different
      > leaders and teach separate material. I've seen a lot of confusion over the
      > two, including a belief that BALOO replaces OWL, which is not the case.
      > Let's look at the differences:
      >
      > Webelos Leader Outdoor Training is for the Webelos leader running a
      > patrol-style campout for a Webelos den. It concentrates on a smaller group
      > of older boys participating in an event that is more akin to a troop
      > campout. In fact, many times Webelos are camping with a local troop. The
      > direction of this event is preparing Webelos scouts for patrol and troop
      > camping. This training is taken by the Webelos leader.
      >
      > BALOO is aimed at the leader planning a Pack campout, which may include
      > Tigers, Wolves, Bears and Webelos Scouts. The emphasis of this training is
      > on preparing the leader to plan and conduct a quality, safe, enjoyable
      > camping experience for all ages in the pack. It is intended for any leader
      > in the pack, preferably one that isn't filling another function already,
      > though.
      >
      > Having run BALOO in March, I would hardly call it "Camping 101". While it
      > does have a segment on understanding and selecting equipment, this is a
      > small part of the overall event. Also included are cooking skills, campfire
      > planning, event planning, health and safety, games, outdoor activities, flag
      > ceremonies, Scouts' Own, and advancement. Billing your BALOO as basic
      > camping is going to give your leaders the impression that, if they already
      > know how to camp, they don't really need it (other than to fulfill the
      > training requirement)!
      >
      > My experience has been that most packs run poor campouts--they show up,
      > pitch tents, and let the boys run around. There is little structure or
      > planned activity prepared for the boys to participate in, and they soon
      > become bored and ultimately won't want to go camping anymore.
      >
      > BALOO prepares leaders to run a structured event that adheres to the methods
      > of Cub Scouting, and gives boys an enjoyable taste of the outdoors that
      > makes them want to come back.
      >
      > Check the files area of this list for some resources for your training. It
      > was a lot of fun to present when we did it, though we modified the schedule
      > extensively. BTW, Scouter magazine was incorrect in stating this was a
      > six-hour training--the syllabus calls for eight, and we finished up right at
      > eight hours with ours, running at a comfortable pace. Without omitting the
      > campfire and combining lunch with another session, I don't see how you could
      > reasonably do it in less time.
      >
      > YiS,
      > Sean
      > --
      > Sean Scott
      > Cub Roundtable Commissioner
      > Training Chairman
      > Day Camp Director, Tahquitz District
      >
      > WM-45-2-00 - "I used to be a Buffalo..."

      =====
      William Hicks
      281-476-9404
      Pack 268 CC
      Bayshore District Cub Training Coordinator
      Sam Houston Area Council
      http://www.geocities.com/cubpack268

      http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
    • Sean Scott
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 8, 2001
        You are correct when you stated only one person has to be Baloo trained, but
        that one person has to then attend every campout. And that's not always
        possible. So to keep from having to postpone events or cancel them at the
        last minute, it would help if each pack can get a few different people (CM,
        ACM, DLs, anybody going on the campouts) Baloo trained.
        -----
        Actually, I believe that it's only the person that *plans* the campout that
        must be BALOO trained--I don't think there is a specific requirement that
        they attend the actual campout itself. Still, it's a good idea to have more
        than one person trained. Of course, I may be wrong....

        Sean
        --
        Sean Scott
        Cub Roundtable Commissioner
        Training Chairman
        Day Camp Director, Tahquitz District

        WM-45-2-00 - "I used to be a Buffalo..."
      • Lloyd Solis
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 8, 2001
          William Hicks wrote:

          > How do some of you plan on presenting the now two cub leader campout training
          > courses?
          >
          > Most people I have spoke with believe Baloo is to replace OWL, but I confirmed
          > with my council training office that is not the case. Baloo is in addition to
          > OWL. I have leaders begging for more and more OWL training. It is very
          > popular! But of course very few will want to take the Baloo training as it is
          > the "very basics" of camping. I have heard it called "camping 101".

          Outdoor Leadership Fundamentals is the course for BSA leaders. It's primarily
          designed for Troop leaders but comes highly recommended for Cub and Venturing
          leaders. BALOO is a 'day' program and a requirement for a pack to be permitted to
          camp. It is not part of an overnignt experience and should not be combined with any
          other training programs.

          > What do you think about having new leaders take Baloo before they can take owl?
          > That will get more people in the pack baloo trained, but that is also adding
          > an extra requirement.

          It makes sense to take BALOO before either of the 'camping overnight' training
          courses.

          > I am mixed as to how I plan on presenting it to my district. But I have to get
          > it figured out really fast to get all the arrangments made for effective
          > training in September.
          >
          > Please bare in mind that I do not have a copy of the Baloo training material
          > yet. Hopefully, I will have it next week. So if I am way off, please let me
          > know.
          >
          > Any thoughts out there?

          From what I've read on this and other lists, have a well developed and organized
          staff to present BALOO. I understand it is quite intensive, fast moving, requiring
          lots of coordination between the staff members. We won't be doing our first one
          for probably a couple of months. The program looks really good, especially the
          'massive' INDEX set that can be copied for participants - a real work of art.
          Lloyd

          > =====
          > William Hicks
          > 281-476-9404
          > Pack 268 CC
          > Bayshore District Cub Training Coordinator
          > Sam Houston Area Council
          > http://www.geocities.com/cubpack268

        • Jon T. Patten
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 8, 2001
            At least here in the Pine Tree Council (Maine) where there is
            mandatory leader training, BALOO is required before one can take
            their unit camping. The target audience for the Cub Scouts side
            is Cub Scout Den Leaders, Cubmaster and Assistant Cubmasters. For
            us this requirement starts September 1st of this year. The trained
            leader has to be at the camp outs.

            Jon Patten
            Cubmaster Pack 74
            Training Team Member - Casco Bay District

            Sean Scott wrote:

            > You are correct when you stated only one person has to be Baloo
            > trained, but
            > that one person has to then attend every campout. And that's not
            > always
            > possible. So to keep from having to postpone events or cancel them at
            > the
            > last minute, it would help if each pack can get a few different people
            > (CM,
            > ACM, DLs, anybody going on the campouts) Baloo trained.
            > -----
            > Actually, I believe that it's only the person that *plans* the campout
            > that
            > must be BALOO trained--I don't think there is a specific requirement
            > that
            > they attend the actual campout itself. Still, it's a good idea to have
            > more
            > than one person trained. Of course, I may be wrong....
            >
            > Sean
            > --
            > Sean Scott
            > Cub Roundtable Commissioner
            > Training Chairman
            > Day Camp Director, Tahquitz District

            some snipped.
          • Peter J Murray
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 9, 2001
              Hey All,

              From my understanding, OWLT (Outdoor WEBELOS Leader Training) was
              changed to OLT a few years back, to make sure the Wolf and Bear Leaders were
              included. It seems that they were waiting until they were a WEBELOS Den
              Leader to take the class, and by then it was really too late for some to
              really benefit for the boys.

              Several years ago, in an effort to "spice up" OLT, we nicknamed our
              OLT "Camp Baloo" and then really made an effort to energize it with fun and
              songs. Our classes went from 10 or so to thirty or more, with people coming
              from other districts to join us. The biggest modification of the syllabus
              was in the cooking portion, where we added four classes, which were
              presented at breakfast, lunch, dinner and Sunday breakfast. This way they
              got hands on basic instruction in how to cook out of doors. If you want the
              menus, just holler. I have them on an excel spreadsheet.

              Even with the addition of "Baloo", we still refer to our OLT as
              "Camp Baloo" and that works out well. The participants see the former as the
              book learning, and the latter as the practical experience. Best of all, it
              appears to be a more integrated approach, and they see one as the
              progression of the other. Without "WEBELOS" as part of the name, it is also
              seen as open to all... including Tiger moms and dads!

              "Fla-Bob" Pete Murray (The Florida Bobwhite)
              Dad
              Troop 7 Assistant Scoutmaster
              Wekiwa District Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner (www.wekiwa.org)
              Central Fl Council Asst Commissioner in charge of Boy Scout
              Roundtables
            • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 9, 2001
                > ----------
                > From: William Hicks
                >

                > Thanks for the input Kent.
                >
                > You are correct when you stated only one person has to be Baloo trained,
                > but
                > that one person has to then attend every campout*. And that's not always
                > possible. So to keep from having to postpone events or cancel them at the
                > last
                > minute, it would help if each pack can get a few different people (CM,
                > ACM,
                > DLs, anybody going on the campouts) Baloo trained.

                * Not true, the trained person is supposed to be involved in the
                organization/planning of the campout to ensure that it will be a
                success, he/she does not necessarily have to attend.

                Pete Mullaney
              • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 9, 2001
                  The one thing missing from the paragraph below is siblings. My
                  Pack's summertime camping is FAMILY Camping and siblings must be
                  included in the planning stage. I've done the 'Planning' segment
                  for two courses and I like to emphasize the importance of a well
                  developed (and flexible) plan.

                  my $0.03,
                  Pete Mullaney

                  > ----------
                  > From: William Hicks
                  >
                  > Thanks for the fast reply Sean. It sounds like BALOO is a lot more than
                  > what
                  > was explained to me. I will hit the files tonight and see what I can get
                  > done.
                  >
                  > Thanks agian!!
                  >
                  > YIS
                  >

                  > > BALOO is aimed at the leader planning a Pack campout, which may include
                  > > Tigers, Wolves, Bears and Webelos Scouts. The emphasis of this training
                  > is
                  > > on preparing the leader to plan and conduct a quality, safe, enjoyable
                  > > camping experience for all ages in the pack. It is intended for any
                  > leader
                  > > in the pack, preferably one that isn't filling another function already,
                  > > though.

                • Lloyd Solis
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 9, 2001
                    Peter J Murray wrote:

                    > Hey All,
                    >
                    > From my understanding, OWLT (Outdoor WEBELOS Leader Training) was
                    > changed to OLT a few years back, to make sure the Wolf and Bear Leaders were
                    > included. It seems that they were waiting until they were a WEBELOS Den
                    > Leader to take the class, and by then it was really too late for some to
                    > really benefit for the boys.
                    >
                    > Several years ago, in an effort to "spice up" OLT, we nicknamed our
                    > OLT "Camp Baloo" and then really made an effort to energize it with fun and
                    > songs. Our classes went from 10 or so to thirty or more, with people coming
                    > from other districts to join us. The biggest modification of the syllabus
                    > was in the cooking portion, where we added four classes, which were
                    > presented at breakfast, lunch, dinner and Sunday breakfast. This way they
                    > got hands on basic instruction in how to cook out of doors. If you want the
                    > menus, just holler. I have them on an excel spreadsheet.
                    >
                    > Even with the addition of "Baloo", we still refer to our OLT as
                    > "Camp Baloo" and that works out well. The participants see the former as the
                    > book learning, and the latter as the practical experience. Best of all, it
                    > appears to be a more integrated approach, and they see one as the
                    > progression of the other. Without "WEBELOS" as part of the name, it is also
                    > seen as open to all... including Tiger moms and dads!
                    >
                    > "Fla-Bob" Pete Murray (The Florida Bobwhite)
                    > Dad
                    > Troop 7 Assistant Scoutmaster
                    > Wekiwa District Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner (www.wekiwa.org)
                    > Central Fl Council Asst Commissioner in charge of Boy Scout
                    > Roundtables

                    WOW! This seems like the perfect mix to have a new BALOO training scheduled and
                    then offer the supplemental CAMP BALOO to immediately follow - since BALOO is a
                    stand-alone designated program. I think that if you can run BALOO at camp rather
                    than 'at home' you might just get commitments to 'spend the rest of the weekend'
                    and take "Camp Baloo". The only missing item might be the 'second breakfast'; a
                    cracker barrel could easily replace that - adding that extra touch. The dinner
                    could come on the Saturday night instead of the Sunday evening. That would allow
                    'breaking camp' earlier on Sunday.
                    I've thought, since buying BALOO, last December that the program is really
                    incomplete. Sure, it does what it says it will. It gives the basics for
                    'preparing a camping trip'.
                    What it doesn't do is give a practical application of planning the entire first
                    campout. You don't spend the night out of doors and in a tent. Lots of things
                    happen after dark. For those camping for the first time, waking up with water in
                    your tent or dead branches between you and your tent mate (or across both of
                    you) can be as real an eye-opener as frantically searching for a lost boy in the
                    middle of the night. That first night 'under the stars' can be as traumatic for
                    a first time adult as it is for a first time youth. We need the adults
                    experienced overnight campers before adding the responsibilities of youth
                    safety. Camp Baloo, WOLT, Outdoor Leader Skills all would accomplish that.
                    Do you have a syllabus of your Camp Baloo available to the list?

                    YiS
                    Lloyd
                  • Wendell Brown
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 9, 2001
                      A new 4 page color brochure describing the New Leader Training program
                      is now in the files area of Scouter_T. This brochure contains
                      information like:

                      What Makes a Trained Leader?
                      How Long Will Training Sessions Last?
                      Benefits of New Leader Essentials
                      Description of each new course (BALOO is not mentioned)

                      The file name is NewLeaderTraining.pdf and is in the main file area.

                      Wendell Brown - Quapaw Area Council Cub Camping Chairman