RE: [Scouter_T] OWL & Baloo

  • William Hicks
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 8, 2001
      Thanks for the input Kent. OWL is alive and well in SHAC. I have about 25
      leaders from my district (22 packs total) that I know are willing and waiting
      for the first OWL training this fall. About half are Web leaders. The rest
      are Wolf/Bear DLs. I think tagging it with the "Webelos Leaders" title was a
      mistake as it helps leaders of all ranks who attend. I took it as a Bear
      leader the first time and I loved it.

      You are correct when you stated only one person has to be Baloo trained, but
      that one person has to then attend every campout. And that's not always
      possible. So to keep from having to postpone events or cancel them at the last
      minute, it would help if each pack can get a few different people (CM, ACM,
      DLs, anybody going on the campouts) Baloo trained.

      Thanks agian!

      --- Kent Wolfe <kentw@...> wrote:

      > The only one from a pack required to take BALOO is the pack committee member
      > who is to be responsible for pack camping events. Packs cannot have pack
      > camping events, i.e., involving Bear and younger, unless their is a trained
      > BALOO committee person. Webs leaders do not have to take BALOO, although it
      > wouldn't be bad if they did.
      >
      > OWL is still around this year, but you never know when National will change
      > it. Glad to hear you have a demand for this training. We've had about 10 in
      > the whole council attend this each year. Too bad for the boys' sake.
      >
      > Kent Wolfe
      > District and Council Training committees
      > Cornhusker Council

      =====
      William Hicks
      281-476-9404
      Pack 268 CC
      Bayshore District Cub Training Coordinator
      Sam Houston Area Council
      http://www.geocities.com/cubpack268

      http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
    • Sean Scott
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 8, 2001
        William asked: How do some of you plan on presenting the now two cub leader
        campout training courses?

        Most people I have spoke with believe Baloo is to replace OWL, but I
        confirmed with my council training office that is not the case. Baloo is in
        addition to OWL. I have leaders begging for more and more OWL training. It
        is very
        popular! But of course very few will want to take the Baloo training as it
        is the "very basics" of camping. I have heard it called "camping 101".

        What do you think about having new leaders take Baloo before they can take
        owl?

        William,

        BALOO and OWL are two completely different courses, aimed at different
        leaders and teach separate material. I've seen a lot of confusion over the
        two, including a belief that BALOO replaces OWL, which is not the case.
        Let's look at the differences:

        Webelos Leader Outdoor Training is for the Webelos leader running a
        patrol-style campout for a Webelos den. It concentrates on a smaller group
        of older boys participating in an event that is more akin to a troop
        campout. In fact, many times Webelos are camping with a local troop. The
        direction of this event is preparing Webelos scouts for patrol and troop
        camping. This training is taken by the Webelos leader.

        BALOO is aimed at the leader planning a Pack campout, which may include
        Tigers, Wolves, Bears and Webelos Scouts. The emphasis of this training is
        on preparing the leader to plan and conduct a quality, safe, enjoyable
        camping experience for all ages in the pack. It is intended for any leader
        in the pack, preferably one that isn't filling another function already,
        though.

        Having run BALOO in March, I would hardly call it "Camping 101". While it
        does have a segment on understanding and selecting equipment, this is a
        small part of the overall event. Also included are cooking skills, campfire
        planning, event planning, health and safety, games, outdoor activities, flag
        ceremonies, Scouts' Own, and advancement. Billing your BALOO as basic
        camping is going to give your leaders the impression that, if they already
        know how to camp, they don't really need it (other than to fulfill the
        training requirement)!

        My experience has been that most packs run poor campouts--they show up,
        pitch tents, and let the boys run around. There is little structure or
        planned activity prepared for the boys to participate in, and they soon
        become bored and ultimately won't want to go camping anymore.

        BALOO prepares leaders to run a structured event that adheres to the methods
        of Cub Scouting, and gives boys an enjoyable taste of the outdoors that
        makes them want to come back.

        Check the files area of this list for some resources for your training. It
        was a lot of fun to present when we did it, though we modified the schedule
        extensively. BTW, Scouter magazine was incorrect in stating this was a
        six-hour training--the syllabus calls for eight, and we finished up right at
        eight hours with ours, running at a comfortable pace. Without omitting the
        campfire and combining lunch with another session, I don't see how you could
        reasonably do it in less time.

        YiS,
        Sean
        --
        Sean Scott
        Cub Roundtable Commissioner

        WM-45-2-00 - "I used to be a Buffalo..."
      • William Hicks
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 8, 2001
          Thanks for the fast reply Sean. It sounds like BALOO is a lot more than what
          was explained to me. I will hit the files tonight and see what I can get done.

          Thanks agian!!

          YIS

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 8, 2001
            You are correct when you stated only one person has to be Baloo trained, but
            that one person has to then attend every campout. And that's not always
            possible. So to keep from having to postpone events or cancel them at the
            last minute, it would help if each pack can get a few different people (CM,
            ACM, DLs, anybody going on the campouts) Baloo trained.
            -----
            Actually, I believe that it's only the person that *plans* the campout that
            must be BALOO trained--I don't think there is a specific requirement that
            they attend the actual campout itself. Still, it's a good idea to have more
            than one person trained. Of course, I may be wrong....

            Sean
            --
            Sean Scott
            Cub Roundtable Commissioner
            Training Chairman
            Day Camp Director, Tahquitz District

            WM-45-2-00 - "I used to be a Buffalo..."
          • Lloyd Solis
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 8, 2001
              William Hicks wrote:

              > How do some of you plan on presenting the now two cub leader campout training
              > courses?
              >
              > Most people I have spoke with believe Baloo is to replace OWL, but I confirmed
              > with my council training office that is not the case. Baloo is in addition to
              > OWL. I have leaders begging for more and more OWL training. It is very
              > popular! But of course very few will want to take the Baloo training as it is
              > the "very basics" of camping. I have heard it called "camping 101".

              Outdoor Leadership Fundamentals is the course for BSA leaders. It's primarily
              designed for Troop leaders but comes highly recommended for Cub and Venturing
              leaders. BALOO is a 'day' program and a requirement for a pack to be permitted to
              camp. It is not part of an overnignt experience and should not be combined with any
              other training programs.

              > What do you think about having new leaders take Baloo before they can take owl?
              > That will get more people in the pack baloo trained, but that is also adding
              > an extra requirement.

              It makes sense to take BALOO before either of the 'camping overnight' training
              courses.

              > I am mixed as to how I plan on presenting it to my district. But I have to get
              > it figured out really fast to get all the arrangments made for effective
              > training in September.
              >
              > Please bare in mind that I do not have a copy of the Baloo training material
              > yet. Hopefully, I will have it next week. So if I am way off, please let me
              > know.
              >
              > Any thoughts out there?

              From what I've read on this and other lists, have a well developed and organized
              staff to present BALOO. I understand it is quite intensive, fast moving, requiring
              lots of coordination between the staff members. We won't be doing our first one
              for probably a couple of months. The program looks really good, especially the
              'massive' INDEX set that can be copied for participants - a real work of art.
              Lloyd

              > =====
              > William Hicks
              > 281-476-9404
              > Pack 268 CC
              > Bayshore District Cub Training Coordinator
              > Sam Houston Area Council
              > http://www.geocities.com/cubpack268

            • Jon T. Patten
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 8, 2001
                At least here in the Pine Tree Council (Maine) where there is
                mandatory leader training, BALOO is required before one can take
                their unit camping. The target audience for the Cub Scouts side
                is Cub Scout Den Leaders, Cubmaster and Assistant Cubmasters. For
                us this requirement starts September 1st of this year. The trained
                leader has to be at the camp outs.

                Jon Patten
                Cubmaster Pack 74
                Training Team Member - Casco Bay District

                Sean Scott wrote:

                > You are correct when you stated only one person has to be Baloo
                > trained, but
                > that one person has to then attend every campout. And that's not
                > always
                > possible. So to keep from having to postpone events or cancel them at
                > the
                > last minute, it would help if each pack can get a few different people
                > (CM,
                > ACM, DLs, anybody going on the campouts) Baloo trained.
                > -----
                > Actually, I believe that it's only the person that *plans* the campout
                > that
                > must be BALOO trained--I don't think there is a specific requirement
                > that
                > they attend the actual campout itself. Still, it's a good idea to have
                > more
                > than one person trained. Of course, I may be wrong....
                >
                > Sean
                > --
                > Sean Scott
                > Cub Roundtable Commissioner
                > Training Chairman
                > Day Camp Director, Tahquitz District

                some snipped.
              • Peter J Murray
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 9, 2001
                  Hey All,

                  From my understanding, OWLT (Outdoor WEBELOS Leader Training) was
                  changed to OLT a few years back, to make sure the Wolf and Bear Leaders were
                  included. It seems that they were waiting until they were a WEBELOS Den
                  Leader to take the class, and by then it was really too late for some to
                  really benefit for the boys.

                  Several years ago, in an effort to "spice up" OLT, we nicknamed our
                  OLT "Camp Baloo" and then really made an effort to energize it with fun and
                  songs. Our classes went from 10 or so to thirty or more, with people coming
                  from other districts to join us. The biggest modification of the syllabus
                  was in the cooking portion, where we added four classes, which were
                  presented at breakfast, lunch, dinner and Sunday breakfast. This way they
                  got hands on basic instruction in how to cook out of doors. If you want the
                  menus, just holler. I have them on an excel spreadsheet.

                  Even with the addition of "Baloo", we still refer to our OLT as
                  "Camp Baloo" and that works out well. The participants see the former as the
                  book learning, and the latter as the practical experience. Best of all, it
                  appears to be a more integrated approach, and they see one as the
                  progression of the other. Without "WEBELOS" as part of the name, it is also
                  seen as open to all... including Tiger moms and dads!

                  "Fla-Bob" Pete Murray (The Florida Bobwhite)
                  Dad
                  Troop 7 Assistant Scoutmaster
                  Wekiwa District Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner (www.wekiwa.org)
                  Central Fl Council Asst Commissioner in charge of Boy Scout
                  Roundtables
                • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 9, 2001
                    > ----------
                    > From: William Hicks
                    >

                    > Thanks for the input Kent.
                    >
                    > You are correct when you stated only one person has to be Baloo trained,
                    > but
                    > that one person has to then attend every campout*. And that's not always
                    > possible. So to keep from having to postpone events or cancel them at the
                    > last
                    > minute, it would help if each pack can get a few different people (CM,
                    > ACM,
                    > DLs, anybody going on the campouts) Baloo trained.

                    * Not true, the trained person is supposed to be involved in the
                    organization/planning of the campout to ensure that it will be a
                    success, he/she does not necessarily have to attend.

                    Pete Mullaney
                  • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 9, 2001
                      The one thing missing from the paragraph below is siblings. My
                      Pack's summertime camping is FAMILY Camping and siblings must be
                      included in the planning stage. I've done the 'Planning' segment
                      for two courses and I like to emphasize the importance of a well
                      developed (and flexible) plan.

                      my $0.03,
                      Pete Mullaney

                      > ----------
                      > From: William Hicks
                      >
                      > Thanks for the fast reply Sean. It sounds like BALOO is a lot more than
                      > what
                      > was explained to me. I will hit the files tonight and see what I can get
                      > done.
                      >
                      > Thanks agian!!
                      >
                      > YIS
                      >

                      > > BALOO is aimed at the leader planning a Pack campout, which may include
                      > > Tigers, Wolves, Bears and Webelos Scouts. The emphasis of this training
                      > is
                      > > on preparing the leader to plan and conduct a quality, safe, enjoyable
                      > > camping experience for all ages in the pack. It is intended for any
                      > leader
                      > > in the pack, preferably one that isn't filling another function already,
                      > > though.

                    • Lloyd Solis
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 9, 2001
                        Peter J Murray wrote:

                        > Hey All,
                        >
                        > From my understanding, OWLT (Outdoor WEBELOS Leader Training) was
                        > changed to OLT a few years back, to make sure the Wolf and Bear Leaders were
                        > included. It seems that they were waiting until they were a WEBELOS Den
                        > Leader to take the class, and by then it was really too late for some to
                        > really benefit for the boys.
                        >
                        > Several years ago, in an effort to "spice up" OLT, we nicknamed our
                        > OLT "Camp Baloo" and then really made an effort to energize it with fun and
                        > songs. Our classes went from 10 or so to thirty or more, with people coming
                        > from other districts to join us. The biggest modification of the syllabus
                        > was in the cooking portion, where we added four classes, which were
                        > presented at breakfast, lunch, dinner and Sunday breakfast. This way they
                        > got hands on basic instruction in how to cook out of doors. If you want the
                        > menus, just holler. I have them on an excel spreadsheet.
                        >
                        > Even with the addition of "Baloo", we still refer to our OLT as
                        > "Camp Baloo" and that works out well. The participants see the former as the
                        > book learning, and the latter as the practical experience. Best of all, it
                        > appears to be a more integrated approach, and they see one as the
                        > progression of the other. Without "WEBELOS" as part of the name, it is also
                        > seen as open to all... including Tiger moms and dads!
                        >
                        > "Fla-Bob" Pete Murray (The Florida Bobwhite)
                        > Dad
                        > Troop 7 Assistant Scoutmaster
                        > Wekiwa District Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner (www.wekiwa.org)
                        > Central Fl Council Asst Commissioner in charge of Boy Scout
                        > Roundtables

                        WOW! This seems like the perfect mix to have a new BALOO training scheduled and
                        then offer the supplemental CAMP BALOO to immediately follow - since BALOO is a
                        stand-alone designated program. I think that if you can run BALOO at camp rather
                        than 'at home' you might just get commitments to 'spend the rest of the weekend'
                        and take "Camp Baloo". The only missing item might be the 'second breakfast'; a
                        cracker barrel could easily replace that - adding that extra touch. The dinner
                        could come on the Saturday night instead of the Sunday evening. That would allow
                        'breaking camp' earlier on Sunday.
                        I've thought, since buying BALOO, last December that the program is really
                        incomplete. Sure, it does what it says it will. It gives the basics for
                        'preparing a camping trip'.
                        What it doesn't do is give a practical application of planning the entire first
                        campout. You don't spend the night out of doors and in a tent. Lots of things
                        happen after dark. For those camping for the first time, waking up with water in
                        your tent or dead branches between you and your tent mate (or across both of
                        you) can be as real an eye-opener as frantically searching for a lost boy in the
                        middle of the night. That first night 'under the stars' can be as traumatic for
                        a first time adult as it is for a first time youth. We need the adults
                        experienced overnight campers before adding the responsibilities of youth
                        safety. Camp Baloo, WOLT, Outdoor Leader Skills all would accomplish that.
                        Do you have a syllabus of your Camp Baloo available to the list?

                        YiS
                        Lloyd
                      • Wendell Brown
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 9, 2001
                          A new 4 page color brochure describing the New Leader Training program
                          is now in the files area of Scouter_T. This brochure contains
                          information like:

                          What Makes a Trained Leader?
                          How Long Will Training Sessions Last?
                          Benefits of New Leader Essentials
                          Description of each new course (BALOO is not mentioned)

                          The file name is NewLeaderTraining.pdf and is in the main file area.

                          Wendell Brown - Quapaw Area Council Cub Camping Chairman