OWL & Baloo

  • William Hicks
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 8, 2001
      How do some of you plan on presenting the now two cub leader campout training
      courses?

      Most people I have spoke with believe Baloo is to replace OWL, but I confirmed
      with my council training office that is not the case. Baloo is in addition to
      OWL. I have leaders begging for more and more OWL training. It is very
      popular! But of course very few will want to take the Baloo training as it is
      the "very basics" of camping. I have heard it called "camping 101".

      What do you think about having new leaders take Baloo before they can take owl?
      That will get more people in the pack baloo trained, but that is also adding
      an extra requirement.

      I am mixed as to how I plan on presenting it to my district. But I have to get
      it figured out really fast to get all the arrangments made for effective
      training in September.

      Please bare in mind that I do not have a copy of the Baloo training material
      yet. Hopefully, I will have it next week. So if I am way off, please let me
      know.

      Any thoughts out there?

      =====
      William Hicks
      281-476-9404
      Pack 268 CC
      Bayshore District Cub Training Coordinator
      Sam Houston Area Council
      http://www.geocities.com/cubpack268

      http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
    • Kent Wolfe
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 8, 2001
        The only one from a pack required to take BALOO is the pack committee member
        who is to be responsible for pack camping events. Packs cannot have pack
        camping events, i.e., involving Bear and younger, unless their is a trained
        BALOO committee person. Webs leaders do not have to take BALOO, although it
        wouldn't be bad if they did.

        OWL is still around this year, but you never know when National will change
        it. Glad to hear you have a demand for this training. We've had about 10 in
        the whole council attend this each year. Too bad for the boys' sake.

        Kent Wolfe
        District and Council Training committees
        Cornhusker Council

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 8, 2001
          Thanks for the input Kent. OWL is alive and well in SHAC. I have about 25
          leaders from my district (22 packs total) that I know are willing and waiting
          for the first OWL training this fall. About half are Web leaders. The rest
          are Wolf/Bear DLs. I think tagging it with the "Webelos Leaders" title was a
          mistake as it helps leaders of all ranks who attend. I took it as a Bear
          leader the first time and I loved it.

          You are correct when you stated only one person has to be Baloo trained, but
          that one person has to then attend every campout. And that's not always
          possible. So to keep from having to postpone events or cancel them at the last
          minute, it would help if each pack can get a few different people (CM, ACM,
          DLs, anybody going on the campouts) Baloo trained.

          Thanks agian!

          =====
          William Hicks
          281-476-9404
          Pack 268 CC
          Bayshore District Cub Training Coordinator
          Sam Houston Area Council
          http://www.geocities.com/cubpack268

          http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
        • Sean Scott
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 8, 2001
            William asked: How do some of you plan on presenting the now two cub leader
            campout training courses?

            Most people I have spoke with believe Baloo is to replace OWL, but I
            confirmed with my council training office that is not the case. Baloo is in
            addition to OWL. I have leaders begging for more and more OWL training. It
            is very
            popular! But of course very few will want to take the Baloo training as it
            is the "very basics" of camping. I have heard it called "camping 101".

            What do you think about having new leaders take Baloo before they can take
            owl?

            William,

            BALOO and OWL are two completely different courses, aimed at different
            leaders and teach separate material. I've seen a lot of confusion over the
            two, including a belief that BALOO replaces OWL, which is not the case.
            Let's look at the differences:

            Webelos Leader Outdoor Training is for the Webelos leader running a
            patrol-style campout for a Webelos den. It concentrates on a smaller group
            of older boys participating in an event that is more akin to a troop
            campout. In fact, many times Webelos are camping with a local troop. The
            direction of this event is preparing Webelos scouts for patrol and troop
            camping. This training is taken by the Webelos leader.

            BALOO is aimed at the leader planning a Pack campout, which may include
            Tigers, Wolves, Bears and Webelos Scouts. The emphasis of this training is
            on preparing the leader to plan and conduct a quality, safe, enjoyable
            camping experience for all ages in the pack. It is intended for any leader
            in the pack, preferably one that isn't filling another function already,
            though.

            Having run BALOO in March, I would hardly call it "Camping 101". While it
            does have a segment on understanding and selecting equipment, this is a
            small part of the overall event. Also included are cooking skills, campfire
            planning, event planning, health and safety, games, outdoor activities, flag
            ceremonies, Scouts' Own, and advancement. Billing your BALOO as basic
            camping is going to give your leaders the impression that, if they already
            know how to camp, they don't really need it (other than to fulfill the
            training requirement)!

            My experience has been that most packs run poor campouts--they show up,
            pitch tents, and let the boys run around. There is little structure or
            planned activity prepared for the boys to participate in, and they soon
            become bored and ultimately won't want to go camping anymore.

            BALOO prepares leaders to run a structured event that adheres to the methods
            of Cub Scouting, and gives boys an enjoyable taste of the outdoors that
            makes them want to come back.

            Check the files area of this list for some resources for your training. It
            was a lot of fun to present when we did it, though we modified the schedule
            extensively. BTW, Scouter magazine was incorrect in stating this was a
            six-hour training--the syllabus calls for eight, and we finished up right at
            eight hours with ours, running at a comfortable pace. Without omitting the
            campfire and combining lunch with another session, I don't see how you could
            reasonably do it in less time.

            YiS,
            Sean
            --
            Sean Scott
            Cub Roundtable Commissioner

            WM-45-2-00 - "I used to be a Buffalo..."
          • William Hicks
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 8, 2001
              Thanks for the fast reply Sean. It sounds like BALOO is a lot more than what
              was explained to me. I will hit the files tonight and see what I can get done.

              Thanks agian!!

              YIS

              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 8, 2001
                You are correct when you stated only one person has to be Baloo trained, but
                that one person has to then attend every campout. And that's not always
                possible. So to keep from having to postpone events or cancel them at the
                last minute, it would help if each pack can get a few different people (CM,
                ACM, DLs, anybody going on the campouts) Baloo trained.
                -----
                Actually, I believe that it's only the person that *plans* the campout that
                must be BALOO trained--I don't think there is a specific requirement that
                they attend the actual campout itself. Still, it's a good idea to have more
                than one person trained. Of course, I may be wrong....

                Sean
                --
                Sean Scott
                Cub Roundtable Commissioner
                Training Chairman
                Day Camp Director, Tahquitz District

                WM-45-2-00 - "I used to be a Buffalo..."
              • Lloyd Solis
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 8, 2001
                  William Hicks wrote:

                  > How do some of you plan on presenting the now two cub leader campout training
                  > courses?
                  >
                  > Most people I have spoke with believe Baloo is to replace OWL, but I confirmed
                  > with my council training office that is not the case. Baloo is in addition to
                  > OWL. I have leaders begging for more and more OWL training. It is very
                  > popular! But of course very few will want to take the Baloo training as it is
                  > the "very basics" of camping. I have heard it called "camping 101".

                  Outdoor Leadership Fundamentals is the course for BSA leaders. It's primarily
                  designed for Troop leaders but comes highly recommended for Cub and Venturing
                  leaders. BALOO is a 'day' program and a requirement for a pack to be permitted to
                  camp. It is not part of an overnignt experience and should not be combined with any
                  other training programs.

                  > What do you think about having new leaders take Baloo before they can take owl?
                  > That will get more people in the pack baloo trained, but that is also adding
                  > an extra requirement.

                  It makes sense to take BALOO before either of the 'camping overnight' training
                  courses.

                  > I am mixed as to how I plan on presenting it to my district. But I have to get
                  > it figured out really fast to get all the arrangments made for effective
                  > training in September.
                  >
                  > Please bare in mind that I do not have a copy of the Baloo training material
                  > yet. Hopefully, I will have it next week. So if I am way off, please let me
                  > know.
                  >
                  > Any thoughts out there?

                  From what I've read on this and other lists, have a well developed and organized
                  staff to present BALOO. I understand it is quite intensive, fast moving, requiring
                  lots of coordination between the staff members. We won't be doing our first one
                  for probably a couple of months. The program looks really good, especially the
                  'massive' INDEX set that can be copied for participants - a real work of art.
                  Lloyd

                  > =====
                  > William Hicks
                  > 281-476-9404
                  > Pack 268 CC
                  > Bayshore District Cub Training Coordinator
                  > Sam Houston Area Council
                  > http://www.geocities.com/cubpack268

                • Jon T. Patten
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 8, 2001
                    At least here in the Pine Tree Council (Maine) where there is
                    mandatory leader training, BALOO is required before one can take
                    their unit camping. The target audience for the Cub Scouts side
                    is Cub Scout Den Leaders, Cubmaster and Assistant Cubmasters. For
                    us this requirement starts September 1st of this year. The trained
                    leader has to be at the camp outs.

                    Jon Patten
                    Cubmaster Pack 74
                    Training Team Member - Casco Bay District

                    Sean Scott wrote:

                    > You are correct when you stated only one person has to be Baloo
                    > trained, but
                    > that one person has to then attend every campout. And that's not
                    > always
                    > possible. So to keep from having to postpone events or cancel them at
                    > the
                    > last minute, it would help if each pack can get a few different people
                    > (CM,
                    > ACM, DLs, anybody going on the campouts) Baloo trained.
                    > -----
                    > Actually, I believe that it's only the person that *plans* the campout
                    > that
                    > must be BALOO trained--I don't think there is a specific requirement
                    > that
                    > they attend the actual campout itself. Still, it's a good idea to have
                    > more
                    > than one person trained. Of course, I may be wrong....
                    >
                    > Sean
                    > --
                    > Sean Scott
                    > Cub Roundtable Commissioner
                    > Training Chairman
                    > Day Camp Director, Tahquitz District

                    some snipped.
                  • Peter J Murray
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 9, 2001
                      Hey All,

                      From my understanding, OWLT (Outdoor WEBELOS Leader Training) was
                      changed to OLT a few years back, to make sure the Wolf and Bear Leaders were
                      included. It seems that they were waiting until they were a WEBELOS Den
                      Leader to take the class, and by then it was really too late for some to
                      really benefit for the boys.

                      Several years ago, in an effort to "spice up" OLT, we nicknamed our
                      OLT "Camp Baloo" and then really made an effort to energize it with fun and
                      songs. Our classes went from 10 or so to thirty or more, with people coming
                      from other districts to join us. The biggest modification of the syllabus
                      was in the cooking portion, where we added four classes, which were
                      presented at breakfast, lunch, dinner and Sunday breakfast. This way they
                      got hands on basic instruction in how to cook out of doors. If you want the
                      menus, just holler. I have them on an excel spreadsheet.

                      Even with the addition of "Baloo", we still refer to our OLT as
                      "Camp Baloo" and that works out well. The participants see the former as the
                      book learning, and the latter as the practical experience. Best of all, it
                      appears to be a more integrated approach, and they see one as the
                      progression of the other. Without "WEBELOS" as part of the name, it is also
                      seen as open to all... including Tiger moms and dads!

                      "Fla-Bob" Pete Murray (The Florida Bobwhite)
                      Dad
                      Troop 7 Assistant Scoutmaster
                      Wekiwa District Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner (www.wekiwa.org)
                      Central Fl Council Asst Commissioner in charge of Boy Scout
                      Roundtables
                    • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 9, 2001
                        > ----------
                        > From: William Hicks
                        >

                        > Thanks for the input Kent.
                        >
                        > You are correct when you stated only one person has to be Baloo trained,
                        > but
                        > that one person has to then attend every campout*. And that's not always
                        > possible. So to keep from having to postpone events or cancel them at the
                        > last
                        > minute, it would help if each pack can get a few different people (CM,
                        > ACM,
                        > DLs, anybody going on the campouts) Baloo trained.

                        * Not true, the trained person is supposed to be involved in the
                        organization/planning of the campout to ensure that it will be a
                        success, he/she does not necessarily have to attend.

                        Pete Mullaney
                      • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 9, 2001
                          The one thing missing from the paragraph below is siblings. My
                          Pack's summertime camping is FAMILY Camping and siblings must be
                          included in the planning stage. I've done the 'Planning' segment
                          for two courses and I like to emphasize the importance of a well
                          developed (and flexible) plan.

                          my $0.03,
                          Pete Mullaney

                          > ----------
                          > From: William Hicks
                          >
                          > Thanks for the fast reply Sean. It sounds like BALOO is a lot more than
                          > what
                          > was explained to me. I will hit the files tonight and see what I can get
                          > done.
                          >
                          > Thanks agian!!
                          >
                          > YIS
                          >

                          > > BALOO is aimed at the leader planning a Pack campout, which may include
                          > > Tigers, Wolves, Bears and Webelos Scouts. The emphasis of this training
                          > is
                          > > on preparing the leader to plan and conduct a quality, safe, enjoyable
                          > > camping experience for all ages in the pack. It is intended for any
                          > leader
                          > > in the pack, preferably one that isn't filling another function already,
                          > > though.

                        • Lloyd Solis
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 9, 2001
                            Peter J Murray wrote:

                            > Hey All,
                            >
                            > From my understanding, OWLT (Outdoor WEBELOS Leader Training) was
                            > changed to OLT a few years back, to make sure the Wolf and Bear Leaders were
                            > included. It seems that they were waiting until they were a WEBELOS Den
                            > Leader to take the class, and by then it was really too late for some to
                            > really benefit for the boys.
                            >
                            > Several years ago, in an effort to "spice up" OLT, we nicknamed our
                            > OLT "Camp Baloo" and then really made an effort to energize it with fun and
                            > songs. Our classes went from 10 or so to thirty or more, with people coming
                            > from other districts to join us. The biggest modification of the syllabus
                            > was in the cooking portion, where we added four classes, which were
                            > presented at breakfast, lunch, dinner and Sunday breakfast. This way they
                            > got hands on basic instruction in how to cook out of doors. If you want the
                            > menus, just holler. I have them on an excel spreadsheet.
                            >
                            > Even with the addition of "Baloo", we still refer to our OLT as
                            > "Camp Baloo" and that works out well. The participants see the former as the
                            > book learning, and the latter as the practical experience. Best of all, it
                            > appears to be a more integrated approach, and they see one as the
                            > progression of the other. Without "WEBELOS" as part of the name, it is also
                            > seen as open to all... including Tiger moms and dads!
                            >
                            > "Fla-Bob" Pete Murray (The Florida Bobwhite)
                            > Dad
                            > Troop 7 Assistant Scoutmaster
                            > Wekiwa District Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner (www.wekiwa.org)
                            > Central Fl Council Asst Commissioner in charge of Boy Scout
                            > Roundtables

                            WOW! This seems like the perfect mix to have a new BALOO training scheduled and
                            then offer the supplemental CAMP BALOO to immediately follow - since BALOO is a
                            stand-alone designated program. I think that if you can run BALOO at camp rather
                            than 'at home' you might just get commitments to 'spend the rest of the weekend'
                            and take "Camp Baloo". The only missing item might be the 'second breakfast'; a
                            cracker barrel could easily replace that - adding that extra touch. The dinner
                            could come on the Saturday night instead of the Sunday evening. That would allow
                            'breaking camp' earlier on Sunday.
                            I've thought, since buying BALOO, last December that the program is really
                            incomplete. Sure, it does what it says it will. It gives the basics for
                            'preparing a camping trip'.
                            What it doesn't do is give a practical application of planning the entire first
                            campout. You don't spend the night out of doors and in a tent. Lots of things
                            happen after dark. For those camping for the first time, waking up with water in
                            your tent or dead branches between you and your tent mate (or across both of
                            you) can be as real an eye-opener as frantically searching for a lost boy in the
                            middle of the night. That first night 'under the stars' can be as traumatic for
                            a first time adult as it is for a first time youth. We need the adults
                            experienced overnight campers before adding the responsibilities of youth
                            safety. Camp Baloo, WOLT, Outdoor Leader Skills all would accomplish that.
                            Do you have a syllabus of your Camp Baloo available to the list?

                            YiS
                            Lloyd
                          • Wendell Brown
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 9, 2001
                              A new 4 page color brochure describing the New Leader Training program
                              is now in the files area of Scouter_T. This brochure contains
                              information like:

                              What Makes a Trained Leader?
                              How Long Will Training Sessions Last?
                              Benefits of New Leader Essentials
                              Description of each new course (BALOO is not mentioned)

                              The file name is NewLeaderTraining.pdf and is in the main file area.

                              Wendell Brown - Quapaw Area Council Cub Camping Chairman