New parent orientation

  • JNDunnMN@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 7, 2001
      One of the listed duties of the Pack trainer is to conduct an
      orientation for parents of new Cub Scouts.

      Among the Join Scouting Night materials I have received from our
      council (most of which appear to have originated from National)is an
      informational sheet about a video entitled "Cub Scout Orientation: An
      orientation for the parents of New Cub Scouts" (AV-01V012)$15.95.
      Also included are suggested agendas for Tiger Cub, Cub Scout and
      Webelos Scout den orientation meetings. These meetings are to be held
      after Join Scouting Night and before the first den meeting. They also
      seem to be an additional recruiting opportunity.

      Has anyone seen this video? Our District Executive thinks he has seen
      it in the council offices and is going to try to have copies made.

      Thanks in advance for any insights.

      Jamie Dunn
      P.512
      Pack Trainer
      Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
      Cub Scout Training Chair
      3 Rivers District
    • William Hicks
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 8, 2001
        How do some of you plan on presenting the now two cub leader campout training
        courses?

        Most people I have spoke with believe Baloo is to replace OWL, but I confirmed
        with my council training office that is not the case. Baloo is in addition to
        OWL. I have leaders begging for more and more OWL training. It is very
        popular! But of course very few will want to take the Baloo training as it is
        the "very basics" of camping. I have heard it called "camping 101".

        What do you think about having new leaders take Baloo before they can take owl?
        That will get more people in the pack baloo trained, but that is also adding
        an extra requirement.

        I am mixed as to how I plan on presenting it to my district. But I have to get
        it figured out really fast to get all the arrangments made for effective
        training in September.

        Please bare in mind that I do not have a copy of the Baloo training material
        yet. Hopefully, I will have it next week. So if I am way off, please let me
        know.

        Any thoughts out there?

        =====
        William Hicks
        281-476-9404
        Pack 268 CC
        Bayshore District Cub Training Coordinator
        Sam Houston Area Council
        http://www.geocities.com/cubpack268

        http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
      • Kent Wolfe
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 8, 2001
          The only one from a pack required to take BALOO is the pack committee member
          who is to be responsible for pack camping events. Packs cannot have pack
          camping events, i.e., involving Bear and younger, unless their is a trained
          BALOO committee person. Webs leaders do not have to take BALOO, although it
          wouldn't be bad if they did.

          OWL is still around this year, but you never know when National will change
          it. Glad to hear you have a demand for this training. We've had about 10 in
          the whole council attend this each year. Too bad for the boys' sake.

          Kent Wolfe
          District and Council Training committees
          Cornhusker Council

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 8, 2001
            Thanks for the input Kent. OWL is alive and well in SHAC. I have about 25
            leaders from my district (22 packs total) that I know are willing and waiting
            for the first OWL training this fall. About half are Web leaders. The rest
            are Wolf/Bear DLs. I think tagging it with the "Webelos Leaders" title was a
            mistake as it helps leaders of all ranks who attend. I took it as a Bear
            leader the first time and I loved it.

            You are correct when you stated only one person has to be Baloo trained, but
            that one person has to then attend every campout. And that's not always
            possible. So to keep from having to postpone events or cancel them at the last
            minute, it would help if each pack can get a few different people (CM, ACM,
            DLs, anybody going on the campouts) Baloo trained.

            Thanks agian!

            =====
            William Hicks
            281-476-9404
            Pack 268 CC
            Bayshore District Cub Training Coordinator
            Sam Houston Area Council
            http://www.geocities.com/cubpack268

            http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
          • Sean Scott
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 8, 2001
              William asked: How do some of you plan on presenting the now two cub leader
              campout training courses?

              Most people I have spoke with believe Baloo is to replace OWL, but I
              confirmed with my council training office that is not the case. Baloo is in
              addition to OWL. I have leaders begging for more and more OWL training. It
              is very
              popular! But of course very few will want to take the Baloo training as it
              is the "very basics" of camping. I have heard it called "camping 101".

              What do you think about having new leaders take Baloo before they can take
              owl?

              William,

              BALOO and OWL are two completely different courses, aimed at different
              leaders and teach separate material. I've seen a lot of confusion over the
              two, including a belief that BALOO replaces OWL, which is not the case.
              Let's look at the differences:

              Webelos Leader Outdoor Training is for the Webelos leader running a
              patrol-style campout for a Webelos den. It concentrates on a smaller group
              of older boys participating in an event that is more akin to a troop
              campout. In fact, many times Webelos are camping with a local troop. The
              direction of this event is preparing Webelos scouts for patrol and troop
              camping. This training is taken by the Webelos leader.

              BALOO is aimed at the leader planning a Pack campout, which may include
              Tigers, Wolves, Bears and Webelos Scouts. The emphasis of this training is
              on preparing the leader to plan and conduct a quality, safe, enjoyable
              camping experience for all ages in the pack. It is intended for any leader
              in the pack, preferably one that isn't filling another function already,
              though.

              Having run BALOO in March, I would hardly call it "Camping 101". While it
              does have a segment on understanding and selecting equipment, this is a
              small part of the overall event. Also included are cooking skills, campfire
              planning, event planning, health and safety, games, outdoor activities, flag
              ceremonies, Scouts' Own, and advancement. Billing your BALOO as basic
              camping is going to give your leaders the impression that, if they already
              know how to camp, they don't really need it (other than to fulfill the
              training requirement)!

              My experience has been that most packs run poor campouts--they show up,
              pitch tents, and let the boys run around. There is little structure or
              planned activity prepared for the boys to participate in, and they soon
              become bored and ultimately won't want to go camping anymore.

              BALOO prepares leaders to run a structured event that adheres to the methods
              of Cub Scouting, and gives boys an enjoyable taste of the outdoors that
              makes them want to come back.

              Check the files area of this list for some resources for your training. It
              was a lot of fun to present when we did it, though we modified the schedule
              extensively. BTW, Scouter magazine was incorrect in stating this was a
              six-hour training--the syllabus calls for eight, and we finished up right at
              eight hours with ours, running at a comfortable pace. Without omitting the
              campfire and combining lunch with another session, I don't see how you could
              reasonably do it in less time.

              YiS,
              Sean
              --
              Sean Scott
              Cub Roundtable Commissioner

              WM-45-2-00 - "I used to be a Buffalo..."
            • William Hicks
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 8, 2001
                Thanks for the fast reply Sean. It sounds like BALOO is a lot more than what
                was explained to me. I will hit the files tonight and see what I can get done.

                Thanks agian!!

                YIS

                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 8, 2001
                  You are correct when you stated only one person has to be Baloo trained, but
                  that one person has to then attend every campout. And that's not always
                  possible. So to keep from having to postpone events or cancel them at the
                  last minute, it would help if each pack can get a few different people (CM,
                  ACM, DLs, anybody going on the campouts) Baloo trained.
                  -----
                  Actually, I believe that it's only the person that *plans* the campout that
                  must be BALOO trained--I don't think there is a specific requirement that
                  they attend the actual campout itself. Still, it's a good idea to have more
                  than one person trained. Of course, I may be wrong....

                  Sean
                  --
                  Sean Scott
                  Cub Roundtable Commissioner
                  Training Chairman
                  Day Camp Director, Tahquitz District

                  WM-45-2-00 - "I used to be a Buffalo..."
                • Lloyd Solis
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 8, 2001
                    William Hicks wrote:

                    > How do some of you plan on presenting the now two cub leader campout training
                    > courses?
                    >
                    > Most people I have spoke with believe Baloo is to replace OWL, but I confirmed
                    > with my council training office that is not the case. Baloo is in addition to
                    > OWL. I have leaders begging for more and more OWL training. It is very
                    > popular! But of course very few will want to take the Baloo training as it is
                    > the "very basics" of camping. I have heard it called "camping 101".

                    Outdoor Leadership Fundamentals is the course for BSA leaders. It's primarily
                    designed for Troop leaders but comes highly recommended for Cub and Venturing
                    leaders. BALOO is a 'day' program and a requirement for a pack to be permitted to
                    camp. It is not part of an overnignt experience and should not be combined with any
                    other training programs.

                    > What do you think about having new leaders take Baloo before they can take owl?
                    > That will get more people in the pack baloo trained, but that is also adding
                    > an extra requirement.

                    It makes sense to take BALOO before either of the 'camping overnight' training
                    courses.

                    > I am mixed as to how I plan on presenting it to my district. But I have to get
                    > it figured out really fast to get all the arrangments made for effective
                    > training in September.
                    >
                    > Please bare in mind that I do not have a copy of the Baloo training material
                    > yet. Hopefully, I will have it next week. So if I am way off, please let me
                    > know.
                    >
                    > Any thoughts out there?

                    From what I've read on this and other lists, have a well developed and organized
                    staff to present BALOO. I understand it is quite intensive, fast moving, requiring
                    lots of coordination between the staff members. We won't be doing our first one
                    for probably a couple of months. The program looks really good, especially the
                    'massive' INDEX set that can be copied for participants - a real work of art.
                    Lloyd

                    > =====
                    > William Hicks
                    > 281-476-9404
                    > Pack 268 CC
                    > Bayshore District Cub Training Coordinator
                    > Sam Houston Area Council
                    > http://www.geocities.com/cubpack268

                  • Jon T. Patten
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 8, 2001
                      At least here in the Pine Tree Council (Maine) where there is
                      mandatory leader training, BALOO is required before one can take
                      their unit camping. The target audience for the Cub Scouts side
                      is Cub Scout Den Leaders, Cubmaster and Assistant Cubmasters. For
                      us this requirement starts September 1st of this year. The trained
                      leader has to be at the camp outs.

                      Jon Patten
                      Cubmaster Pack 74
                      Training Team Member - Casco Bay District

                      Sean Scott wrote:

                      > You are correct when you stated only one person has to be Baloo
                      > trained, but
                      > that one person has to then attend every campout. And that's not
                      > always
                      > possible. So to keep from having to postpone events or cancel them at
                      > the
                      > last minute, it would help if each pack can get a few different people
                      > (CM,
                      > ACM, DLs, anybody going on the campouts) Baloo trained.
                      > -----
                      > Actually, I believe that it's only the person that *plans* the campout
                      > that
                      > must be BALOO trained--I don't think there is a specific requirement
                      > that
                      > they attend the actual campout itself. Still, it's a good idea to have
                      > more
                      > than one person trained. Of course, I may be wrong....
                      >
                      > Sean
                      > --
                      > Sean Scott
                      > Cub Roundtable Commissioner
                      > Training Chairman
                      > Day Camp Director, Tahquitz District

                      some snipped.
                    • Peter J Murray
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 9, 2001
                        Hey All,

                        From my understanding, OWLT (Outdoor WEBELOS Leader Training) was
                        changed to OLT a few years back, to make sure the Wolf and Bear Leaders were
                        included. It seems that they were waiting until they were a WEBELOS Den
                        Leader to take the class, and by then it was really too late for some to
                        really benefit for the boys.

                        Several years ago, in an effort to "spice up" OLT, we nicknamed our
                        OLT "Camp Baloo" and then really made an effort to energize it with fun and
                        songs. Our classes went from 10 or so to thirty or more, with people coming
                        from other districts to join us. The biggest modification of the syllabus
                        was in the cooking portion, where we added four classes, which were
                        presented at breakfast, lunch, dinner and Sunday breakfast. This way they
                        got hands on basic instruction in how to cook out of doors. If you want the
                        menus, just holler. I have them on an excel spreadsheet.

                        Even with the addition of "Baloo", we still refer to our OLT as
                        "Camp Baloo" and that works out well. The participants see the former as the
                        book learning, and the latter as the practical experience. Best of all, it
                        appears to be a more integrated approach, and they see one as the
                        progression of the other. Without "WEBELOS" as part of the name, it is also
                        seen as open to all... including Tiger moms and dads!

                        "Fla-Bob" Pete Murray (The Florida Bobwhite)
                        Dad
                        Troop 7 Assistant Scoutmaster
                        Wekiwa District Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner (www.wekiwa.org)
                        Central Fl Council Asst Commissioner in charge of Boy Scout
                        Roundtables
                      • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 9, 2001
                          > ----------
                          > From: William Hicks
                          >

                          > Thanks for the input Kent.
                          >
                          > You are correct when you stated only one person has to be Baloo trained,
                          > but
                          > that one person has to then attend every campout*. And that's not always
                          > possible. So to keep from having to postpone events or cancel them at the
                          > last
                          > minute, it would help if each pack can get a few different people (CM,
                          > ACM,
                          > DLs, anybody going on the campouts) Baloo trained.

                          * Not true, the trained person is supposed to be involved in the
                          organization/planning of the campout to ensure that it will be a
                          success, he/she does not necessarily have to attend.

                          Pete Mullaney
                        • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 9, 2001
                            The one thing missing from the paragraph below is siblings. My
                            Pack's summertime camping is FAMILY Camping and siblings must be
                            included in the planning stage. I've done the 'Planning' segment
                            for two courses and I like to emphasize the importance of a well
                            developed (and flexible) plan.

                            my $0.03,
                            Pete Mullaney

                            > ----------
                            > From: William Hicks
                            >
                            > Thanks for the fast reply Sean. It sounds like BALOO is a lot more than
                            > what
                            > was explained to me. I will hit the files tonight and see what I can get
                            > done.
                            >
                            > Thanks agian!!
                            >
                            > YIS
                            >

                            > > BALOO is aimed at the leader planning a Pack campout, which may include
                            > > Tigers, Wolves, Bears and Webelos Scouts. The emphasis of this training
                            > is
                            > > on preparing the leader to plan and conduct a quality, safe, enjoyable
                            > > camping experience for all ages in the pack. It is intended for any
                            > leader
                            > > in the pack, preferably one that isn't filling another function already,
                            > > though.

                          • Lloyd Solis
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 9, 2001
                              Peter J Murray wrote:

                              > Hey All,
                              >
                              > From my understanding, OWLT (Outdoor WEBELOS Leader Training) was
                              > changed to OLT a few years back, to make sure the Wolf and Bear Leaders were
                              > included. It seems that they were waiting until they were a WEBELOS Den
                              > Leader to take the class, and by then it was really too late for some to
                              > really benefit for the boys.
                              >
                              > Several years ago, in an effort to "spice up" OLT, we nicknamed our
                              > OLT "Camp Baloo" and then really made an effort to energize it with fun and
                              > songs. Our classes went from 10 or so to thirty or more, with people coming
                              > from other districts to join us. The biggest modification of the syllabus
                              > was in the cooking portion, where we added four classes, which were
                              > presented at breakfast, lunch, dinner and Sunday breakfast. This way they
                              > got hands on basic instruction in how to cook out of doors. If you want the
                              > menus, just holler. I have them on an excel spreadsheet.
                              >
                              > Even with the addition of "Baloo", we still refer to our OLT as
                              > "Camp Baloo" and that works out well. The participants see the former as the
                              > book learning, and the latter as the practical experience. Best of all, it
                              > appears to be a more integrated approach, and they see one as the
                              > progression of the other. Without "WEBELOS" as part of the name, it is also
                              > seen as open to all... including Tiger moms and dads!
                              >
                              > "Fla-Bob" Pete Murray (The Florida Bobwhite)
                              > Dad
                              > Troop 7 Assistant Scoutmaster
                              > Wekiwa District Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner (www.wekiwa.org)
                              > Central Fl Council Asst Commissioner in charge of Boy Scout
                              > Roundtables

                              WOW! This seems like the perfect mix to have a new BALOO training scheduled and
                              then offer the supplemental CAMP BALOO to immediately follow - since BALOO is a
                              stand-alone designated program. I think that if you can run BALOO at camp rather
                              than 'at home' you might just get commitments to 'spend the rest of the weekend'
                              and take "Camp Baloo". The only missing item might be the 'second breakfast'; a
                              cracker barrel could easily replace that - adding that extra touch. The dinner
                              could come on the Saturday night instead of the Sunday evening. That would allow
                              'breaking camp' earlier on Sunday.
                              I've thought, since buying BALOO, last December that the program is really
                              incomplete. Sure, it does what it says it will. It gives the basics for
                              'preparing a camping trip'.
                              What it doesn't do is give a practical application of planning the entire first
                              campout. You don't spend the night out of doors and in a tent. Lots of things
                              happen after dark. For those camping for the first time, waking up with water in
                              your tent or dead branches between you and your tent mate (or across both of
                              you) can be as real an eye-opener as frantically searching for a lost boy in the
                              middle of the night. That first night 'under the stars' can be as traumatic for
                              a first time adult as it is for a first time youth. We need the adults
                              experienced overnight campers before adding the responsibilities of youth
                              safety. Camp Baloo, WOLT, Outdoor Leader Skills all would accomplish that.
                              Do you have a syllabus of your Camp Baloo available to the list?

                              YiS
                              Lloyd
                            • Wendell Brown
                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 9, 2001
                                A new 4 page color brochure describing the New Leader Training program
                                is now in the files area of Scouter_T. This brochure contains
                                information like:

                                What Makes a Trained Leader?
                                How Long Will Training Sessions Last?
                                Benefits of New Leader Essentials
                                Description of each new course (BALOO is not mentioned)

                                The file name is NewLeaderTraining.pdf and is in the main file area.

                                Wendell Brown - Quapaw Area Council Cub Camping Chairman