Re: Digest Number 153 - PowerPoint Challenge

  • Bob Riley
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 7, 2001
      Hello Lorie,

      Your problem may not be with PowerPoint but, with your original
      images...they're too large and/or in the wrong format. I see this
      kind of problem, independent of PowerPoint, all the time. Most people
      don't understand what their scanners/digital cameras do with the
      images.

      Example: Take a 1600x1200 image from a digital camera, save it as a
      bitmapped image = 5.4MB, save it as a TIFF and it only shrinks to
      3.9MB. Save it as a JPEG, with 3:1 compression (common setting on
      some cameras for highest quality), and it only drops to about 700K,
      which is still too large for a web page. Change the compression to
      20:1 and the image still looks good on a monitor and the size is down
      to 385K!

      BUT, the average user (potential web page visitor) runs at 800x600
      resolution. So if we resize the image to 800x600 (prefereably
      smaller!) the bitmap size is now only 1.3MB, and the 20:1 JPEG is now
      down to 95K. At 100K (I like round #s!) you now have room for about
      50 images on that 5MB site. Big diff, ehh? :)

      The same scenario happens with scanners when the output is a TIFF
      and/or the dpi setting on the scanner is too high...PC monitors only
      display 96dpi, so that's the setting to use when creating photos for
      the web.

      You can remove the pictures, reduce their dpi with an image editor
      software like Adobe Photoshop, resave the pictures at the lower dpi
      and then reinsert the small files into the PPT.

      Hope that helps!

      Lorie (and everybody else), a Scouter pal of mine does all of the
      t-shirts and leader golf-style shirts for all of my Council's
      (Twin Rivers in upstate New York) camps and for the Jamboree
      attendees. He runs an embroidery biz out of his basement. He was our
      Cub Scout Day Camp Camp Director for four or five years.

      He put an awesome six color T-rex on our shirts for our
      Cub Scout Dino Day Camps. He isn't looking to get rich and he gives
      Scouts the best deals you will find anywhere in the country. No
      kidding! In fact, I'd wager that he will beat most silk-screen shirt
      prices ... and his shirts are "embroidered"!

      If you, or any unit you are aware of, are looking into shirts,
      sweatshirts, scarves, hats, etc. please drop him a line at
      cpr277@.... His name is Bill Capozzi. Tell him I sent you
      and he'll treat you like royalty! I think you will be pleasantly
      surprised.

      If you would like to see what his work looks like I can send you some
      pics of our shirts. His web site is having "technical difficulties"
      at the moment. :(

      Have a great Scouting day,

      Bob Riley
      Fort Orange District Cub Scout Dino Day Camp Program Director 2001
      (whew!)
      Cubmaster, Tiger Cub Coach... soon to be Tiger Cub Den Leader,
      RT staff, District Training staff, blah, blah, blah!
      ...and...
      PCsByBob.com... Providing technology with the personal touch!
      Click on the red star to take up to six FREE on-line computer
      training courses!

      Please make sure you stop by http://www.PCsByBob.com for all of your
      technology "challenges"! Please feel free to sign our Guest Book.

      --- In scouter_t@y..., Lorie McGraw <lmcgraw@s...> wrote:
      > Can someone on this group tell me how to get a powerpoint up on the
      web
      > (with photos) that can be read on the web like the ones in the
      Baloo