Re: [Scouter_T] Digest Number 153

  • Lorie McGraw
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 6, 2001
      Can someone on this group tell me how to get a powerpoint up on the web
      (with photos) that can be read on the web like the ones in the Baloo
      training section? I am having space/filesize problems.
      Thanks
      Lorie McGraw
      Columbia SC
      (And thanks to all for the wonderful ideas and hints that I have seen in
      this group. You are the best!)

    • Bob Riley
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 7, 2001
        Hello Lorie,

        Your problem may not be with PowerPoint but, with your original
        images...they're too large and/or in the wrong format. I see this
        kind of problem, independent of PowerPoint, all the time. Most people
        don't understand what their scanners/digital cameras do with the
        images.

        Example: Take a 1600x1200 image from a digital camera, save it as a
        bitmapped image = 5.4MB, save it as a TIFF and it only shrinks to
        3.9MB. Save it as a JPEG, with 3:1 compression (common setting on
        some cameras for highest quality), and it only drops to about 700K,
        which is still too large for a web page. Change the compression to
        20:1 and the image still looks good on a monitor and the size is down
        to 385K!

        BUT, the average user (potential web page visitor) runs at 800x600
        resolution. So if we resize the image to 800x600 (prefereably
        smaller!) the bitmap size is now only 1.3MB, and the 20:1 JPEG is now
        down to 95K. At 100K (I like round #s!) you now have room for about
        50 images on that 5MB site. Big diff, ehh? :)

        The same scenario happens with scanners when the output is a TIFF
        and/or the dpi setting on the scanner is too high...PC monitors only
        display 96dpi, so that's the setting to use when creating photos for
        the web.

        You can remove the pictures, reduce their dpi with an image editor
        software like Adobe Photoshop, resave the pictures at the lower dpi
        and then reinsert the small files into the PPT.

        Hope that helps!

        Lorie (and everybody else), a Scouter pal of mine does all of the
        t-shirts and leader golf-style shirts for all of my Council's
        (Twin Rivers in upstate New York) camps and for the Jamboree
        attendees. He runs an embroidery biz out of his basement. He was our
        Cub Scout Day Camp Camp Director for four or five years.

        He put an awesome six color T-rex on our shirts for our
        Cub Scout Dino Day Camps. He isn't looking to get rich and he gives
        Scouts the best deals you will find anywhere in the country. No
        kidding! In fact, I'd wager that he will beat most silk-screen shirt
        prices ... and his shirts are "embroidered"!

        If you, or any unit you are aware of, are looking into shirts,
        sweatshirts, scarves, hats, etc. please drop him a line at
        cpr277@.... His name is Bill Capozzi. Tell him I sent you
        and he'll treat you like royalty! I think you will be pleasantly
        surprised.

        If you would like to see what his work looks like I can send you some
        pics of our shirts. His web site is having "technical difficulties"
        at the moment. :(

        Have a great Scouting day,

        Bob Riley
        Fort Orange District Cub Scout Dino Day Camp Program Director 2001
        (whew!)
        Cubmaster, Tiger Cub Coach... soon to be Tiger Cub Den Leader,
        RT staff, District Training staff, blah, blah, blah!
        ...and...
        PCsByBob.com... Providing technology with the personal touch!
        Click on the red star to take up to six FREE on-line computer
        training courses!

        Please make sure you stop by http://www.PCsByBob.com for all of your
        technology "challenges"! Please feel free to sign our Guest Book.