So Apparently, we're not the only ones frustrated . . .

  • Jamie Niss Dunn
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 8, 2009
      . . . with training records. The following (long) quote is from a BSA employee posted to the Innovation Engine:

      "We should be able to run training reports for all volunteers for a specific unit or district. It should list the leaders, their position, what training they have taken with the dates and then what training they need to become a trained leader. We have volunteers come in to our office on a weekly basis looking for this information and we are unable to give them useful reports. We either have to spend time printing person profiles for the whole unit (because this is the only way to get training with dates) or we try and run a Training Complete and a Training Not Complete reports. Trying to get those reports are very difficult to obtain. They either take hours to run or time out and you need to go back and request the same reports again and again, until they finally work. Who has the time for that, I know we don’t at our council. If you are lucky to get the reports they are not useful. They only list codes with no dates. The volunteer has no need to know all the codes our system uses and if no dates are listed what good are they to the volunteers anyway.
      And, why doesn’t training have expiration dates? For example; we have a Scout Master that registered 10 years ago took all the training and was conceder trained back then. He has not been a leader for the last 8 years and then once again is called to be a Scout Master, he still shows20as trained. Why? I know training has changed in the last 10 years. Another reason we should have expiration dates; we have people that show trained on the roster so you go and look at what training they have taken, now where does it show under the training tab any of the training required to be trained for that position but it stills shows them trained and no way to remove it.
      Youth Protection should be required to be conceder trained? The tour permit requires leaders to have taken Youth Protection in the last two years; if it is required ever two years then it should expire automatically two years from the date taken and then send them a reminder to take it again if they still are a registered leader. It would be nice too if once you entered a new leader in the system that it generated a letter or e-mail (if entered) thanking and telling them the importance of being a trained leader and how to obtain such training’s. The system sends a thank you letter to all new Scout Parents, why can’t we do the same for registered leaders?
      We put so much information in to ScoutNET but we have such a hard time getting it out, I have never seen a data base program with so little options for custom reports. It is so frustrating for us to have to tell the professionals no sorry we can’t do that or pull so many different reports and spend the time combining them in to what they want. I honestly don’t think our council uses one report straight out of the sy
      stem. It is even more frustrating when you go to the training provided by the region and they tell you that we are not important enough to listen too. They only want to listen to the Scout Executive. When you go to these trainings it is a great opportunity for them to take back to National on how to improve the system from the people that work in it every day. Not be told to play Solitaire when the system is slow. (And yes that is exactly what they told us)."

      ______________

      I gleaned a piece of information from the above. A "Person Profile" will generate info on a specific leader and show all of the trainings that person has recorded WITH dates of training. It is apparently a laborious report to generate, but does exist.  Difficult but not impossible to obtain the info apparently.

      Pack Trainer, Pack 512
      Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
      Troop Committee, Troop 509
      Ham Lake, MN
      Cub Scout Training Coordinator
      Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
      Three Rivers District

    • Ronald Parks
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 8, 2009
        Yup. Can't wait for the "train wreck" next year when top leaders are
        required to be trained and National finds out that it has no way to know
        who really is trained and who isn't. I learned from my work with the
        government that one way to facilitate change is to allow disaster to
        happen. It's a shame, but maybe that's what it takes to "force"
        National to fix or replace ScoutNET with a user-friendly online database
        employing varying degrees of accessibility depending on a person's position.

        YiS,

        Ron Parks
        District Training Chair
        Victory District