Re: [Scouter_T] Re: Availability of Training Materials for Purchase

  • Mark Ellis
    Message 1 of 50 , Oct 8, 2009
      Rick: Interesting comment. I agree with you that self-study is listed in the Leadership Training Committee Guide as the least desirable training option. However, it also talks about about a personal visit from a instructor (from district or council) as well as "self study questions after each segment of training" that are contained in a self study guide. Not sure I have ever seen a self study guide for adult leader training.

      Individual or units can't "roll their own" and then claim credit. District or Council trainers must be involved in face-to-face basic adult leader training -- period.

      In our district, we have a statement posted to the district website that says which courses are taught at the district level. None are delegated to the unit level, though completion of web-based courses are highly encouraged.

      Seems like this unit wants to get everyone trained up. I'd try to turn this into a positive, though I would be interested in knowing why they want to do this on their own versus attending the regularly scheduled district or council events. Perhaps working with the unit and the district / council training teams to get the training accomplished (particularly if they make all the physicial and logistical arrangements) will lead to more leaders trained and perhaps additions to your training staff. We do training targeted at indvidual units from time to time, but we require publicizing the event at least 60 days in advance both district- and council-wide.

      Mark Ellis
      Training Chair
      Aquia District, NCAC
      (703) 376-4150

      -------------------

      Oct 8, 2009 01:40:59 PM, scouter_t@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      Hello Ed,

      I'm glad to see that others purchase the training syllabi before they attend training. I've done this same thing for many years.

      May I share some information on the methods of training described in the Leadership Training Committee Guide: Plans, Procedures, Materials, No 34169 published by the BSA? You may find it of interest that Self Study is one of the three methods or situations for training identified by the BSA. Often as trainers we only focus on the group training method or environment. Must of us prefer the group experience for many good reasons. However, there are also Personal Coaching and Self-Study available as methods to accomplish our goal of training our leaders. Each method of training has a place when administered properly and recorded properly

      As for the syllabi for BSA training events being available for purchase to the general public this is a long standing practice. The only significantly upheld restriction on acquiring a training syllabus is the Wood Badge syllabus. Dang, I would prefer it was not withheld, but I understand and accept their decision.

      Whether the training of a volunteer is conducted using a group method, Personal Coaching, or Self Study it only gets recorded as a completed training when the training attendance report is properly submitted to the local council for inclusion in the ScoutNet record for those completing the training. So units can hold their own training, but it ain't official until it gets recorded and reported properly to the local council. This is where the district and council training staff can exhibit their appropriate quality control on the training process.

      Yours Truly in Service,
      Rick Pushies

    • ed5870@aol.com
      Message 50 of 50 , Oct 19, 2009
        No where did National authorize this. What they did authorize is a combined
        sessions on part of the course to save on staff.

        Ed Harvey
        Dutchess District Training Chair
        Every Scout Deserves a Trained Leader

        In a message dated 10/13/2009 3:42:31 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        deutche01@... writes:

        We have run a combined course for about 3 to 5 years, since National
        advocated it. We have good response from the leaders (it is a bit longer
        course
        for the Webeloe leaders) and at the end, we give cards to Webeloe leaders
        for both the Webeloe and the Boy Scout Outdoor Leader Skills