Cubmaster Specific Training

  • a_riggans
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 7, 2009
      I have been asked to present the break-out session for Cubmaster at the leader specific training for our district. This will be my first time doing so. I have the power point and the syllabus, but was wondering if anyone who has taught this before had any suggestions.

      Thanks,
      Alicia
    • wbfergusoniii
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 7, 2009
        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "a_riggans" <ariggans@...> wrote:

        > I have been asked to present the break-out session for Cubmaster at the leader specific training for our district. This will be my first time doing so. I have the power point and the syllabus, but was wondering if anyone who has taught this before had any suggestions.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Alicia

        In my experience of teaching other ranks for CSLST (as well as the first two sections), I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to be enthusiastic and well-prepared. Simply reading the provided speaker's notes for parts 1, 2, or 3 to your trainees will neither engage nor inform them. (You won't have any fun, either.) Take several separate nights to expand the published speaker's notes where necessary and add examples of your and your colleagues' experience.

        Also, as instructed by the curriculum I choose energetic "sparklers" (cheers, songs, even audience participation and a game) in parts 1 and 2. The first time I taught the practical information in part 3, though, I noticed that it was pretty dull due to the absence of sparklers, so I've added some there, too.

        You CAN teach CSLST in the prescribed three hours. But even if you expand it to six hours to go through tons of additional sparklers and practical advice, please teach your trainees how Scouters learn: By studying the published body of Scouting knowledge (online and printed by national), attending training courses (online and live), and with guidance from trained Scouters in the field.

        Remind your trainees that a Scout is Resourceful. They must engage learning and development personally and continously (in one of the many formats offered for their convenience). They cannot learn everything in three (or even six) hours.

        Finally, let us remember as trainers that our purpose is to train leaders to lead Scouts, not to run training courses.

        And, have fun training!

        YIS

        Bill
      • hadulzo
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 8, 2009
          To many trainers like to hear there own voice. Work with the syllabus and make it as interactive as possible. Also, Cub scouting is also about cermonies and fun. Don't blow off have opening ceremony, award ceremony and a song or two.
          herb d