Re: CS Training Requirements Question

  • bnelson45
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 30, 2009
      Right now, if you have your membership ID in myscouting, it pours into Scout Net just fine when you finish a course. As far as I can tell.

      Bill

      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, struax@... wrote:

      > And that is when the issues really begin....
      > Will all data map correctly back to scoutnet and be retrieved by reports generated
      >
      > Scott

    • spatula751
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 2, 2009
        I go back to an earlier posting.....

        If your Person ID/Member ID/Number is entered into myScouting, PRIOR to you taking online courses ... it records in ScoutNET fine.

        If it is NOT in PRIOR to taking a course...it DOES NOT record into ScoutNET.

        Any courses taken AFTER it is entered WILL record to ScoutNET just fine.

        To get the courses taken before entry into ScoutNET:
        1. Print certificate and send it to the Council Registrar for manual entry.
        2. Take the online course again, after the Person ID has been entered. It will record it to ScoutNET then.

        Yours in Scouting,
        Brian Sutilla

        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 2, 2009
          I go back to an earlier posting..... Did you report this to National?

          Bill

          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 3, 2009
            Bill,

            Yes, I did. Response, and I quote: "It is a known issue."

            This is one of two responses I get when I report something. The other is "your incident number is xxxxx. Check the flash page for updates."

            Unlike most, I do report it because you never know if it has been reported before. I may work for the BSA, but my degree is in Management Computer Systems. I work PC Help Desks before and know how frustrating it is on both ends.

            Hopefully it will be resolved soon. But I reported another error 4 months ago that still hasn't been fixed with a MyBSA gadget that was working 5 months ago.

            So I just sit, wait, and tell people how to solve the real issue, until the problem is fixed. (In this case below the real issue is getting the training recorded. Because after all it is more important that 1. They are actually trained (a whole other topic) and 2. That it is recorded in the system. Not how it is recored.)

            Yours in Scouting,
            Brian Sutilla

            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "bnelson45" <bnelson45@...> wrote:

            > I go back to an earlier posting..... Did you report this to National?
            >
            > Bill
            >
            > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "spatula751" <spatula@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I go back to an earlier posting.....
            > >
            > > If your Person ID/Member ID/Number is entered into myScouting, PRIOR to you taking online courses ... it records in ScoutNET fine.
            > >
            > > If it is NOT in PRIOR to taking a course...it DOES NOT record into ScoutNET.
            > >
            > > Any courses taken AFTER it is entered WILL record to ScoutNET just fine.
            > >
            > > To get the courses taken before entry into ScoutNET:
            > > 1. Print certificate and send it to the Council Registrar for manual entry.
            > > 2. Take the online course again, after the Person ID has been entered. It will record it to ScoutNET then.
            > >
            > > Yours in Scouting,
            > > Brian Sutilla
            > >

            > > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "bnelson45" <bnelson45@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Right now, if you have your membership ID in myscouting, it pours into Scout Net just fine when you finish a course. As far as I can tell.
            > > >
            > > > Bill

          • Mark Ellis
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 3, 2009
              So, let's see. BSA has approximately 1.1 million (yes, million) adult
              leaders. So, say we only ask 10% of them (let that represent the number of
              new leaders each year) to hit the myscouting.org site and do their initial
              leader training (Fast Start for their position, This is Scouting, and Youth
              Protection). If their BSA ID number is there, everything works fine and
              ScoutNet is automatically updated.

              But what that means is even if the leader gets a BSA ID number and enters it
              on myscouting.org, any of the training accomplished prior to the BSA ID
              number being doesn't go anywhere. And most new leaders don't get a BSA ID
              number for several months (if the process is working fine).

              Does the National Office realize how much work it takes by humans (the
              leader, unit leaders, district training staff, and council staff) to correct
              this simple "programming" issue so we know who is trained and who isn't?
              It's hundreds of thousands of records, folks! That's hours and hours of
              work. And they have the audacity to say training is important. I believe
              training is, but this is simple programming, folks. This ain't rocket
              science.

              Get to it, please. You're wasting our time, and more importantly, you're
              losing our trust.

              Mark Ellis

              Training Chair

              "bnelson45" <bnelson45@> wrote:

              > > > Right now, if you have your membership ID in myscouting, it pours into
              Scout Net just fine when you finish a course. As far as I can tell.

              > > > Bill
              > > >
              > > > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com <mailto:scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com>

            • Doug Acker
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 4, 2009
                WE know there are problems and National is trying to fix it. Right now,
                it is a pain.

                However, this is about the boys (and girls)--no matter what the effort is,
                if it helps them, its worth it.

                From: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com <mailto:scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com>