CS Training Requirements Question

  • Staci Kilpatrick
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 30, 2009
      Question:  To get your Trained Strip as a Cub Scout Leader...is "Intro to Cub Scouts" and "How to have Fun" required?  I know that This is Scouting, Youth Protection, your specific Fast Start and the in-class-type breakout session is - but are these 2 in-class-type trainings required?

      If NLE is replaced by This is Scouting - then can only the breakout session suffice or do people need to go to all 3 of the "in-class-type" trainings?

      Thanks!

    • Doug Acker
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 30, 2009
        The requirement is to complete Cub Leader Specific for your position. This
        includes the 3 parts of "Intro to Cub Scouting", "How to have Fun" and the
        position specific breakout.

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 30, 2009
          You need to go to all three sessions to become trained. If you have taken this course and have just changed your registered position you just take the third or position specific section that applies to you.

          New Leaders Essentials or This Is Scouting is a separate requirement.

          Yours In Scouting

          Mike Crothers

          Unit Commissioner

          Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner

          Lagonda District, Tecumseh Council

          and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13

          and I used to be a good old Fox WE4-57-06

          Question:  To get your Trained Strip as a Cub Scout Leader...is "Intro to Cub Scouts" and "How to have Fun" required?  I know that This is Scouting, Youth Protection, your specific Fast Start and the in-class-type breakout session is - but are these 2 in-class-type trainings required?

          If NLE is replaced by This is Scouting - then can only the breakout session suffice or do people need to go to all 3 of the "in-class-type" trainings?

          Thanks!

        • bnelson45
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 30, 2009
            Late year the 3rd section will be available online
          • struax@tidalwave.net
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 30, 2009
              And that is when the issues really begin....
              Will all data map correctly back to scoutnet and be retrieved by reports generated

              Scott

              From: "bnelson45" <bnelson45@...>

              Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 16:15:50
              To: <scouter_t@yahoogroups.com>
              Subject: [Scouter_T] Re: CS Training Requirements Question

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 30, 2009
                should have said:

                Late NEXT year the 3rd section will be available online

                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 30, 2009
                  Right now, if you have your membership ID in myscouting, it pours into Scout Net just fine when you finish a course. As far as I can tell.

                  Bill

                  --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, struax@... wrote:

                  > And that is when the issues really begin....
                  > Will all data map correctly back to scoutnet and be retrieved by reports generated
                  >
                  > Scott

                • spatula751
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 2, 2009
                    I go back to an earlier posting.....

                    If your Person ID/Member ID/Number is entered into myScouting, PRIOR to you taking online courses ... it records in ScoutNET fine.

                    If it is NOT in PRIOR to taking a course...it DOES NOT record into ScoutNET.

                    Any courses taken AFTER it is entered WILL record to ScoutNET just fine.

                    To get the courses taken before entry into ScoutNET:
                    1. Print certificate and send it to the Council Registrar for manual entry.
                    2. Take the online course again, after the Person ID has been entered. It will record it to ScoutNET then.

                    Yours in Scouting,
                    Brian Sutilla

                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 2, 2009
                      I go back to an earlier posting..... Did you report this to National?

                      Bill

                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 3, 2009
                        Bill,

                        Yes, I did. Response, and I quote: "It is a known issue."

                        This is one of two responses I get when I report something. The other is "your incident number is xxxxx. Check the flash page for updates."

                        Unlike most, I do report it because you never know if it has been reported before. I may work for the BSA, but my degree is in Management Computer Systems. I work PC Help Desks before and know how frustrating it is on both ends.

                        Hopefully it will be resolved soon. But I reported another error 4 months ago that still hasn't been fixed with a MyBSA gadget that was working 5 months ago.

                        So I just sit, wait, and tell people how to solve the real issue, until the problem is fixed. (In this case below the real issue is getting the training recorded. Because after all it is more important that 1. They are actually trained (a whole other topic) and 2. That it is recorded in the system. Not how it is recored.)

                        Yours in Scouting,
                        Brian Sutilla

                        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "bnelson45" <bnelson45@...> wrote:

                        > I go back to an earlier posting..... Did you report this to National?
                        >
                        > Bill
                        >
                        > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "spatula751" <spatula@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I go back to an earlier posting.....
                        > >
                        > > If your Person ID/Member ID/Number is entered into myScouting, PRIOR to you taking online courses ... it records in ScoutNET fine.
                        > >
                        > > If it is NOT in PRIOR to taking a course...it DOES NOT record into ScoutNET.
                        > >
                        > > Any courses taken AFTER it is entered WILL record to ScoutNET just fine.
                        > >
                        > > To get the courses taken before entry into ScoutNET:
                        > > 1. Print certificate and send it to the Council Registrar for manual entry.
                        > > 2. Take the online course again, after the Person ID has been entered. It will record it to ScoutNET then.
                        > >
                        > > Yours in Scouting,
                        > > Brian Sutilla
                        > >

                        > > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "bnelson45" <bnelson45@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Right now, if you have your membership ID in myscouting, it pours into Scout Net just fine when you finish a course. As far as I can tell.
                        > > >
                        > > > Bill

                      • Mark Ellis
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 3, 2009
                          So, let's see. BSA has approximately 1.1 million (yes, million) adult
                          leaders. So, say we only ask 10% of them (let that represent the number of
                          new leaders each year) to hit the myscouting.org site and do their initial
                          leader training (Fast Start for their position, This is Scouting, and Youth
                          Protection). If their BSA ID number is there, everything works fine and
                          ScoutNet is automatically updated.

                          But what that means is even if the leader gets a BSA ID number and enters it
                          on myscouting.org, any of the training accomplished prior to the BSA ID
                          number being doesn't go anywhere. And most new leaders don't get a BSA ID
                          number for several months (if the process is working fine).

                          Does the National Office realize how much work it takes by humans (the
                          leader, unit leaders, district training staff, and council staff) to correct
                          this simple "programming" issue so we know who is trained and who isn't?
                          It's hundreds of thousands of records, folks! That's hours and hours of
                          work. And they have the audacity to say training is important. I believe
                          training is, but this is simple programming, folks. This ain't rocket
                          science.

                          Get to it, please. You're wasting our time, and more importantly, you're
                          losing our trust.

                          Mark Ellis

                          Training Chair

                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 4, 2009
                            WE know there are problems and National is trying to fix it. Right now,
                            it is a pain.

                            However, this is about the boys (and girls)--no matter what the effort is,
                            if it helps them, its worth it.

                            From: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com <mailto:scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com>