RE: [Scouter_T] Re: BCOLS Syllabus

  • Dzierzak, Edward
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 18, 2009
      Back Country Outdoor Leader Skills -- 2009

      This course is aimed at all adults working with older youth regardless of program (Venture Patrol, Varsity Scout, Venturing Crew, or Explorer Post).

      The target audience are leaders planning High Adventure treks at backcountry venues not supported by BSA infrastructure; however, units planning to attend High Adventure bases supported by BSA will find this course useful, inasmuch as unit shakedowns will, most likely, take place in venues not supported by BSA infrastructure.

      Back Country Outdoor Leader Skills is offered by the Council Training Committee as an optional follow-on to the basic course, Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills. Its goal is to provide adult leaders with an overview of such topics as:
      è Working With Older Youth
      è Risk Management
      è Wilderness First Aid & Personal Hygiene
      è Leave No Trace
      è Terrain Awareness & Land Navigation
      è Cooking & Clean-up
      è Resources
      è Equipment Needs
      è Equipment Maintenance
      è On the Trail Tips
      è Teambuilding & Leadership Development

      Part 1 - Addresses ways to effectively work with older youth and covers the detailed preparation and planning that must be done before you go out including risk management. Summarizes the personal and crew equipment used for lightweight camping. Plans are also made for the weekend overnight session.

      Part 2 - Participants will practice core leader skills for the outdoor program - Leave No Trace, navigation (map & compass plus GPS), terrain awareness, expedition menu planning and food preparation, stove and stove maintenance, wilderness first aid issues, expedition health and hygiene, team building.

      From the National Capitol Area Council

      Ed Dzierzak

      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 18, 2009
        This course was developed in and is local to the National Capital Area Council.
        Is the BCOLS syllabus available online anywhere?
        Your In Scouting,
        Steve McDanal

      • techrescuemedic
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 18, 2009
          Sounds very interesting. Maybe when someone comes up with the syllabus they can post it to the files section here.

          C.J. Johnson
          Pack Trainer
          Pack 63
          Coastal Carolina Council
          Charleston, SC

          > This course was developed in and is local to the National Capital Area Council.

        • doc marshall
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 18, 2009
            That would be fantastic! I'd love to put on one of those courses here in the Colorado Rockies!
            Yours in Scouting and Service
            Doc Marshall

          • CoopWright@aol.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 18, 2009
              The BCOLS syllabus was developed in 1990 in response to the Venture option in the troop being announced by BSA in 1988.? John Spencer and I felt that there wasn't a training program offered by BSA that met the needs of ASM-Ventures in planning and carrying out high adventure activitities for older scouts.? Since that time, the course has been upgraded and modified to include the high adventure aspects of training needed for all three older youth BSA programs - Venturing, Varsity, and Venture.

              The original syllabus used much of the?course work?already done by the San Diego County Council as well as councils in the Los Angeles area.? Since its inception, the course has been modified to reflect the older youth programs?offered by BSA.? The bottom line still remains - BCOLS as it is now know is still a hands on course?providing adults the skills and training that they will need to plan and conduct high adventure activities.

              Cooper Wright
              Sounds very interesting. Maybe when someone comes up with the syllabus they can
              post it to the files section here.

              C.J. Johnson
              Pack Trainer
              Pack 63
              Coastal Carolina Council
              Charleston, SC

              --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Jon Baake" <jbaake@...> wrote:

              > This course was developed in and is local to the National Capital Area
              Council.

            • Sandra Martens
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 18, 2009
                does anyone have the syllabus that would be willing to share it with other councils?

                Sandy OWL

                The BCOLS syllabus was developed in 1990 in response to the Venture option in the troop being announced by BSA in 1988.? John Spencer and I felt that there wasn't a training program offered by BSA that met the needs of ASM-Ventures in planning and carrying out high adventure activitities for older scouts.? Since that time, the course has been upgraded and modified to include the high adventure aspects of training needed for all three older youth BSA programs - Venturing, Varsity, and Venture.

                The original syllabus used much of the?course work?already done by the San Diego County Council as well as councils in the Los Angeles area.? Since its inception, the course has been modified to reflect the older youth programs?offered by BSA.? The bottom line still remains - BCOLS as it is now know is still a hands on course?providing adults the skills and training that they will need to plan and conduct high adventure activities.

                Cooper Wright
                Sounds very interesting. Maybe when someone comes up with the syllabus they can
                post it to the files section here.

                C.J. Johnson
                Pack Trainer
                Pack 63
                Coastal Carolina Council
                Charleston, SC

                --- In scouter_t@yahoogrou ps.com, "Jon Baake" <jbaake@...> wrote:

                > This course was developed in and is local to the National Capital Area
                Council.

              • Al
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 31, 2011
                  I've seen a lot of posts back and forth but I havent seen the answer:
                  Can someone send me the link to the syllabus?

                  YIS,
                  Al Best
                  Heart of Virginia Council

                • CoopWright@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 31, 2011
                    Since Backcountry Outdoor Leader Skills course was produced by individual
                    scouters and not BSA, you won't find it anywhere on line. John Spencer and
                    I drafted up the first course in 1989 when the Venture option was first
                    introduced. We used much of the material that was contained in High
                    Adventure training guides from the San Diego County Council and the San Francisco
                    Bay Area Council. The course has been continuously updated with new
                    material to include women in the backcountry and advances in backcountry equipment.

                    Cooper Wright

                    wrote:

                    > Is the BCOLS syllabus available online anywhere?
                    > Your In Scouting,
                    > Steve McDanal

                  • Steve
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 1, 2011
                      After asking, I found out that the course is a local council course, not a national course. Therefore, there is no syllabus available.

                      Yours in Scouting,
                      Steve McDanal