Re: [Scouter_T] New position in Troops

  • tburke57@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 16, 2009
      The Youth POR - Leave no Trace Trainer, is a bit different from all the others. The Youth must be 14 y/o or older. To be considered Trained, he must go through the Leave No Trace Trainer course - a 16 hour course. These courses are offered by LNT Master Educators (ME).

      The BSA LNT Task Force has been busy trying to train up as many Master Educators as they can. An initial goal is to have at least one Master Educator in each council actively serving. Councils have been asked to identify one individual as their council's LNT Outdoor Advocate. So, Ideally, the Advocate will encourage others to become MEs who will conduct Trainer Courses for both the Youth and the Adults. To become a LNT Trainer, you do not have to go through a BSA/Council offered course. There are other Organizations out there offering the training.

      How do you get your council to offer a course - ASK them... and ask again,.... get your friends to be asking... eventually this squeaky wheel will get some grease - I mean, they will arrange to offer the courses. An ideal arrangement would be for a council to have a ME on their summer camp staff, who could offer the training during summer camp. The class could be offered mornings all week long, or on 2 days (example all day Monday and Tuesday.) This gives the older scouts something special to do while leaving other periods open to have fun in (water sports for example).

      I hope to offer a couple of classes in my council maybe once a quarter.
      Great Question. again "who is to teach the youth to be Leave No Trace Trainers? -- any Leave No Trace Master Educator. (your council should be working on providing one - I became one as a Woodbadge Ticket Item.)

      As for where does the information come from - where are the requirements to be found... Nothing to my knowledge has made its way down to us from on high... however on another discussion group, we have talked about this, and you will find the guidance from the BSA LNT Task Force below.

      Tom Burke
      Great Rivers Council
      LNT Outdoor Advocate & ME

      The issue of minimum age for a youth to attend Leave No Trace Trainer training was addressed at the recent National Council annual meeting in Orlando. The Leave No Trace task force had, after extensive discussion at the task force meeting in April, recommended 16 with a waiver available from the Master Educator down to age 14. This recommendation was considered by the National Outdoor Programs Committee. Ultimately, the National Outdoor Programs Committee rejected that recommendation in favor of a flat 14 year old age limit for taking the Trainer course and/or holding the Leave No Trace Trainer position of responsibility within the BSA. Further, the National Outdoor Programs Committee indicated that it would remain the responsibility of the Master Educator conducting the course to ensure that all Trainers meet BSA (and Center) quality objectives and that candidates that do not meet such quality objectives should not be graduated from the course. So, official BSA policy is that a youth must be at least age 14 at the time of the course to take a BSA Trainer course and at least age 14 to hold the Leave No Trace Trainer position of responsibility within a troop.

      For youth younger than 14, the task force recommends that they be directed to the new BSA Leave No Trace 101 course and serve as an "Instructor" (existing recognized position of responsibility within a troop). This allows younger youth the opportunity to learn about Leave No Trace and lead their peers without the added pressure of being able to meet all of the Center's expectations for serving as a Trainer when the additional supports found in the BSA program are not in place. The National Outdoor Program Committee was comfortable with this approach. The BSA Leave No Trace 101 course is not a requirement for service as an Instructor; it is a recommendation only.