The Moo-Moo skit

  • Warren Kraft
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 14, 2009
      Interestingly enough, we had such a backlash during last year's course over the appropriateness of the MOO-MOO skit, that staff decided to substitute The Yellow Bandanna routine in its place.  Perhaps one factor is that this week long course, which begins next Monday, will see a large attendance of LDS scouters.

      Yours In Scouting,
      wpkraft, Chaplain
      Twin Lakes District, Bay-Lakes Council
      Troop 615, Oshkosh
      Troop Website - http://www.troop615.0catch.com
      Troop Calendar - http://my.calendars.net/troop_615/
      http://www.facebook.com/people/Warren_Kraft/1442726748
      http://www.murphydesmond.com/Bio/WarrenKraft.asp

      We make a living by what we get;
      we make a life by what we give.
      Sir Winston Churchill (1874 - 1965)

    • Jason Ball
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 14, 2009
        As one of the LDS scouters who will be attending next week I would
        like you to expand on your comments. Without giving anything away,
        what is in the cow skit that would specifically offend Latter-Day
        Saints? Did your LDS Wood Badge staff members raise the objections?

        Jason
        Illinois
        On Aug 14, 2009, at 8:52 AM, Warren Kraft wrote:

        > Interestingly enough, we had such a backlash during last year's
        > course over the appropriateness of the MOO-MOO skit, that staff
        > decided to substitute The Yellow Bandanna routine in its place.
        > Perhaps one factor is that this week long course, which begins next
        > Monday, will see a large attendance of LDS scouters.
        >
        > Yours In Scouting,
        > wpkraft, Chaplain
        > Twin Lakes District, Bay-Lakes Council
        > Troop 615, Oshkosh
        > Troop Website - http://www.troop615.0catch.com
        > Troop Calendar - http://my.calendars.net/troop_615/
        > http://www.facebook.com/people/Warren_Kraft/1442726748
        > http://www.murphydesmond.com/Bio/WarrenKraft.asp
        >
        > We make a living by what we get;
        > we make a life by what we give.
        > Sir Winston Churchill (1874 - 1965)

      • smithds0913
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 14, 2009
          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Jason Ball <mrjasonball@...> wrote:

          > As one of the LDS scouters who will be attending next week I would
          > like you to expand on your comments. Without giving anything away,
          > what is in the cow skit that would specifically offend Latter-Day
          > Saints? Did your LDS Wood Badge staff members raise the objections?
          >
          > Jason
          > Illinois
          > On Aug 14, 2009, at 8:52 AM, Warren Kraft wrote:
          >
          > > Interestingly enough, we had such a backlash during last year's
          > > course over the appropriateness of the MOO-MOO skit, that staff
          > > decided to substitute The Yellow Bandanna routine in its place.
          > > Perhaps one factor is that this week long course, which begins next
          > > Monday, will see a large attendance of LDS scouters.
          > >
          > > Yours In Scouting,
          > > wpkraft, Chaplain
          > > Twin Lakes District, Bay-Lakes Council
          > > Troop 615, Oshkosh
          > > Troop Website - http://www.troop615.0catch.com
          > > Troop Calendar - http://my.calendars.net/troop_615/
          > > http://www.facebook.com/people/Warren_Kraft/1442726748
          > > http://www.murphydesmond.com/Bio/WarrenKraft.asp
          > >
          > > We make a living by what we get;
          > > we make a life by what we give.
          > > Sir Winston Churchill (1874 - 1965)

          Not really sure what would be offense, the skit is in good taste, the only thing someone might object to is some folks are dressed in cow costumes that (may) have udders as part of the costume, depending on the costumes they devise. In every WB for the 21st cenury course we have held in our council (5 in the last 5 years) no one has complained about udders on the costumes and our makeup has been between 66% and 80% LDS. BTW, I'm LDS and IMHO the skit is great fun.

          Scott Smith
          Catalina Council Training Chair
        • Brian mott
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 15, 2009
            I am LDS, have attended Wood Badge and staffed 2 courses, the second of
            which was primarily LDS participants. No one had any objections to this
            skit on any of these courses.

            I also would be curious as to what the objections were.

            Brian Mott

            Midland, MI