This Is Scouting

  • Geoffrey Mayer
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 11, 2009
      Hello!

      The course code for taking "This Is Scouting" on-line is WA01. Does anyone know what the code is
      when the course is taken using the DVD? The W on the front usually means a web course.

      Thanks!

      Geoffrey Mayer
    • bljohnson95901@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 11, 2009
        I've been told it is the same by our council expert.

        Bruce Johnson

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 22, 2009
          Is "This Is Scouting" available for download anywhere?

          Yours In Scouting,
          Steve McDanal
          Cub Scout Training Chair
          Western Shore District, BSA

          I used to be an Eagle and a Good Ol Staffer Too...

          Once an Eagle, Always an Eagle
        • Michael Crothers
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 22, 2009
            Your council should have the disk and can get more , one per each district.

            You can also order it from National Supply, #36118  $9.99

            And by the way it can be copied.
            Yours In Scouting

            Mike Crothers

            Unit Commissioner

            Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner

            Lagonda District, Tecumseh Council

            and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13

            and I used to be a good old Fox WE4-57-06

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 22, 2009
              Nope - not as far as I know. You have to buy the DVD from your Scout shop
              or ScoutStuff.

              Pack Trainer, P. 512
              Cub Scout Training Coordinator
              3 Rivers District
              Scouting. Good for Life.

              In a message dated 8/22/2009 6:22:36 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
              bsa.scoutleader@... writes:

              Is "This Is Scouting" available for download anywhere?

              Yours In Scouting,
              Steve McDanal
              Cub Scout Training Chair
              Western Shore District, BSA

              I used to be an Eagle and a Good Ol Staffer Too...

              Once an Eagle, Always an Eagle

            • Walsh, John (AGO)
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 24, 2009
                This is Scouting DVD

                View Alternative Images
                <http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/imgviewer.aspx?img=36118_is>

                This is Scouting (formally known as New Leader Essentials) is still a
                required segment on your basic training path, and should be taken after
                you have completed Fast Start training, Youth Protection training and
                Leader Specific training. This new format makes it easier for you to
                learn about the BSA and can also be taken online by going to
                www.scouting.org and clicking on Online Learning Center. 2009 Printing.

                Retail Price: $9.99

                Item: 36118

                Availability:
                Normally ships within 3 business days

                Shipping:
                Shipping rates and policies
                <http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/ShipInfo.aspx>

                ________________________________

                Boy Scouts of America | National Supply Group

                Documents & Forms <http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/forms.aspx> |
                Find a Store <http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/storeloc.aspx> |
                Privacy Statement <http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/privacy.aspx> |
                Terms of Use <http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/policies.aspx> |
                Other BSA Sites <http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/othersites.aspx>

                P.O. Box 7143 | Charlotte, NC 28241-7143 | 1-800-323-0736

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 31, 2009
                  I called by council and they know nothing about one DVD for each district. Soooo I call the scout shop thats near my work (different council) and they had none in stock because no one is asking for them. they will have 2 for me on Wednesday.

                  Herb d
                  Chicago
                  --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Michael Crothers <dowrightbw@...> wrote:

                  > Your council should have the disk and can get more , one per each district.
                  >
                  > You can also order it from National Supply, #36118  $9.99
                  >
                  > And by the way it can be copied.
                  > Yours In Scouting
                  >

                  > Mike Crothers
                  >
                  > Unit Commissioner
                  >
                  > Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                  >
                  > Lagonda District, Tecumseh Council

                  > and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13

                • Judy Yeager
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 31, 2009
                    Michael Crothers wrote, in part, "Your council should have the disk and can get more, one per each district."

                    Herb replied, "I called my council and they know nothing about one DVD for each district."

                    I think what we have here is a difference in council policy. Each council has a budget for training and the size of that budget is set by the council and what it will be spent on is probably up to the professional advisor to the Council Training Committee. It would appear that that professional in Michael's council has decided that each district should have at least one copy of all new training materials, and perhaps Herb's has not. (I say perhaps because I do not know who Herb talked to. In my council, you would have to ask the professional overseeing training to get an answer for that question.)

                    Judy Yeager
                    HOAC Council Training Chair

                  • hadulzo
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 1, 2009
                      I talked to our council program director and she doesn't have a copy for herself. I pretty sure the DVD I buy wednesday will be the one the council uses next month since our district training chair usually runs that training at council level.
                      I thought is was strange that national would be giving something away that they sell. Also, I am sure they would prefer it be done on line so giving away DVD's would be counterproductive.

                      herb d

                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 1, 2009
                        I got my DVD today. Anyone who wants to use this on a DVD player inleu of a computer must realize a remote control for the DVD player is required to answer the questions. I assume the pause allows for discussion and the group to answer the question.

                        herb d