Re: [Scouter_T] Den Chief Training

  • Jamie Niss Dunn
    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 3, 2009
      Since the requirement predates the online Fast Start, I'm pretty sure
      its the classroom course which is required for the award.

      Jamie Niss Dunn
      Pack Trainer, Pack 512
      Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
      Troop Committee, Troop 509
      Ham Lake, MN
      Cub Scout Training Coordinator
      Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
      Three Rivers District
    • Ben Ward
      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 3, 2009
        No the fast start is just that a fast start to the postion like us adult leaders we also have fast start to get us started however we still have to take the classroom portion of the training. The Den Chiefs will need to take the classroom portation also.

        Yours in Scouting,

        Ben Ward

        Eagle Scout Class 1999
        Heart of Virginia Council # 602

        Message 3 of 30 , Oct 14, 2009
          Is the 2004 printing still the current syllabus for Den Chief Training?

          Is this a Boy Scout training course or a Cub Scout training course? Can a unit put it on, or does the District/Council have to do it?

          Yours In Scouting,
          Steve McDanal
          Cub Scout Training Chair
          Western Shore District, BSA

          I used to be an Eagle and a Good Ol Staffer Too...

          Once an Eagle, Always an Eagle
        • Corbin Sarchet
          Message 4 of 30 , Oct 14, 2009
            There are two courses.

            A new Den Chief fast start, which is accessed through scouting.org, e-center
            training, and toward the bottom. It is a mirror image of the classroom
            course, the Den Chief Training Conference, which adds in practical work and
            hands on work.

            In our Council, it is conducted by the District Boy Scout training
            committee. It is not a course for Cub Scouts or Cub Leaders, although we
            encourage Cub Leaders to help instruct or to mentor the course to see what
            it is that Den Chiefs do. We do it in our district twice a year, but since
            we are part of the Orlando metro area, nearby districts offerings make it
            available in the Orlando area about eight times a year.

            Note: the classroom version is required for the den chief service award and
            for the Den Chief to wear the "trained" strip. To be considered ":trained,"
            the Den Chief has to had taken part in his Troop's Troop Leader Training and
            the Den Chief Training Conference.

            Corb Sarchet

            CFC

          • Jamie Niss Dunn
            Message 5 of 30 , Oct 14, 2009
              I have a 2008 printing. There are some updates (minor).

              "Den Chief Training is a meeting of den chief and prospective den chiefs on a council, district or single-pack basis. It is planned and operated by council or distric trainers or adult leaders who are familiar with Cub Scouting."

              P. 2 of the syllabus.

              Same page refers to the Cubmaster conducting the training.

              Also "The training is designed for den chiefs. However, all adult leaders who recuit or work with den chiefs are encouraged to attend with them."

              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 26, 2009
                I am training Den Chief training at a campout this next week.  Does anyone here have a good presentation for this?  I will have my laptop and would LOVE to have something other than the book to show them.  THANKS SO MUCH

              • Trisha E Munsch
                Message 7 of 30 , Dec 26, 2009
                  There's a whole syllabus for this training. The buttonholer idea is a great gathering time game for them, then they get to have something to take with them to play with their cubbies too! Also if there's some type of activity that calls for the boys to give about 6 -8 answers, it's kinda fun to have those answers on a piece of paper inside a balloon, then they have to pop the balloon to read the answer. It'sbeen a long time since I've done this training, but if you have access to any boy scouts that have already been thru it, that is the ideal session - to have it led by boys.

                  I am training Den Chief training at a campout this next week.  Does anyone here have a good presentation for this?  I will have my laptop and would LOVE to have something other than the book to show them.  THANKS SO MUCH

                  Reply to sender | Reply to groupMessages in this topic (25)

                • Jon Baake
                  Message 8 of 30 , Dec 27, 2009
                    Try this link to Den Chief Training links at usscouts.org. http://usscouts.org/googlesearch.asp?cx=000788815416682882412%3A07ksjxxkzyy&cof=FORID%3A11&q=den+chief+training&sa=Search#1054

                    Jon Baake
                    NCAC
                    Message 9 of 30 , Oct 22, 2010
                      Can anyone tell me how long the Den Chief Conference runs according to
                      the schedule in the syllabus?

                      Does anyone know where one could find a copy of the syllabus on the web?

                      Thanks in advance.

                      Judy Yeager
                    • Harrison
                      Message 10 of 30 , Oct 23, 2010
                        I have posted a Den Chief Training Folder with the syllabus in it as well as
                        Word Documents that can be used as resources or handouts put together per
                        the syllabus from the Den Chief Handbook and other resources. The handouts
                        can be printed, including a cover, and put together back to back in an order
                        that might be helpful as a packet for Den Chief participants. Hope this is
                        helpful.

                      • Judy Yeager
                        Message 11 of 30 , Oct 23, 2010
                          Thanks!