Re: [Scouter_T] Trainer's EDGE

  • Chad C. Cooper
    Message 1 of 30 , Jul 27, 2009
      Different councils have taken different approaches. I believe that my
      Council (Northern Star) has pulled the plug on TDC and is only offering
      EDGE.

      YiS,

      - Chad
      Chief Black Dog, Northern Star Council
      Apple Valley, MN

      Sandra Martens wrote:

      > TDC is training required for the Pack Trainer's knot, and it the
      > training for CS and Den Chief trainers. EDGE is for WB and NYLT.
      >
      > both still exist.
      >
      > Sandy OWL
      >
      > --- On Sun, 7/26/09, Judy Yeager <kcjscout@...
      > <mailto:kcjscout%40everestkc.net>> wrote:
      >
      > From: Judy Yeager <kcjscout@...
      > <mailto:kcjscout%40everestkc.net>>
      > Subject: [Scouter_T] Trainer's EDGE
      > To: "Scouter-T" <scouter_t@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com>>
      > Date: Sunday, July 26, 2009, 8:53 PM
      >

      > Trainers -
      >
      > I am confused about TDC and Trainer's EDGE. When the EDGE syllabus
      > first came out, I read the introduction where it mentions that this
      > replaces TDC for WB and NYLT staffs. I interpreted this to mean that
      > it is in addition to TDC, but it seems that others interpret it to
      > mean that TDC is now dead and has been replaced by EDGE.
      >
      > How do you (or your Council, or word from National that you know
      > about) interpret this?
      >
      > Confused in KC,
      >
      > Judy Yeager

    • Joe Woodwell
      Message 2 of 30 , Jul 28, 2009
        I have received the same message Ernie from Joe Glasscock at the
        national council and have instructed our district training chairs and
        all training staff to do likewise.

        Joe Woodwell
        Flower Mound, Texas

        looney_lope wrote:

        > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com <mailto:scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com>,
        > Judy Yeager <kcjscout@...> wrote:
        > While I am not on the national group responsible for the writing /
        > re-writing of the Trainer's EDGE and other train-the-trainer syllabi,
        > I do know members of the team. I have exchanged emails with the team
        > and they have encouraged me to use the Trainer's EDGE as a replacement
        > to TDC until the material is re-written. I like the Trainer's EDGE and
        > I will follow this advice even if it is not (yet) the official position.
        >
        > Ernie Coco
        > Louisiana
        >
        > Trainers -
        > >
        > > I am confused about TDC and Trainer's EDGE. When the EDGE syllabus
        > first came out, I read the introduction where it mentions that this
        > replaces TDC for WB and NYLT staffs. I interpreted this to mean that
        > it is in addition to TDC, but it seems that others interpret it to
        > mean that TDC is now dead and has been replaced by EDGE.
        > >
        > > How do you (or your Council, or word from National that you know
        > about) interpret this?
        > >
        > > Confused in KC,
        > >
        > > Judy Yeager

      • Judy Yeager
        Message 3 of 30 , Jul 28, 2009
          Ernie said, "While I am not on the national group responsible for the writing / re-writing of the Trainer's EDGE and other train-the-trainer syllabi, I do know members of the team. I have exchanged emails with the team and they have encouraged me to use the Trainer's EDGE as a replacement to TDC until the material is re-written. I like the Trainer's EDGE and I will follow this advice even if it is not (yet) the official position."

          and Joe said, "I have received the same message Ernie from Joe Glasscock at the national council and have instructed our district training chairs and all training staff to do likewise."

          It would appear from these messages that TDC is in the process of being re-written, but trainers are advised to use Trainer's EDGE in lieu of TDC until that happens. To me this is like saying, "We'll just teach Algebra II to everyone until Algebra I is rewritten." Where did I go wrong here?

          Judy Yeager

        • Sandra Martens
          Message 4 of 30 , Jul 28, 2009
            here, here.  I agree with you Judy.

            Sandy OWL

            Message 5 of 30 , Jul 29, 2009
              I don't think you're going wrong anywhere Judy. By all means, if you
              think TDC should continue to be taught, teach it. And more power to you
              and to your staff. I personally like the TDC material although some is
              admittedly 'long in the tooth'. You have the power and right to choose
              how to approach things as a council. I'm not saying you have to follow
              my way.

              However, after multiple conversations with the national council, I
              simply made a strategic decision to exclusively offer TE in my council.
              That decision has been well received and people who would ordinarily
              have gone to the TDC have had a great experience with TE. We have
              actually added to our training ranks with it unlike with TDC. As long as
              national tells me I'm in compliance and not violating policy, and
              actually encourages my direction, I'm fine with teaching the Trainers
              EDGE. However your council's needs may be different and if that means
              doing both TDC and TE, you should do what is needed.

              Joe Woodwell