Re: [Scouter_T] Re: Trainer's E.D.G.E.

  • Teresa Hall
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 9, 2009
      Interesting. As I noted earlier I have done this twice, once mostly WB staff
      with about 6 NYLT senior youth staffers, then again with the rest of the
      NYLT staff and a smaller group of adults.

      The WB staff session, all were told to pull together a new presentation. I
      felt that presentation development should be part of the training for any
      trainer. But for the most NYLT session, the Scoutmaster asked if I would
      allow them to give their staff presentations if they wanted, as he felt the
      practice would be helpful. Some of them did, some did not - but I think it
      was very beneficial to the ones that did. And never having seen NYLT, I
      enjoyed it!

      Donna, I found your comments spot on about training administration being
      missing in TE. However, it wasn't in TDC either. Our council had a session
      we developed and put on during TDC lunch for this purpose, but it wasn't
      part of the TDC syllabus. We haven't integrated it into TE yet.

      Teresa Hall

      On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 12:42 AM, Steven Powell
      <foxscouter@...>wrote:

      > No, Rick, I don't. I think, if anything, the NYLT presentations would be
      > good to share especially in this group. There may well be future staffers
      > in the room and as we all know it has been easier to garner WB staff than
      > NYLT staff. If folks knew the quality of the NYLT syllabus perhaps they
      > might be prompted to volunteer for staff positions. Additionally,
      > experienced WB staff could certainly help new NYLT staffers and what better
      > material to critique than the material you are going to present.
      >

      > Steve

    • Steven Powell
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 9, 2009
        I would be interested in more explanations for "training administration" as
        both you and Donna are referring to. First, for the sake of discussion,
        there is a great deal on administering the Trainer's Development Conference.
        You need only look in the beginning pages and there's section after section
        on how to "administer" that training. Second, the purpose of TDC is to help
        develop the trainer, not the training. The purpose of Trainer's EDGE is to
        advance the "basics" of trainer development learned at TDC by focusing on
        the actual creation and delivery of information through training in the Boy
        Scouts of America. Third, perhaps the most important elements of the Pack
        Trainer position, for example, is Fast Start training, encouraging new
        leaders to attend Leader Specific training (and providing a district
        training calendar) and maintaining the pack's training records. This is all
        explained in the Cub Scout Leader "position specific" Training.

        So, all this begs the question "why should the focus of developing the
        trainer be diverted to administration of training"? Especially when there
        are additional courses or resources that addresses this and, again, another
        example would be the Training Management Seminar at the Philmont Training
        Center (PTC)? Now, if you are referring to "how to fill out a Tour Permit
        or Advancement form" that is all covered in both CS and BS Leader Specific
        training.

        Seeking to understand before I attempt to be understood.

        Steve

        <foxscouter@... <mailto:foxscouter%40lpbroadband.net> >wrote:

        > No, Rick, I don't. I think, if anything, the NYLT presentations would be
        > good to share especially in this group. There may well be future staffers
        > in the room and as we all know it has been easier to garner WB staff than
        > NYLT staff. If folks knew the quality of the NYLT syllabus perhaps they
        > might be prompted to volunteer for staff positions. Additionally,
        > experienced WB staff could certainly help new NYLT staffers and what
        better
        > material to critique than the material you are going to present.
        >

        > Steve
        >

        > From: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com <mailto:scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com>
        > > If there was a criticism I would say "do not let WB staff use any of
        > their
        > course presentations" as part of the TE presentation module. Many of the
        > folks in attendance have not gone through Wood Badge. That's my nickel's
        > worth."
        >
        > Hi Steve,
        >
        > Thanks for the input. A question, in light of your "nickel's worth" on not
        > having Wood Badge staff use their WB presentations during the Trainer's
        > EDGE, do feel the same holds true for NYLT staff?
        >
        > ,___

      • Teresa Hall
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 9, 2009
          Steven,where we were coming from was that if this participant was going to
          be a trainer, they needed to be introduced to a Training Attendance Report,
          for example, and the procedures our Council uses for getting permission to
          offer an event, getting the training event on the calendar, budget approved
          and closed out, and so forth. What training opportunities require Council
          approval, and what does the District have the authority to offer?

          Perhaps you give out the TDC syllabus to the participants - we did not. So
          the information in the beginning on putting on a TDC was neither accessible
          them, nor really what we had in mind. Some of it was in the District
          Training Committee Manual, but many of these folks were not on that
          committee nor did they aspire to be.

          I completely agree that TDC focused on developing the trainer, not the
          training. But where exactly was person who took TDC to enhance their
          ability to offer, for example, Chartered Organization Rep training, going to
          find out the policies and procedures that were needed to do what they wanted
          to do? They left knowing how to do a good job presenting the material, I
          hope, but they still could not correctly implement the event. What was
          happening with us was that almost everyone picked up the phone and asked to
          get this information taught to them one-on-one.

          We found it to be a very helpful addition. Even trainers who only expected
          to be part of a larger staff said they appreciated understanding how traning
          was supposed to be administered.

          Your mileage may vary! As an alternative we considered offering something
          like Course Director's Training at University of Scouting, but felt like too
          many of the people who would want to take it would actually be teaching or
          involved in UofS administration activities at any given time.

          Teresa Hall