Re: Trainer's E.D.G.E.

  • Richard C. Pushies
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 9, 2009
      > If there was a criticism I would say "do not let WB staff use any of their course presentations" as part of the TE presentation module. Many of the folks in attendance have not gone through Wood Badge. That's my nickel's worth."

      Hi Steve,

      Thanks for the input. A question, in light of your "nickel's worth" on not having Wood Badge staff use their WB presentations during the Trainer's EDGE, do feel the same holds true for NYLT staff?

      This is a critical question because unlike adult Wood Badge staff who often have more experience as trainers, NYLT staff are more likely to be new to making presentation in front of a group. Then there is the social dynamics of teenagers making presentations to teenage participants who could be older than the staff member. Because of these aspects unique to NYLT staff development, I would hope your advice for the NYLT staff would be different. I look forward to your thoughts.

      Yours Truly in Scouting,
      Rick
    • Steven Powell
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 9, 2009
        No, Rick, I don't. I think, if anything, the NYLT presentations would be
        good to share especially in this group. There may well be future staffers
        in the room and as we all know it has been easier to garner WB staff than
        NYLT staff. If folks knew the quality of the NYLT syllabus perhaps they
        might be prompted to volunteer for staff positions. Additionally,
        experienced WB staff could certainly help new NYLT staffers and what better
        material to critique than the material you are going to present.

        Steve

        > If there was a criticism I would say "do not let WB staff use any of their
        course presentations" as part of the TE presentation module. Many of the
        folks in attendance have not gone through Wood Badge. That's my nickel's
        worth."

        Hi Steve,

        Thanks for the input. A question, in light of your "nickel's worth" on not
        having Wood Badge staff use their WB presentations during the Trainer's
        EDGE, do feel the same holds true for NYLT staff?

        ,___

      • Teresa Hall
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 9, 2009
          Interesting. As I noted earlier I have done this twice, once mostly WB staff
          with about 6 NYLT senior youth staffers, then again with the rest of the
          NYLT staff and a smaller group of adults.

          The WB staff session, all were told to pull together a new presentation. I
          felt that presentation development should be part of the training for any
          trainer. But for the most NYLT session, the Scoutmaster asked if I would
          allow them to give their staff presentations if they wanted, as he felt the
          practice would be helpful. Some of them did, some did not - but I think it
          was very beneficial to the ones that did. And never having seen NYLT, I
          enjoyed it!

          Donna, I found your comments spot on about training administration being
          missing in TE. However, it wasn't in TDC either. Our council had a session
          we developed and put on during TDC lunch for this purpose, but it wasn't
          part of the TDC syllabus. We haven't integrated it into TE yet.

          Teresa Hall

          On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 12:42 AM, Steven Powell
          <foxscouter@...>wrote:

          > No, Rick, I don't. I think, if anything, the NYLT presentations would be
          > good to share especially in this group. There may well be future staffers
          > in the room and as we all know it has been easier to garner WB staff than
          > NYLT staff. If folks knew the quality of the NYLT syllabus perhaps they
          > might be prompted to volunteer for staff positions. Additionally,
          > experienced WB staff could certainly help new NYLT staffers and what better
          > material to critique than the material you are going to present.
          >

          > Steve

        • Steven Powell
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 9, 2009
            I would be interested in more explanations for "training administration" as
            both you and Donna are referring to. First, for the sake of discussion,
            there is a great deal on administering the Trainer's Development Conference.
            You need only look in the beginning pages and there's section after section
            on how to "administer" that training. Second, the purpose of TDC is to help
            develop the trainer, not the training. The purpose of Trainer's EDGE is to
            advance the "basics" of trainer development learned at TDC by focusing on
            the actual creation and delivery of information through training in the Boy
            Scouts of America. Third, perhaps the most important elements of the Pack
            Trainer position, for example, is Fast Start training, encouraging new
            leaders to attend Leader Specific training (and providing a district
            training calendar) and maintaining the pack's training records. This is all
            explained in the Cub Scout Leader "position specific" Training.

            So, all this begs the question "why should the focus of developing the
            trainer be diverted to administration of training"? Especially when there
            are additional courses or resources that addresses this and, again, another
            example would be the Training Management Seminar at the Philmont Training
            Center (PTC)? Now, if you are referring to "how to fill out a Tour Permit
            or Advancement form" that is all covered in both CS and BS Leader Specific
            training.

            Seeking to understand before I attempt to be understood.

            Steve

            <foxscouter@... <mailto:foxscouter%40lpbroadband.net> >wrote:

            > No, Rick, I don't. I think, if anything, the NYLT presentations would be
            > good to share especially in this group. There may well be future staffers
            > in the room and as we all know it has been easier to garner WB staff than
            > NYLT staff. If folks knew the quality of the NYLT syllabus perhaps they
            > might be prompted to volunteer for staff positions. Additionally,
            > experienced WB staff could certainly help new NYLT staffers and what
            better
            > material to critique than the material you are going to present.
            >

            > Steve
            >

            > From: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com <mailto:scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com>
            > > If there was a criticism I would say "do not let WB staff use any of
            > their
            > course presentations" as part of the TE presentation module. Many of the
            > folks in attendance have not gone through Wood Badge. That's my nickel's
            > worth."
            >
            > Hi Steve,
            >
            > Thanks for the input. A question, in light of your "nickel's worth" on not
            > having Wood Badge staff use their WB presentations during the Trainer's
            > EDGE, do feel the same holds true for NYLT staff?
            >
            > ,___

          • Teresa Hall
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 9, 2009
              Steven,where we were coming from was that if this participant was going to
              be a trainer, they needed to be introduced to a Training Attendance Report,
              for example, and the procedures our Council uses for getting permission to
              offer an event, getting the training event on the calendar, budget approved
              and closed out, and so forth. What training opportunities require Council
              approval, and what does the District have the authority to offer?

              Perhaps you give out the TDC syllabus to the participants - we did not. So
              the information in the beginning on putting on a TDC was neither accessible
              them, nor really what we had in mind. Some of it was in the District
              Training Committee Manual, but many of these folks were not on that
              committee nor did they aspire to be.

              I completely agree that TDC focused on developing the trainer, not the
              training. But where exactly was person who took TDC to enhance their
              ability to offer, for example, Chartered Organization Rep training, going to
              find out the policies and procedures that were needed to do what they wanted
              to do? They left knowing how to do a good job presenting the material, I
              hope, but they still could not correctly implement the event. What was
              happening with us was that almost everyone picked up the phone and asked to
              get this information taught to them one-on-one.

              We found it to be a very helpful addition. Even trainers who only expected
              to be part of a larger staff said they appreciated understanding how traning
              was supposed to be administered.

              Your mileage may vary! As an alternative we considered offering something
              like Course Director's Training at University of Scouting, but felt like too
              many of the people who would want to take it would actually be teaching or
              involved in UofS administration activities at any given time.

              Teresa Hall