RE: [Scouter_T] Trainer's E.D.G.E.

  • Donna F. Williams
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 9, 2009
      It sounds like Trainers Development Training should still be offered for new
      trainers and the Trainer's EDGE is for advanced trainers. I thought
      Trainers Edge was replacing Trainer Development but I guess not since the
      basics are not being covered in Edge. The only thing I see that was missing
      was how to be a Pack or Troop Trainer specifically; i.e. How to put together
      a training book for your Pack/Troop, doing paperwork, required courses for
      new leaders, etc. They have the new breakout with Cub Leader Specific
      Training for Pack Trainers but because of low attendance, they keep
      combining them into Committee breakout section! Nothing for Troop Trainers
      unfortunately.

      Donna F. Williams

      Gulf Ridge Trainer

      <http://quartermasterstore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Co
      de=PC-T6&Category_Code=WB-6-Bear> Bear Patch"Ma Ma Bear".... SR 953

      11315 McMullen Loop

      Riverview, FL 33569

      williamsdfw@...

      813-671-4173

    • Richard C. Pushies
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 9, 2009
        > If there was a criticism I would say "do not let WB staff use any of their course presentations" as part of the TE presentation module. Many of the folks in attendance have not gone through Wood Badge. That's my nickel's worth."

        Hi Steve,

        Thanks for the input. A question, in light of your "nickel's worth" on not having Wood Badge staff use their WB presentations during the Trainer's EDGE, do feel the same holds true for NYLT staff?

        This is a critical question because unlike adult Wood Badge staff who often have more experience as trainers, NYLT staff are more likely to be new to making presentation in front of a group. Then there is the social dynamics of teenagers making presentations to teenage participants who could be older than the staff member. Because of these aspects unique to NYLT staff development, I would hope your advice for the NYLT staff would be different. I look forward to your thoughts.

        Yours Truly in Scouting,
        Rick
      • Steven Powell
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 9, 2009
          No, Rick, I don't. I think, if anything, the NYLT presentations would be
          good to share especially in this group. There may well be future staffers
          in the room and as we all know it has been easier to garner WB staff than
          NYLT staff. If folks knew the quality of the NYLT syllabus perhaps they
          might be prompted to volunteer for staff positions. Additionally,
          experienced WB staff could certainly help new NYLT staffers and what better
          material to critique than the material you are going to present.

          Steve

          > If there was a criticism I would say "do not let WB staff use any of their
          course presentations" as part of the TE presentation module. Many of the
          folks in attendance have not gone through Wood Badge. That's my nickel's
          worth."

          Hi Steve,

          Thanks for the input. A question, in light of your "nickel's worth" on not
          having Wood Badge staff use their WB presentations during the Trainer's
          EDGE, do feel the same holds true for NYLT staff?

          ,___

        • Teresa Hall
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 9, 2009
            Interesting. As I noted earlier I have done this twice, once mostly WB staff
            with about 6 NYLT senior youth staffers, then again with the rest of the
            NYLT staff and a smaller group of adults.

            The WB staff session, all were told to pull together a new presentation. I
            felt that presentation development should be part of the training for any
            trainer. But for the most NYLT session, the Scoutmaster asked if I would
            allow them to give their staff presentations if they wanted, as he felt the
            practice would be helpful. Some of them did, some did not - but I think it
            was very beneficial to the ones that did. And never having seen NYLT, I
            enjoyed it!

            Donna, I found your comments spot on about training administration being
            missing in TE. However, it wasn't in TDC either. Our council had a session
            we developed and put on during TDC lunch for this purpose, but it wasn't
            part of the TDC syllabus. We haven't integrated it into TE yet.

            Teresa Hall

            On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 12:42 AM, Steven Powell
            <foxscouter@...>wrote:

            > No, Rick, I don't. I think, if anything, the NYLT presentations would be
            > good to share especially in this group. There may well be future staffers
            > in the room and as we all know it has been easier to garner WB staff than
            > NYLT staff. If folks knew the quality of the NYLT syllabus perhaps they
            > might be prompted to volunteer for staff positions. Additionally,
            > experienced WB staff could certainly help new NYLT staffers and what better
            > material to critique than the material you are going to present.
            >

            > Steve

          • Steven Powell
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 9, 2009
              I would be interested in more explanations for "training administration" as
              both you and Donna are referring to. First, for the sake of discussion,
              there is a great deal on administering the Trainer's Development Conference.
              You need only look in the beginning pages and there's section after section
              on how to "administer" that training. Second, the purpose of TDC is to help
              develop the trainer, not the training. The purpose of Trainer's EDGE is to
              advance the "basics" of trainer development learned at TDC by focusing on
              the actual creation and delivery of information through training in the Boy
              Scouts of America. Third, perhaps the most important elements of the Pack
              Trainer position, for example, is Fast Start training, encouraging new
              leaders to attend Leader Specific training (and providing a district
              training calendar) and maintaining the pack's training records. This is all
              explained in the Cub Scout Leader "position specific" Training.

              So, all this begs the question "why should the focus of developing the
              trainer be diverted to administration of training"? Especially when there
              are additional courses or resources that addresses this and, again, another
              example would be the Training Management Seminar at the Philmont Training
              Center (PTC)? Now, if you are referring to "how to fill out a Tour Permit
              or Advancement form" that is all covered in both CS and BS Leader Specific
              training.

              Seeking to understand before I attempt to be understood.

              Steve

              <foxscouter@... <mailto:foxscouter%40lpbroadband.net> >wrote:

              > No, Rick, I don't. I think, if anything, the NYLT presentations would be
              > good to share especially in this group. There may well be future staffers
              > in the room and as we all know it has been easier to garner WB staff than
              > NYLT staff. If folks knew the quality of the NYLT syllabus perhaps they
              > might be prompted to volunteer for staff positions. Additionally,
              > experienced WB staff could certainly help new NYLT staffers and what
              better
              > material to critique than the material you are going to present.
              >

              > Steve
              >

              > From: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com <mailto:scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com>
              > > If there was a criticism I would say "do not let WB staff use any of
              > their
              > course presentations" as part of the TE presentation module. Many of the
              > folks in attendance have not gone through Wood Badge. That's my nickel's
              > worth."
              >
              > Hi Steve,
              >
              > Thanks for the input. A question, in light of your "nickel's worth" on not
              > having Wood Badge staff use their WB presentations during the Trainer's
              > EDGE, do feel the same holds true for NYLT staff?
              >
              > ,___

            • Teresa Hall
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 9, 2009
                Steven,where we were coming from was that if this participant was going to
                be a trainer, they needed to be introduced to a Training Attendance Report,
                for example, and the procedures our Council uses for getting permission to
                offer an event, getting the training event on the calendar, budget approved
                and closed out, and so forth. What training opportunities require Council
                approval, and what does the District have the authority to offer?

                Perhaps you give out the TDC syllabus to the participants - we did not. So
                the information in the beginning on putting on a TDC was neither accessible
                them, nor really what we had in mind. Some of it was in the District
                Training Committee Manual, but many of these folks were not on that
                committee nor did they aspire to be.

                I completely agree that TDC focused on developing the trainer, not the
                training. But where exactly was person who took TDC to enhance their
                ability to offer, for example, Chartered Organization Rep training, going to
                find out the policies and procedures that were needed to do what they wanted
                to do? They left knowing how to do a good job presenting the material, I
                hope, but they still could not correctly implement the event. What was
                happening with us was that almost everyone picked up the phone and asked to
                get this information taught to them one-on-one.

                We found it to be a very helpful addition. Even trainers who only expected
                to be part of a larger staff said they appreciated understanding how traning
                was supposed to be administered.

                Your mileage may vary! As an alternative we considered offering something
                like Course Director's Training at University of Scouting, but felt like too
                many of the people who would want to take it would actually be teaching or
                involved in UofS administration activities at any given time.

                Teresa Hall