Re: [Scouter_T] Trainer's E.D.G.E.

  • doc marshall
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 9 7:13 PM
      Rick - A great course, definitely worth the time and effort.Keep in mind that this was designed as an advanced course, meant to follow Trainer Development Conference. While TDC is a basic course designed to give the presenter some excellent tools to use in presentations, the Trainers EDGE is definitely an advanced course designed to hone those presentation skills. And, yes, the folks in my council are definitely attending and profiting from the course.

      Yorus in Scouting and Service,
      Doc Marshall

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 9 7:16 PM
        Richard,

        I have staffed the first Trainer's EDGE in our council and I agree with most of Teresa's comments. The course does move right along.

        Pre-course communication is required with the participants in the form of a letter from the CD.

        If participants have taken Train the Trainer previously, most commented that their was a lack of depth and detail regarding presentation styles or technique that are presented in painful detail in TtT.

        The one other thing that is critical is that you close registration out far enough in advance to allow for preparation of? participant presentations.? A whole last module deals with participant presentations that were prepared prior to arrival.? So, participants need lead time to do their "homework."

        Needless to say, there can be no walk-ins.

        Dave Gottshall
        Boston Minuteman Council

        _,_._,___

      • bljohnson95901@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 9 7:47 PM
          I attended the first one our council put on. The  trainers included 2 of the ones who were in Philmont last fall participating in creating the final version. We had most of our NYLT staff there and some of the WB staff. I think the WB group had their eyes opened by the presentations from the youth staff. I heard nothing negative and a lot positive. We did the training late in the staff development so the presentations that were supposed to be part of the staff development course presentations were more i mpromtu than we had planned to avoid redundency.

          We're hearing this will replace TDC in the future, but if that's the case, you would need to keep the WB/NYLT group separate.

          Bruce Johnson

          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 9 8:39 PM
            It sounds like Trainers Development Training should still be offered for new
            trainers and the Trainer's EDGE is for advanced trainers. I thought
            Trainers Edge was replacing Trainer Development but I guess not since the
            basics are not being covered in Edge. The only thing I see that was missing
            was how to be a Pack or Troop Trainer specifically; i.e. How to put together
            a training book for your Pack/Troop, doing paperwork, required courses for
            new leaders, etc. They have the new breakout with Cub Leader Specific
            Training for Pack Trainers but because of low attendance, they keep
            combining them into Committee breakout section! Nothing for Troop Trainers
            unfortunately.

            Donna F. Williams

            Gulf Ridge Trainer

            <http://quartermasterstore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Co
            de=PC-T6&Category_Code=WB-6-Bear> Bear Patch"Ma Ma Bear".... SR 953

            11315 McMullen Loop

            Riverview, FL 33569

            williamsdfw@...

            813-671-4173

          • Steven Powell
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 9 9:58 PM
              Rick, et al

              Since Doc Marshall and I are in the same council (Longs Peak) I want to echo
              his response. We had a very large group which is typical for a "new"
              training. As the Wood Badge Course Director I can tell you it was
              beneficial for our staff and myself included. The entire WB staff attended
              as did most of the NYLT folks and we had quite a few folks from surrounding
              councils (WB folks primarily) attend as well. All the Course Evals were
              very informative and helpful.and POSITIVE! The training was put on by a
              group of competent trainers. It was fun and fast moving.

              If there was a criticism I would say "do not let WB staff use any of their
              course presentations" as part of the TE presentation module. Many of the
              folks in attendance have not gone through Wood Badge. That's my nickel's
              worth.

              Steve

              CD, WE5-62-09

              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 9 10:14 PM
                > If there was a criticism I would say "do not let WB staff use any of their course presentations" as part of the TE presentation module. Many of the folks in attendance have not gone through Wood Badge. That's my nickel's worth."

                Hi Steve,

                Thanks for the input. A question, in light of your "nickel's worth" on not having Wood Badge staff use their WB presentations during the Trainer's EDGE, do feel the same holds true for NYLT staff?

                This is a critical question because unlike adult Wood Badge staff who often have more experience as trainers, NYLT staff are more likely to be new to making presentation in front of a group. Then there is the social dynamics of teenagers making presentations to teenage participants who could be older than the staff member. Because of these aspects unique to NYLT staff development, I would hope your advice for the NYLT staff would be different. I look forward to your thoughts.

                Yours Truly in Scouting,
                Rick
              • Steven Powell
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 9 10:42 PM
                  No, Rick, I don't. I think, if anything, the NYLT presentations would be
                  good to share especially in this group. There may well be future staffers
                  in the room and as we all know it has been easier to garner WB staff than
                  NYLT staff. If folks knew the quality of the NYLT syllabus perhaps they
                  might be prompted to volunteer for staff positions. Additionally,
                  experienced WB staff could certainly help new NYLT staffers and what better
                  material to critique than the material you are going to present.

                  Steve

                  > If there was a criticism I would say "do not let WB staff use any of their
                  course presentations" as part of the TE presentation module. Many of the
                  folks in attendance have not gone through Wood Badge. That's my nickel's
                  worth."

                  Hi Steve,

                  Thanks for the input. A question, in light of your "nickel's worth" on not
                  having Wood Badge staff use their WB presentations during the Trainer's
                  EDGE, do feel the same holds true for NYLT staff?

                  ,___

                • Teresa Hall
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 9 10:56 PM
                    Interesting. As I noted earlier I have done this twice, once mostly WB staff
                    with about 6 NYLT senior youth staffers, then again with the rest of the
                    NYLT staff and a smaller group of adults.

                    The WB staff session, all were told to pull together a new presentation. I
                    felt that presentation development should be part of the training for any
                    trainer. But for the most NYLT session, the Scoutmaster asked if I would
                    allow them to give their staff presentations if they wanted, as he felt the
                    practice would be helpful. Some of them did, some did not - but I think it
                    was very beneficial to the ones that did. And never having seen NYLT, I
                    enjoyed it!

                    Donna, I found your comments spot on about training administration being
                    missing in TE. However, it wasn't in TDC either. Our council had a session
                    we developed and put on during TDC lunch for this purpose, but it wasn't
                    part of the TDC syllabus. We haven't integrated it into TE yet.

                    Teresa Hall

                    On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 12:42 AM, Steven Powell
                    <foxscouter@...>wrote:

                    > No, Rick, I don't. I think, if anything, the NYLT presentations would be
                    > good to share especially in this group. There may well be future staffers
                    > in the room and as we all know it has been easier to garner WB staff than
                    > NYLT staff. If folks knew the quality of the NYLT syllabus perhaps they
                    > might be prompted to volunteer for staff positions. Additionally,
                    > experienced WB staff could certainly help new NYLT staffers and what better
                    > material to critique than the material you are going to present.
                    >

                    > Steve

                  • Steven Powell
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 9 11:25 PM
                      I would be interested in more explanations for "training administration" as
                      both you and Donna are referring to. First, for the sake of discussion,
                      there is a great deal on administering the Trainer's Development Conference.
                      You need only look in the beginning pages and there's section after section
                      on how to "administer" that training. Second, the purpose of TDC is to help
                      develop the trainer, not the training. The purpose of Trainer's EDGE is to
                      advance the "basics" of trainer development learned at TDC by focusing on
                      the actual creation and delivery of information through training in the Boy
                      Scouts of America. Third, perhaps the most important elements of the Pack
                      Trainer position, for example, is Fast Start training, encouraging new
                      leaders to attend Leader Specific training (and providing a district
                      training calendar) and maintaining the pack's training records. This is all
                      explained in the Cub Scout Leader "position specific" Training.

                      So, all this begs the question "why should the focus of developing the
                      trainer be diverted to administration of training"? Especially when there
                      are additional courses or resources that addresses this and, again, another
                      example would be the Training Management Seminar at the Philmont Training
                      Center (PTC)? Now, if you are referring to "how to fill out a Tour Permit
                      or Advancement form" that is all covered in both CS and BS Leader Specific
                      training.

                      Seeking to understand before I attempt to be understood.

                      Steve

                      <foxscouter@... <mailto:foxscouter%40lpbroadband.net> >wrote:

                      > No, Rick, I don't. I think, if anything, the NYLT presentations would be
                      > good to share especially in this group. There may well be future staffers
                      > in the room and as we all know it has been easier to garner WB staff than
                      > NYLT staff. If folks knew the quality of the NYLT syllabus perhaps they
                      > might be prompted to volunteer for staff positions. Additionally,
                      > experienced WB staff could certainly help new NYLT staffers and what
                      better
                      > material to critique than the material you are going to present.
                      >

                      > Steve
                      >

                      > From: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com <mailto:scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com>
                      > > If there was a criticism I would say "do not let WB staff use any of
                      > their
                      > course presentations" as part of the TE presentation module. Many of the
                      > folks in attendance have not gone through Wood Badge. That's my nickel's
                      > worth."
                      >
                      > Hi Steve,
                      >
                      > Thanks for the input. A question, in light of your "nickel's worth" on not
                      > having Wood Badge staff use their WB presentations during the Trainer's
                      > EDGE, do feel the same holds true for NYLT staff?
                      >
                      > ,___

                    • Teresa Hall
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 9 11:48 PM
                        Steven,where we were coming from was that if this participant was going to
                        be a trainer, they needed to be introduced to a Training Attendance Report,
                        for example, and the procedures our Council uses for getting permission to
                        offer an event, getting the training event on the calendar, budget approved
                        and closed out, and so forth. What training opportunities require Council
                        approval, and what does the District have the authority to offer?

                        Perhaps you give out the TDC syllabus to the participants - we did not. So
                        the information in the beginning on putting on a TDC was neither accessible
                        them, nor really what we had in mind. Some of it was in the District
                        Training Committee Manual, but many of these folks were not on that
                        committee nor did they aspire to be.

                        I completely agree that TDC focused on developing the trainer, not the
                        training. But where exactly was person who took TDC to enhance their
                        ability to offer, for example, Chartered Organization Rep training, going to
                        find out the policies and procedures that were needed to do what they wanted
                        to do? They left knowing how to do a good job presenting the material, I
                        hope, but they still could not correctly implement the event. What was
                        happening with us was that almost everyone picked up the phone and asked to
                        get this information taught to them one-on-one.

                        We found it to be a very helpful addition. Even trainers who only expected
                        to be part of a larger staff said they appreciated understanding how traning
                        was supposed to be administered.

                        Your mileage may vary! As an alternative we considered offering something
                        like Course Director's Training at University of Scouting, but felt like too
                        many of the people who would want to take it would actually be teaching or
                        involved in UofS administration activities at any given time.

                        Teresa Hall