Re: [Scouter_T] Trainer's E.D.G.E.

  • Teresa Hall
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 9, 2009
      I've led two Trainer's EDGE courses in our council so far, one scheduled at
      the convenience of a Wood Badge staff and the second two weeks ago for our
      July NYLT staff. In both cases, we invited others from outside the staff to
      bring energy and a different viewpoint.

      In both cases the course was well received. The mix of adults and youth was
      great - I think it really opened the eyes of many of the adults to how
      talented our youth can be, how well they can train, and even how fun they
      are. Personally I was astonished to see that my shy son can command an
      audience. I had heard this from the NYLT adults, but never before seen it.

      To the adults, the course was much faster-paced than Trainer's Development
      Conference. The instructional sessions are fewer, and there is a larger
      percentage of interaction time to "butt in seat" time.

      To the youth, they felt like it was too MUCH instruction and not enough time
      for games and fun. We did not do the lunchtime scavenger hunt either time,
      for different reasons that don't really matter here, but perhaps that would
      have helped them some.

      The ad hoc presentation in Module 2 caused some initial trauma but in the
      introduction I noted how weeklong trainings never went exactly as planned,
      and we had to be able to think quickly on our feet. I also used specific
      instructions during the introduction section about how many points to cover
      about their introductions. Always, people start adding and adding. I used
      that as a teaching example of how a minute here and a minute there over the
      course of the day added up to something that could wreck a schedule and keep
      participants from getting enough/any sleep.

      I think the best part of the course is that the participants actually
      present rather than just listen. Not only is it facinating to hear these, my
      participants - especially the youth - really paid attention to and follow up
      on their feedback.

      Okay, that's my perspective. What have others seen/done?

      Teresa Hall
      SR-889 SM
      Vulcan District Cub Training Coordinator
      Greater AL Council

      On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 7:26 PM, Richard C. Pushies <rick@...> wrote:

      > Hi Trainers,
      >
      > http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/26-242.pdf
      >
      > Does anyone out there have experience with the new Trainer's E.D.G.E.?
      >
      > How do you like it? Is it well received by participants? Are the NYLT and
      > Wood Badge staff members actually taking the course?
      >
      > A good topic for discussion amongst trainers.
      >
      > Yours Truly in Scouting,
      > Rick

    • doc marshall
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 9, 2009
        Rick - A great course, definitely worth the time and effort.Keep in mind that this was designed as an advanced course, meant to follow Trainer Development Conference. While TDC is a basic course designed to give the presenter some excellent tools to use in presentations, the Trainers EDGE is definitely an advanced course designed to hone those presentation skills. And, yes, the folks in my council are definitely attending and profiting from the course.

        Yorus in Scouting and Service,
        Doc Marshall

      • gottshalld@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 9, 2009
          Richard,

          I have staffed the first Trainer's EDGE in our council and I agree with most of Teresa's comments. The course does move right along.

          Pre-course communication is required with the participants in the form of a letter from the CD.

          If participants have taken Train the Trainer previously, most commented that their was a lack of depth and detail regarding presentation styles or technique that are presented in painful detail in TtT.

          The one other thing that is critical is that you close registration out far enough in advance to allow for preparation of? participant presentations.? A whole last module deals with participant presentations that were prepared prior to arrival.? So, participants need lead time to do their "homework."

          Needless to say, there can be no walk-ins.

          Dave Gottshall
          Boston Minuteman Council

          _,_._,___

        • bljohnson95901@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 9, 2009
            I attended the first one our council put on. The  trainers included 2 of the ones who were in Philmont last fall participating in creating the final version. We had most of our NYLT staff there and some of the WB staff. I think the WB group had their eyes opened by the presentations from the youth staff. I heard nothing negative and a lot positive. We did the training late in the staff development so the presentations that were supposed to be part of the staff development course presentations were more i mpromtu than we had planned to avoid redundency.

            We're hearing this will replace TDC in the future, but if that's the case, you would need to keep the WB/NYLT group separate.

            Bruce Johnson

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 9, 2009
              It sounds like Trainers Development Training should still be offered for new
              trainers and the Trainer's EDGE is for advanced trainers. I thought
              Trainers Edge was replacing Trainer Development but I guess not since the
              basics are not being covered in Edge. The only thing I see that was missing
              was how to be a Pack or Troop Trainer specifically; i.e. How to put together
              a training book for your Pack/Troop, doing paperwork, required courses for
              new leaders, etc. They have the new breakout with Cub Leader Specific
              Training for Pack Trainers but because of low attendance, they keep
              combining them into Committee breakout section! Nothing for Troop Trainers
              unfortunately.

              Donna F. Williams

              Gulf Ridge Trainer

              <http://quartermasterstore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Co
              de=PC-T6&Category_Code=WB-6-Bear> Bear Patch"Ma Ma Bear".... SR 953

              11315 McMullen Loop

              Riverview, FL 33569

              williamsdfw@...

              813-671-4173

            • Steven Powell
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 9, 2009
                Rick, et al

                Since Doc Marshall and I are in the same council (Longs Peak) I want to echo
                his response. We had a very large group which is typical for a "new"
                training. As the Wood Badge Course Director I can tell you it was
                beneficial for our staff and myself included. The entire WB staff attended
                as did most of the NYLT folks and we had quite a few folks from surrounding
                councils (WB folks primarily) attend as well. All the Course Evals were
                very informative and helpful.and POSITIVE! The training was put on by a
                group of competent trainers. It was fun and fast moving.

                If there was a criticism I would say "do not let WB staff use any of their
                course presentations" as part of the TE presentation module. Many of the
                folks in attendance have not gone through Wood Badge. That's my nickel's
                worth.

                Steve

                CD, WE5-62-09

                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 9, 2009
                  > If there was a criticism I would say "do not let WB staff use any of their course presentations" as part of the TE presentation module. Many of the folks in attendance have not gone through Wood Badge. That's my nickel's worth."

                  Hi Steve,

                  Thanks for the input. A question, in light of your "nickel's worth" on not having Wood Badge staff use their WB presentations during the Trainer's EDGE, do feel the same holds true for NYLT staff?

                  This is a critical question because unlike adult Wood Badge staff who often have more experience as trainers, NYLT staff are more likely to be new to making presentation in front of a group. Then there is the social dynamics of teenagers making presentations to teenage participants who could be older than the staff member. Because of these aspects unique to NYLT staff development, I would hope your advice for the NYLT staff would be different. I look forward to your thoughts.

                  Yours Truly in Scouting,
                  Rick
                • Steven Powell
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 9, 2009
                    No, Rick, I don't. I think, if anything, the NYLT presentations would be
                    good to share especially in this group. There may well be future staffers
                    in the room and as we all know it has been easier to garner WB staff than
                    NYLT staff. If folks knew the quality of the NYLT syllabus perhaps they
                    might be prompted to volunteer for staff positions. Additionally,
                    experienced WB staff could certainly help new NYLT staffers and what better
                    material to critique than the material you are going to present.

                    Steve

                    > If there was a criticism I would say "do not let WB staff use any of their
                    course presentations" as part of the TE presentation module. Many of the
                    folks in attendance have not gone through Wood Badge. That's my nickel's
                    worth."

                    Hi Steve,

                    Thanks for the input. A question, in light of your "nickel's worth" on not
                    having Wood Badge staff use their WB presentations during the Trainer's
                    EDGE, do feel the same holds true for NYLT staff?

                    ,___

                  • Teresa Hall
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 9, 2009
                      Interesting. As I noted earlier I have done this twice, once mostly WB staff
                      with about 6 NYLT senior youth staffers, then again with the rest of the
                      NYLT staff and a smaller group of adults.

                      The WB staff session, all were told to pull together a new presentation. I
                      felt that presentation development should be part of the training for any
                      trainer. But for the most NYLT session, the Scoutmaster asked if I would
                      allow them to give their staff presentations if they wanted, as he felt the
                      practice would be helpful. Some of them did, some did not - but I think it
                      was very beneficial to the ones that did. And never having seen NYLT, I
                      enjoyed it!

                      Donna, I found your comments spot on about training administration being
                      missing in TE. However, it wasn't in TDC either. Our council had a session
                      we developed and put on during TDC lunch for this purpose, but it wasn't
                      part of the TDC syllabus. We haven't integrated it into TE yet.

                      Teresa Hall

                      On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 12:42 AM, Steven Powell
                      <foxscouter@...>wrote:

                      > No, Rick, I don't. I think, if anything, the NYLT presentations would be
                      > good to share especially in this group. There may well be future staffers
                      > in the room and as we all know it has been easier to garner WB staff than
                      > NYLT staff. If folks knew the quality of the NYLT syllabus perhaps they
                      > might be prompted to volunteer for staff positions. Additionally,
                      > experienced WB staff could certainly help new NYLT staffers and what better
                      > material to critique than the material you are going to present.
                      >

                      > Steve

                    • Steven Powell
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 9, 2009
                        I would be interested in more explanations for "training administration" as
                        both you and Donna are referring to. First, for the sake of discussion,
                        there is a great deal on administering the Trainer's Development Conference.
                        You need only look in the beginning pages and there's section after section
                        on how to "administer" that training. Second, the purpose of TDC is to help
                        develop the trainer, not the training. The purpose of Trainer's EDGE is to
                        advance the "basics" of trainer development learned at TDC by focusing on
                        the actual creation and delivery of information through training in the Boy
                        Scouts of America. Third, perhaps the most important elements of the Pack
                        Trainer position, for example, is Fast Start training, encouraging new
                        leaders to attend Leader Specific training (and providing a district
                        training calendar) and maintaining the pack's training records. This is all
                        explained in the Cub Scout Leader "position specific" Training.

                        So, all this begs the question "why should the focus of developing the
                        trainer be diverted to administration of training"? Especially when there
                        are additional courses or resources that addresses this and, again, another
                        example would be the Training Management Seminar at the Philmont Training
                        Center (PTC)? Now, if you are referring to "how to fill out a Tour Permit
                        or Advancement form" that is all covered in both CS and BS Leader Specific
                        training.

                        Seeking to understand before I attempt to be understood.

                        Steve

                        <foxscouter@... <mailto:foxscouter%40lpbroadband.net> >wrote:

                        > No, Rick, I don't. I think, if anything, the NYLT presentations would be
                        > good to share especially in this group. There may well be future staffers
                        > in the room and as we all know it has been easier to garner WB staff than
                        > NYLT staff. If folks knew the quality of the NYLT syllabus perhaps they
                        > might be prompted to volunteer for staff positions. Additionally,
                        > experienced WB staff could certainly help new NYLT staffers and what
                        better
                        > material to critique than the material you are going to present.
                        >

                        > Steve
                        >

                        > From: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com <mailto:scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com>
                        > > If there was a criticism I would say "do not let WB staff use any of
                        > their
                        > course presentations" as part of the TE presentation module. Many of the
                        > folks in attendance have not gone through Wood Badge. That's my nickel's
                        > worth."
                        >
                        > Hi Steve,
                        >
                        > Thanks for the input. A question, in light of your "nickel's worth" on not
                        > having Wood Badge staff use their WB presentations during the Trainer's
                        > EDGE, do feel the same holds true for NYLT staff?
                        >
                        > ,___

                      • Teresa Hall
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 9, 2009
                          Steven,where we were coming from was that if this participant was going to
                          be a trainer, they needed to be introduced to a Training Attendance Report,
                          for example, and the procedures our Council uses for getting permission to
                          offer an event, getting the training event on the calendar, budget approved
                          and closed out, and so forth. What training opportunities require Council
                          approval, and what does the District have the authority to offer?

                          Perhaps you give out the TDC syllabus to the participants - we did not. So
                          the information in the beginning on putting on a TDC was neither accessible
                          them, nor really what we had in mind. Some of it was in the District
                          Training Committee Manual, but many of these folks were not on that
                          committee nor did they aspire to be.

                          I completely agree that TDC focused on developing the trainer, not the
                          training. But where exactly was person who took TDC to enhance their
                          ability to offer, for example, Chartered Organization Rep training, going to
                          find out the policies and procedures that were needed to do what they wanted
                          to do? They left knowing how to do a good job presenting the material, I
                          hope, but they still could not correctly implement the event. What was
                          happening with us was that almost everyone picked up the phone and asked to
                          get this information taught to them one-on-one.

                          We found it to be a very helpful addition. Even trainers who only expected
                          to be part of a larger staff said they appreciated understanding how traning
                          was supposed to be administered.

                          Your mileage may vary! As an alternative we considered offering something
                          like Course Director's Training at University of Scouting, but felt like too
                          many of the people who would want to take it would actually be teaching or
                          involved in UofS administration activities at any given time.

                          Teresa Hall