Re: The legacy of Scouting is leadership

  • Richard C. Pushies
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 30, 2009
      Hi Dave,

      Thanks for sharing your perspective. I do not understand your perspective, but I appreciate that you took the time to share.

      You wrote, "Real leadership dies back in 1972." What? I do not understand this comment, please explain. What do you characterize as "real leadership" in this statrment? Do we now have unreal leadership in Scouting?

      You wrote, "Leadership was not a method of Scouting prior to 1972, with the advent of the Leadership Corps." Yet Lord Baden-Powell is quoted as saying "Every boy deserves a trained leader." Leaders provide leadership in my book. The Boy Scouts of America included leadership as one of the 8 methods of Scouting for a reason. You seem to believe that was a mistake, is that correct?

      Teaching effective leadership skills to Scouts increases their ability to be good leaders.

      You wrote, "Patrols elected leaders.?" It is my understanding that the election of patrol leaders still takes place at the troop level. When I first became a Scoutmaster in 1980 my Scouts elected patrol leaders and they are electing patrol leaders in my grandson's troop today. What is your point?

      You wrote, "Patrol members learned leadership by direct observation and participation as part of an engaged patrol member, . . ." Observing the example of a good patrol leader is still a valid way to learn. But, what if the current patrol leader is a terrible leader? Does the observed poor performance of a patrol leader then become the standard of leadership for all the patrol members? Teaching first aid in this manner would not be very effective, would it?

      ". . ., not by attending some management class with contrived examples." Your definition of managment and mine must differ. I was taught that you manage things and lead people. Please share your definition of the terms management and leadership because I do not understand your position. "Contrived examples" is an interesting choice of words. Please provide an explanation of what you mean.

      You wrote,"I can only hope that patrol management is a short-lived legacy." Well, it appears that the Boy Scouts of America sees things differently than you as they have defined leadership as the legacy of Scouting. I agree with the Boy Scouts of America and do not understand your perspective at all. I hope the legacy of leadership in Scouting endures for another hundred years!

      My favorite quotation on leadership comes from Napolean and he said, "A leaders is a dealer in hope." What say you?

      Yours Truly in Scouting,
      Rick Pushies