Training Umbrella

  • Jamie Niss Dunn
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 24, 2009
      New doc on National web site: http://www.scouting.org/filestore/training/pdf/UmbrellaTrainingJan2009.pdf

      What makes a trained leader: http://www.scouting.org/sitecore/content/Home/BoyScouts/Adults/Training/Trained%20Leader.aspx

      New training page: http://www.scouting.org/Training/Adult.aspx

      Jamie Niss Dunn
      Pack Trainer, Pack 512
      Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
      Troop Committee, Troop 509
      Ham Lake, MN
      Cub Scout Training Coordinator
      Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
      Three Rivers District

    • Richard C. Pushies
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 24, 2009
        Hi Jamie,

        Thanks for the update. Good work!

        Rick
      • Ronald Parks
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 24, 2009
          I note that the course Health and Safety is not listed in the "umbrella."
          Anyone know the official status of it? Our Council says it is required to
          receive a Tour Permit, however there is no provision for entering that
          course on the new Tour Permit.

          TIA!

          YiS,

          Ron Parks

          Victory District Training Chair

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 25, 2009
            that may be a council requirement, it's not national.  Hazardous Weather is required.

            Sandy OWL

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 25, 2009
              Interesting little chart. I looked through it and it appears that the person or committee responsible for the chart isn't terribly familiar with Venturing, but that is no surprise. I also notice that Varsity Scouting is completely absent which is disappointing, although not surprising. Varsity Scouting is listed on the 2nd link, but is absent again on the 3rd link.

              Under "Youth Training Opportunities" in the Venturing (right) column the Venturing Leadership Skills Course (VLSC) is truncated to say "Leadership Skills." Not exactly a very descriptive title. They should have written out the name of the course and then offered the abbreviation VLSC just like they did with NYLT and NAYLT in the Boy Scouting column.

              The video "Youth Protection: Personal Safety Awareness" should be listed for youth protection in the "Youth Training" section instead of "Youth Protection Training (OLC)" which is the course for adults.

              "Crew Officers Training" is vague at best...

              I realize a comprehensive list is probably impossible and I'm not sure we would want it anyway, but "Den Chief Training (OLC)" could also be listed for Venturers as the role of Den Chief is one of the positions of leadership a Venturer can use on the Eagle Scout Application.

              Gotta give credit where credit is due though, at least they got the term "VENTURING" correct!

              Ryan
              Ore-Ida Council
              Crew 119 Advisor
              District Venturing and VS Trainer
              Council Venturing Committee

              > New doc on National web site: http://www.scouting.org/filestore/training/pdf/UmbrellaTrainingJan2009.pdf
              >
              > What makes a trained leader: http://www.scouting.org/sitecore/content/Home/BoyScouts/Adults/Training/Trained%20Leader.aspx
              >
              > New training page: http://www.scouting.org/Training/Adult.aspx
              >

              > Jamie Niss Dunn
              > Pack Trainer, Pack 512
              > Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
              > Troop Committee, Troop 509
              > Ham Lake, MN
              > Cub Scout Training Coordinator
              > Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
              > Three Rivers District

            • Richard C. Pushies
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 25, 2009
                I have a couple more observations about the Umbrella Chart beyone what Ryan just shared.

                The individual or committee that put together this Umbrella Chart either does not know the topic training in Scouting very well or this is a new re-organization of training in Scouting and just not labeled as such. I expect it is the former and not the later that prevails.

                The Troop Committee Challenge (OLC) is listed under the umbrella of supplemental training it is NOT a supplemental training. It is basic training course for members of a troop committee. Read the training committee guide!

                Accordting to the Leadership Training Committee Guide, Plans Procedures Materials, No. 34169 published 2008 there are four levels of training in Scouting.

                1. Orientation/Fast Start Training
                2. Basic Training.
                3. Supplemental Training
                4. Advanced Training

                This Umbrella Chart does not even list Orientation/Fast Start Training as a seperate level of training. No big deal to me I see Fast Start as part of the Basic Training in the BSA. Fast Start is seen as part of the basic training by most Scouters.

                However not listing Advanced Training opportunities as a level of training shows an ignorance of the traditional role of Wood Badge. According to this chart Wood Badge is on the same level as Cub Scout Cub Casts or attending a roundtable meeting. The person who put Wood Badge under supplemental training has obviously never attended Wood Badge!

                The Trainer Development Conference has been replaced by the Trainer's Edge. The Trainer's EDGE should also be listed under Youth Training Oportunities as it is required for both youth and adult serving on NYLT staff.

                Wood Badge and the Philmont Leadership Challenge for adults are NOT supplemental training, they are Advanced Leadership Training courses. National Youth Leadership Training (NYLT) and the National Advanced Leadership Experience (NAYLE) are NOT supplemental training they are Advanced Leadership Training courses for youth.

                Upon closer scrutiny this chart has many more errors than we normally expect in a document from National. Maybe the professionals working on these things should ask a few members of the Scouter_T Yahoo group to proof read their work before it is published! Would that be cute!

                Oh heck, I just decided to do the chart the way I think it should have been done. The new re-worked cart is in the Files section as Training_Umbrella_062009. In addition to cleaning up the document I also made it more inline with the BSA Brand Identity guidelines. The original document just said "Scouting" and just suggested this was Boy Scouts of America type Scouting. Let me know if you see any mistakes in my version.

                Now don't go telling anyone I did this, I might be asked to do more!

                Yours Truly in Scouting,
                Rick Pushies
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 6, 2009
                  I was curious as to why SSD and SA are not listed as supplemental trainings and now even better.......they can add the new aquatics courses.......Paddle Craft and Water Rescue

                  connie

                  --- On Wed, 6/24/09, Jamie Niss Dunn <JNDunnMN@...> wrote:

                  New doc on National web site: http://www.scouting.org/filestore/training/pdf/UmbrellaTrainingJan2009.pdf

                • Kristen Swank
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 6, 2009
                    Something that puzzles me about the "Training Umbrella" is when you look at the Training for Youth
                    section it says Den Chief Training is on the OLC not just the DC Fast Start. Does this mean that the
                    in person Den Chief training we all do is no longer a valid course?

                    Just wondering...
                    Kris Swank
                    OT District Training Chair
                    East Texas Area Council