RE: [Scouter_T] Re: "Trained"

  • Corbin Sarchet
    Message 1 of 40 , Jun 21, 2009
      Hi guys.

      This gets to be an important issue.

      Coming down like a freight train is the requirement for adult leaders to be
      trained in their positions to be able to recharter in their positions.
      Apparently, my Council, CFC, is going to beta test the concept and there are
      a lot of unanswered questions.

      Here is the overview as currently exists in BSA.

      To be trained in a position, all adult leaders must complete the following
      four courses. Webelos Den Leaders and SM/ASM's have one additional.

      Youth Protection.

      Fast Start for the Position. (Six different ones for Cub Scouts, one for
      BS, etc).

      This is Scouting or the older New Leader Essentials.

      Position Specific Basic Training, or one of the older programs.

      The first three can be taken now on line.

      Position Specific is available on line for COR, Troop Committee Members.
      Otherwise. they are classroom only.

      Videos are available for youth protection to be taken in a classroom
      environment. However, it must be the current one, and there is a new out
      this year, 2009.

      Only youth protection is required to be taken every year.

      A Cub Scout leader need only retake the particular breakout course for their
      new position is they had the new edition of CS Specifics.

      Webelos Den Leaders and AS/ASM's must also taken the outdoor leaderskills
      weekend course. It is permissible to combine the two into one course, and
      thus get the WDL trained for when he moves into a troop.

      Now, what can you do about it?

      If you go to the CS Specifics video, and open it up and then go to handouts,
      you will find two to use. One is the old reliable Unit Training Inventory
      form and then other is a new one, Training Status Report, used to report
      only basic training.

      Both are based on the first point of the Scout law---that is a Scout is
      Trustworthy.

      No documentation, cards, blood oaths, etc, are required. Best if you know
      the date, etc., but not necessary. Since your Council training registrar
      may not be familiar with former basic courses, if you put down Scoutmaster
      Fundamentals, or one of the earlier versions, be sure to indicate it
      included outdoor training skills.

      The older, UTI form, is used for everything else.

      How do you go about it?

      First, check the printed unit rosters. If it has a Y under the name of the
      leader, that person is considered fully trained, which means they have
      credit for all four, or five, of the required courses. If it is a N, then
      they are missing something.

      Some Councils have good complete records of past training, some don't. but
      your Council Training registrar can pull for you (ask through your DE) the
      individual records of folks in you units. My advice is, however, assume the
      worse, and have everyone in your unit do the catch up forms described above.

      If you are not already doing so in your unit:

      Every Cub Pack needs a pack trainer and every Boy Scout, Venture , Varsity,
      Explorer committee needs to have a Unit Training Committee Chairman to keep
      track of the training requirements.

      I recommend each Individual get one of those packets of plastic trading or
      business card holders to keep all of their training cards in .

      Check often on myscouting.org to see if they are showing you current in the
      online courses.

      We urge our leaders to take all on-line courses in their area, as well in
      the next program up.

      There are additional on-line courses from the bsa home page under the
      e-learning tab which are not shown when you go directly to myscouting.org.

      Hope this helps.

      Corb Sarchet

    • Todd
      Message 40 of 40 , Jun 23, 2009
        Hi John,

        As others have said there is a DVD for Fast Start. If you want a quick look and can not find it, try YouTube.com. Search on "Training the Chartered Organization."

        Our district also has a PowerPoint presentation of the outline you mention. It takes about 1.5 hours to complete.

        Todd Block