RE: [Scouter_T] Re: "Trained"

  • Whiteley, John F
    Message 1 of 40 , Jun 21, 2009
      A few years ago, when training for Scout leaders changed dramatically, old timers like me were informed that we were "trained but outdated." After getting over my original indignation (after all, I had been around for a couple of decades and knew it all, didn't I?) I began re-taking the training. And, do you know what? Things had changed since my first Scoutmastership Fundamentals or whatever it was called in 1983. And, for the most part, I think it is for the better. Now I have re-taken all the training for Boy Scouts and Venturing, and I am starting on Cub Scouts. I also am signed up for the new Wood Badge this year (mine was in 1985).

      I do think that taking training occasionally helps to keep the program fresh and the enthusiasm up.

      Of course, part of my reason for saying this is that I am now the District Training Chair!

      YiS

      John

      Captain John F. Whiteley, Ed.S.
      Director, Inland Waterways Academy
      Marshall Community and Technical College
      304-697-5616 (office)
      304-697-5611 (Fax)
      304-417-3321 (Huntington Cell)
      304-437-3321 (Cell)
      whiteley@...
      Message 40 of 40 , Jun 23, 2009
        Hi John,

        As others have said there is a DVD for Fast Start. If you want a quick look and can not find it, try YouTube.com. Search on "Training the Chartered Organization."

        Our district also has a PowerPoint presentation of the outline you mention. It takes about 1.5 hours to complete.

        Todd Block