Re: Chemical Fuel Chit question

  • landry11111
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 7 7:25 AM
      I am looking this over carefully as I can and I find it interesting thay say directly:

      "Kerosene, gasoline, or liquefied petroleum fuel lanterns may,..."
      Note "lanterns". No where is it this clear about stoves, although several places it talks about safe handling of liquid fuel in regards to and liquid fueled stoves themselves.
      The policy clearly says lanterns but not stoves, or am I missing it?

      YiS
      Henry

      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Richard C. Pushies" <rick@...> wrote:

      > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Kathryn" <sixinohio@> wrote:
      > >
      > > where can i find the info on this anyone thanks greatly kathryn
      >
      > Hi Kathryn,
      >
      > I have never heard of a "Chemical Fuel Chit" and will be interested in what others share on the topic.
      >
      > For the BSA policy on chemical fuels, go to:
      >
      > http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/HealthandSafety/Resources/policyonchemicalfuels.aspx
      >
      > Yours Truly in Scouting,
      > Rick Pushies

    • Brian Sutilla
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 7 8:02 AM
        Kathryn,

        There is no BSA Chemical Fuel Chit (like Toten or Firem). However, Some Local Councils have developed their own cards and requirements for the earning their "Chemical Fuel Chit."

        The Potawatomi Area Council in Waukesha, WI is one. I know because I earned mine there as a youth. I don't believe I have a copy of the syllabus anymore, or the cards template. But I know there are some on this message system from that council...they might.

        Brian Sutilla
        District Director
        Sioux Council, BSA
        C-7-00 Buffalo

        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Kathryn" <sixinohio@...> wrote:

        > where can i find the info on this anyone thanks greatly kathryn

      • ftooth
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 7 11:36 AM
          The complete quote is:
          "Kerosene, gasoline, or liquefied petroleum fuel lanterns may, when necessary, be used inside permanent buildings or for outdoor lighting."

          Using a stove for lighting doesn't make sense, so that explains why stoves were not mentioned in that sentence. Lanterns are commonly used inside buildings and the policy makes it clear it is OK to do so, with adequate ventilation etc. The rest of the document has plenty of discussion about stoves.

          Frank Toothaker

          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "landry11111" <hlandry@...> wrote:

          > I am looking this over carefully as I can and I find it interesting thay say directly:
          >
          > "Kerosene, gasoline, or liquefied petroleum fuel lanterns may,..."
          > Note "lanterns". No where is it this clear about stoves, although several places it talks about safe handling of liquid fuel in regards to and liquid fueled stoves themselves.
          > The policy clearly says lanterns but not stoves, or am I missing it?
          >
          > YiS
          > Henry
          >

          > > For the BSA policy on chemical fuels, go to:

          http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/HealthandSafety/Resources/policyonchemicalfuels.aspx

          > > Yours Truly in Scouting,
          > > Rick Pushies
        • Kathryn Taylor
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 7 12:54 PM
            Thank you all. I was looking for a customer who needed the cards on
            Saturday. I have since found out that in fact this is a Potawatomi Council
            item and yes they have their own reqs for this. I will get a card on monday
            for my customer. Thanks or all the interesting informaiton. Can always
            count on the list for help : ) Kathryn