Re: [Scouter_T] Chemical Fuel Chit question

  • Ben Ward
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 6, 2009
      There is no such thing as a Chemical Fuel Chit. There is the BSA Policy on Chemical Fuels.

      Yours in Scouting,

      Ben Ward

      Eagle Scout Class 1999
      Heart of Virginia Council # 602

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 7, 2009
        I am looking this over carefully as I can and I find it interesting thay say directly:

        "Kerosene, gasoline, or liquefied petroleum fuel lanterns may,..."
        Note "lanterns". No where is it this clear about stoves, although several places it talks about safe handling of liquid fuel in regards to and liquid fueled stoves themselves.
        The policy clearly says lanterns but not stoves, or am I missing it?

        YiS
        Henry

        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Richard C. Pushies" <rick@...> wrote:

        > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Kathryn" <sixinohio@> wrote:
        > >
        > > where can i find the info on this anyone thanks greatly kathryn
        >
        > Hi Kathryn,
        >
        > I have never heard of a "Chemical Fuel Chit" and will be interested in what others share on the topic.
        >
        > For the BSA policy on chemical fuels, go to:
        >
        > http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/HealthandSafety/Resources/policyonchemicalfuels.aspx
        >
        > Yours Truly in Scouting,
        > Rick Pushies

      • Brian Sutilla
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 7, 2009
          Kathryn,

          There is no BSA Chemical Fuel Chit (like Toten or Firem). However, Some Local Councils have developed their own cards and requirements for the earning their "Chemical Fuel Chit."

          The Potawatomi Area Council in Waukesha, WI is one. I know because I earned mine there as a youth. I don't believe I have a copy of the syllabus anymore, or the cards template. But I know there are some on this message system from that council...they might.

          Brian Sutilla
          District Director
          Sioux Council, BSA
          C-7-00 Buffalo

          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Kathryn" <sixinohio@...> wrote:

          > where can i find the info on this anyone thanks greatly kathryn

        • ftooth
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 7, 2009
            The complete quote is:
            "Kerosene, gasoline, or liquefied petroleum fuel lanterns may, when necessary, be used inside permanent buildings or for outdoor lighting."

            Using a stove for lighting doesn't make sense, so that explains why stoves were not mentioned in that sentence. Lanterns are commonly used inside buildings and the policy makes it clear it is OK to do so, with adequate ventilation etc. The rest of the document has plenty of discussion about stoves.

            Frank Toothaker

            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "landry11111" <hlandry@...> wrote:

            > I am looking this over carefully as I can and I find it interesting thay say directly:
            >
            > "Kerosene, gasoline, or liquefied petroleum fuel lanterns may,..."
            > Note "lanterns". No where is it this clear about stoves, although several places it talks about safe handling of liquid fuel in regards to and liquid fueled stoves themselves.
            > The policy clearly says lanterns but not stoves, or am I missing it?
            >
            > YiS
            > Henry
            >

            > > For the BSA policy on chemical fuels, go to:

            http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/HealthandSafety/Resources/policyonchemicalfuels.aspx

            > > Yours Truly in Scouting,
            > > Rick Pushies
          • Kathryn Taylor
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 7, 2009
              Thank you all. I was looking for a customer who needed the cards on
              Saturday. I have since found out that in fact this is a Potawatomi Council
              item and yes they have their own reqs for this. I will get a card on monday
              for my customer. Thanks or all the interesting informaiton. Can always
              count on the list for help : ) Kathryn