Re: [Scouter_T] Chemical Fuel Chit question

  • Jamie Niss Dunn
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 6, 2009
      Kathryn - the courses I know about regarding Liquid Fuels are all local council creations - there is no national BSA syllabus AFAIK.

      Jamie Niss Dunn
      Pack Trainer, Pack 512
      Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
      Troop Committee, Troop 509
      Ham Lake, MN
      Cub Scout Training Coordinator
      Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
      Three Rivers District

    • Ben Ward
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 6, 2009
        There is no such thing as a Chemical Fuel Chit. There is the BSA Policy on Chemical Fuels.

        Yours in Scouting,

        Ben Ward

        Eagle Scout Class 1999
        Heart of Virginia Council # 602

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 7, 2009
          I am looking this over carefully as I can and I find it interesting thay say directly:

          "Kerosene, gasoline, or liquefied petroleum fuel lanterns may,..."
          Note "lanterns". No where is it this clear about stoves, although several places it talks about safe handling of liquid fuel in regards to and liquid fueled stoves themselves.
          The policy clearly says lanterns but not stoves, or am I missing it?

          YiS
          Henry

          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Richard C. Pushies" <rick@...> wrote:

          > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Kathryn" <sixinohio@> wrote:
          > >
          > > where can i find the info on this anyone thanks greatly kathryn
          >
          > Hi Kathryn,
          >
          > I have never heard of a "Chemical Fuel Chit" and will be interested in what others share on the topic.
          >
          > For the BSA policy on chemical fuels, go to:
          >
          > http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/HealthandSafety/Resources/policyonchemicalfuels.aspx
          >
          > Yours Truly in Scouting,
          > Rick Pushies

        • Brian Sutilla
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 7, 2009
            Kathryn,

            There is no BSA Chemical Fuel Chit (like Toten or Firem). However, Some Local Councils have developed their own cards and requirements for the earning their "Chemical Fuel Chit."

            The Potawatomi Area Council in Waukesha, WI is one. I know because I earned mine there as a youth. I don't believe I have a copy of the syllabus anymore, or the cards template. But I know there are some on this message system from that council...they might.

            Brian Sutilla
            District Director
            Sioux Council, BSA
            C-7-00 Buffalo

            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Kathryn" <sixinohio@...> wrote:

            > where can i find the info on this anyone thanks greatly kathryn

          • ftooth
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 7, 2009
              The complete quote is:
              "Kerosene, gasoline, or liquefied petroleum fuel lanterns may, when necessary, be used inside permanent buildings or for outdoor lighting."

              Using a stove for lighting doesn't make sense, so that explains why stoves were not mentioned in that sentence. Lanterns are commonly used inside buildings and the policy makes it clear it is OK to do so, with adequate ventilation etc. The rest of the document has plenty of discussion about stoves.

              Frank Toothaker

              --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "landry11111" <hlandry@...> wrote:

              > I am looking this over carefully as I can and I find it interesting thay say directly:
              >
              > "Kerosene, gasoline, or liquefied petroleum fuel lanterns may,..."
              > Note "lanterns". No where is it this clear about stoves, although several places it talks about safe handling of liquid fuel in regards to and liquid fueled stoves themselves.
              > The policy clearly says lanterns but not stoves, or am I missing it?
              >
              > YiS
              > Henry
              >

              > > For the BSA policy on chemical fuels, go to:

              http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/HealthandSafety/Resources/policyonchemicalfuels.aspx

              > > Yours Truly in Scouting,
              > > Rick Pushies
            • Kathryn Taylor
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 7, 2009
                Thank you all. I was looking for a customer who needed the cards on
                Saturday. I have since found out that in fact this is a Potawatomi Council
                item and yes they have their own reqs for this. I will get a card on monday
                for my customer. Thanks or all the interesting informaiton. Can always
                count on the list for help : ) Kathryn