Re: [Scouter_T] Fee Increase?

  • gottshalld@aol.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 4, 2009
      I am cross-posting my response to let others know about the increase.

      So in 2002 the fee was $7 and now $15.

      I would say that this is slightly higher that the rate of inflation and well ahead of most families increase in disposable income.

      ... we wonder why they leave ... now we can start wondering why they don't even start.

      Dave Gottshall

      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 4, 2009
        It doesn't seem unreasonable. I have three scouts in the program and I pay
        my fees as well. It's a matter of deciding what's important.

        Ray Scott

        _____

        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 4, 2009
          Ray,

          Transportation is important.? If your car in 2002 cost $12K and in 2009 the same car cost $26K, what choice would you make?? You would look into other options.

          The BSA does not need another barrier to membership, either new or continued.

          Dave Gottshall
        • corinnajones@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 4, 2009
            The issue is really not the leaders' children, but those boys whose parents
            couldn't care less or are on the fence. There are lots of those, and I would
            hate to loose these boys, since they need the program most.
            The leaders who no longer have boys in the program, but used to pitch in for
            those who couldn't afford it might be forced to think twice during these
            tough times - financially and time-wise. Many struggling units in our area
            are run by non-parents, because the parents choose not to step up. These
            leaders are frequently active in their own kids' troops and crews, as well
            as commissioners, RT commissioners, and district sub-committee chairs.
            Please don't tell me they need to do more or do a better job.

            Corinna
          • Ray Scott
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 4, 2009
              Wow. Maybe I can back up and we can possibly chalk my post up to a rookie
              mistake or something. But I certainly don't see how I implied this means
              leaders need to do more.

              I acknowledge that the condition our condition is in varies widely from
              region to region right now, and I admit that didn't take that into
              consideration. I can only speak from my own experience in scouting, and that
              leads me to say and to continue to maintain that it doesn't seem
              unreasonable. It still seems to me a miniscule percentage when compared to
              annual total of all the other costs.

              And thankfully the scale of the increase is not on par with the absurd
              transportation example. If my transportation increased that much I would
              have to walk to scouts for sure.

              Ray

              _____

              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 5, 2009
                C'mon, $5 a year is not a "barrier". What are the other barriers to membership?

                Should membership be free? Scouting is not without cost, so WHO should pay the cost?

                What's the real gripe here, it can't be a lousy 5 bucks?
                Frank Toothaker

                --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, gottshalld@... wrote:

                > The BSA does not need another barrier to membership, either new or continued.
                >
                > Dave Gottshall
              • Brian Sutilla
                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 7, 2009
                  First to all...I have not seen this through my official channels. But that doesn't mean it is coming.

                  Second, Yes in 2003 it went from $7 to $10. But Dave, that was the first increase in the registration fee (not boys' life) since AT LEAST 1993 (and if memory serves it was a lot longer). If you truly want to look at inflation, look at the cost for scouting when it started to now. Not just a small period of time. I am not going to do that, but I am guessing you will find we are still way behind the cumulative inflation rate.

                  Third, How much do parents pay for soccer? Baseball? Football? etc? This is still a HUGE bargain!!! Oh and most of those are only for 6 weeks. We are for a whole year.

                  Fourth, every council has the "if you can't afford it, we will help" clause.

                  Lastly, Every unit should be building registration fees and boys life fees into their unit budget plans. The youth and unit should be fundraising to support that and all of its activities.

                  Ok, off my soap Box.

                  Yours in Scouting,
                  Brian Sutilla

                  --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Scott" <rayscott3@...> wrote:

                  > It doesn't seem unreasonable. I have three scouts in the program and I pay
                  > my fees as well. It's a matter of deciding what's important.
                  >

                  > Ray Scott
                  >
                  > _____

                • Melina Baker
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 7, 2009
                    Our DE confirmed the rate increase this past week, so I'm operating on the
                    assumption it is true.

                    When I posted something about the increase to our district's yahoo group, I
                    also compared it to sports. Before we were a scouting family, we were a
                    soccer family. In my area, soccer was cheaper than any other sport for
                    registration and equipment, so it made for a good comparison. To
                    participate fully for a Cub Scout today wound up to be roughly the same cost
                    as to participate at a minimum for soccer (per costs seven years ago). We
                    paid in excess of $2,000 a year for my daughter, who was a star player,
                    deeply committed to the game, to play to the full level of her capabilities!
                    I pointed out to our group that nearly any activity can be as costly as
                    parents are willing to commit themselves to pay, but very few have such an
                    inexpensive buy-in as scouts - $25 for a year, and that includes a magazine.

                    Melina Baker

                    Cubmaster, Pack 403

                    --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com <mailto:scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com> , "Ray
                    Scott" <rayscott3@...> wrote:

                    > It doesn't seem unreasonable. I have three scouts in the program and I pay
                    > my fees as well. It's a matter of deciding what's important.
                    >

                    > Ray Scott
                    >
                    > _____
                    >
                    > From: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com <mailto:scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com>
                    > I am cross-posting my response to let others know about the increase.
                    >
                    > So in 2002 the fee was $7 and now $15.
                    >
                    > I would say that this is slightly higher that the rate of inflation and
                    well
                    > ahead of most families increase in disposable income.
                    >
                    > ... we wonder why they leave ... now we can start wondering why they don't
                    > even start.
                    >
                    > Dave Gottshall

                  • Christopher Connolly
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 7, 2009
                      I think that this will cost us more scouts that it will bring in.  Too many parents that already complain about the costs and I think that this will only turn them away.

                      The sports argument does not always work.  Some parents just don't care.
                       Chris Connolly

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 7, 2009
                        Brian,

                        If you want to go back, how far do you want to go?? How about 1910.? The cost of scouting in 1910 is a very small fraction of the cost of scouting in 2010.

                        You only have to go back to the 1964 NJ to see the start of the gross inflation in the cost of? National events and the "Disneyization" which occurred during the A.P. Hill years.

                        What about the hat-in-hand council program of SME/FOS and the contrived James E. West Buy-a-Knot.

                        What about the BSA Foundation?

                        You do not want to go down this road.? You will only make my point.

                        Dave Gottshall??

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 7, 2009
                          Cost is only a problem in absence of benefit.  Scouting DOES have a benefit.  This is a relatively minor increase.  I don't think that this increase is designed to bring IN anyone.  If I recall correctly, nation has said that the old $10 fee covered the costs of running the registration process - and nothing else.  I've been in IT for many years and banks used to say that it cost $1/month to keep an account on the books - that was 20 years ago.  The last time someone mentioned a figure it was more like $5.

                          Many BOY scout units have a fairly significant annual fee.  $60 and up.  Some SHOULD be willing to absorb this cost and not increase their fee.  That would make the $5 increase a moot point.

                          Cub units don't charge a large annual fee, so that may be a potential problem...  If you approach it as "the BSA has made a small increase - due to an increase in their costs", I think most will not have a problem.  Remember that the actual cost of running the program is over $100/boy - typically funded thru FOS.

                          Stress the benefits - leadership, etc...  I don't think this will be a problem for most.

                          Brant Lippincott

                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 7, 2009
                            Not sure what your point is?

                            The BSA Foundation, FOS, and James West award are all designed to raise funds for Scouting. That's a good thing, no? None are mandatory; you donate out of the goodness of your heart. The membership fee is mandatory; members must pay $15 per year.
                            I've a sneakin' hunch that if there was no BSA Foundation, no FOS, and no West, the membership fee would be a tad higher. Maybe the membership fee should be $1,000 and the James West $15.

                            Maybe the national jamboree is a waste of money, maybe Philmont too? Maybe we should we scrap the Handbook, publications, Eagle program, etc etc.

                            Frank Toothaker
                            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, gottshalld@... wrote:
                            > Brian,
                            >
                            > If you want to go back, how far do you want to go?? How about 1910.? The cost of scouting in 1910 is a very small fraction of the cost of scouting in 2010.
                            >
                            > You only have to go back to the 1964 NJ to see the start of the gross inflation in the cost of? National events and the "Disneyization" which occurred during the A.P. Hill years.
                            >
                            > What about the hat-in-hand council program of SME/FOS and the contrived James E. West Buy-a-Knot.
                            >
                            > What about the BSA Foundation?
                            >
                            > You do not want to go down this road.? You will only make my point.
                            >
                            > Dave Gottshall??
                          • bill smith
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jun 7, 2009
                              Most, almost all of us white middle class folk
                              will gladly pay the extra $5 and hardly notice it.
                              Since we make up the overwhelming majority
                              of BSA membership, membership will suffer
                              only a negligible drop.
                              On the other hand, even with an unbelievable
                              drop of 10% in registration, BSA National will
                              still come out with a 35% increase in revenue,
                              The big losers will be a few single parent families
                              who will balance $5 against food and transportation
                              costs to and from work. Then there's those outreach
                              programs that are funded by fixed budgets. They
                              will drop one third of their members. Who cares?
                              They're just poor uderpriv. trash anyway.

                              Have a great time at the Jambo.

                              bill smith
                              The best gift for a Cub Scout.......
                              ......get his parents involved!
                              http://wtsmith.com/rt.html

                              Brant Lippincott wrote:

                              > Cost is only a problem in absence of benefit. Scouting DOES have a
                              > benefit. This is a relatively minor increase. I don't think that
                              > this increase is designed to bring IN anyone. If I recall correctly,
                              > nation has said that the old $10 fee covered the costs of running the
                              > registration process - and nothing else. I've been in IT for many
                              > years and banks used to say that it cost $1/month to keep an account
                              > on the books - that was 20 years ago. The last time someone mentioned
                              > a figure it was more like $5.
                              >
                              > Many BOY scout units have a fairly significant annual fee. $60 and
                              > up. Some SHOULD be willing to absorb this cost and not increase their
                              > fee. That would make the $5 increase a moot point.
                              >
                              > Cub units don't charge a large annual fee, so that may be a potential
                              > problem... If you approach it as "the BSA has made a small increase -
                              > due to an increase in their costs", I think most will not have a
                              > problem. Remember that the actual cost of running the program is over
                              > $100/boy - typically funded thru FOS.
                              >
                              > Stress the benefits - leadership, etc... I don't think this will be a
                              > problem for most.
                              >
                              > Brant Lippincott

                            • Roy Fisher
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jun 7, 2009
                                Cost is only a problem in absence of benefit.  Scouting DOES have a
                                benefit.  This is a relatively minor increase.  I don't think that this
                                increase is designed to bring IN anyone.  If I recall correctly, nation has
                                said that the old $10 fee covered the costs of running the registration
                                process - and nothing else.  I've been in IT for many years and banks used
                                to say that it cost $1/month to keep an account on the books - that was 20
                                years ago.  The last time someone mentioned a figure it was more like $5.

                                Many BOY scout units have a fairly significant annual fee.  $60 and up.
                                Some SHOULD be willing to absorb this cost and not increase their fee.  That
                                would make the $5 increase a moot point.

                                If this were the only increase you might be right. Regarding the cost of
                                registration, most of that is borne by the local Councils not National.

                                But let's look at the larger picture: 50% increase in registration fees
                                (hardly minor in my book), merit badge books that cost $4.95 up from less
                                than $3.00, rank patches, merit badges etc. increased over 100% in the same
                                time frame as the registration increase, higher camping fees, increased
                                transportation costs, the cost of equipment, and oh yeah the new uniform.

                                And if you are in Cubs you get to buy a spiffy new neckerchief, neckerchief
                                slide and hat each year.

                                I would be willing to bet that most units will not see a 50% increase in
                                their popcorn commissions or other fund raising activities. Given the
                                economic conditions in most areas of the country many units will be darned
                                lucky to stay flat from last year.

                                But I guess BSA has to find the funding for their new National Jamboree site
                                somewhere, so why not put it on the backs of Scouts?

                                In years past, our Troop has always paid for all of the youth and adult
                                registration. We were already discussing eliminating paying for adults
                                because of reductions in our fund raising income and increases in our other
                                costs; this nails the coffin shut.

                                Roy Fisher
                              • ftooth
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jun 7, 2009
                                  Merit badge books, patches, handbooks, uniforms, jamboree site, equipment, transportation etc etc etc etc.

                                  It is ALL for the Scouts !

                                  WHO besides Scouts SHOULD pay for it?? The Scoutmaster maybe? The taxpayer? WHO should pay? It ain't free!

                                  Frank Toothaker

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jun 7, 2009
                                    Frank,

                                    That is only the tip of the iceberg.

                                    FOS is voluntary.? But goodness of heart has nothing to do with it.? Every year the Council comes in to my unit crying poor mouth, setting a recommendation of donation of over $100 per family.? While I do feel bad for the local council and provide many hours attempting to support its program efforts and do write a check, I feel that the whole structure and accounting scheme can not be sustained on the backs of its members.

                                    I also feel that National is totally out-of-touch with both local councils and units.? In the Northeast, we have many local high adventure programs.? These programs provide a wide variety of locales and opportunities.? But there is no coordination, no National clearinghouse, no National support.? Now we see that National is going to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to buy, develop, and staff another National High Adventure.? IMHO, this is a colossal waste of money, places additional financial stress on local councils and their programs, with no benefit to youth or units.

                                    Do you remember the reason why uniforms cost so much?? The BSA wanted to have them "Made in America."? A noble goal and we all went along.? Now that the new uniforms are made overseas, did the cost of the uniforms go down in pricing consistent with the difference in manufacturing costs? Nope.Wind-fall profits to the BSA.

                                    Now the BSA through their new licensing agreements and enforcement programs, the BSA is driving small local service companies out of the scout service business and driving those that require anything with a BSA trademark to National Supply, National Scout Shops, or a select group of licensees that pay a fee to the BSA for the privilege to serve their members.? Those additional costs are being paid by the members in increased fee costs. More profits for the BSA.

                                    This is not a small increase.? With membership at just south of 3 million, this "small increase" generates an ADDITIONAL $15 MILLION.? What increase in service to my unit will I see for my units portion of this fee increase?

                                    So we see more of our monies going to Irving, continued decline in membership, National's own actions undermining the finances and programs of its local councils, and you ask me what the point is?

                                    Frank, can I be any clearer?

                                    Dave Gottshall

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jun 8, 2009
                                      You are absolutely right; someone has to pay. But by the same token at some
                                      point someone says "it just ain't worth it." The BENEFIT you mention is
                                      very intangible and often not even noticed for a number of years after
                                      leaving the program. Where is the tipping point were the cost exceeds the
                                      benefit? I'm sure I don't know, but I'm also sure that there will be a
                                      number of folks that will be 'running the numbers' the next time their unit
                                      recharters.

                                      I can go camping for much less and don't even have to mess with a tour
                                      permit.

                                      Roy Fisher