RE: [Scouter_T] New Adult Youth Protection Guidelines Training Video

    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 3, 2009
      But usually along with that video wasn't there some sort of discussion? And if you fall asleep during this video and don't pass the test the first time, 10 minutes later you can take it again and pass it. Comprehension aside.........

      I just think this training that is supposed to be so important for the safety of our scouts has been turned into a sham...........

      connie

      --- On Wed, 6/3/09, Jim von Schmacht <jvonschmacht@...> wrote:

      As opposed to the 45 minute video that most Scoutmasters snoozed through
      with no test, hand 'em a card and kick 'em out which many councils did -
      debatable.  At least they are checking to see if you are listening (and
      awake). :-)

      Content is important but comprehension is critical. IMHO. :-)

    • Jim von Schmacht
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 3, 2009
        It was WILDLY variable. It was offered at summer camps in the exact
        scenario I mentioned (worst case) with NO discussion. It has also been
        delivered with a knowledgeable trainer and sometimes the SE to answer
        reporting questions (best case). There was no test offered - here's
        your card and thank you for getting trained.

        Jim

        ________________________________

          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 4, 2009
            I hear ya! Thanks for "sharing" too! Now if we could just clone the
            good trainers out there... :-)

            Jim

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 4, 2009
              I would say no. There was no direct test for the old one and the online
              one has one, so...since the offline is supposed to be the same as the
              online the test would be required. Different standards.

              Jim

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 4, 2009
                Let see what I have so far
                BSA Backround Check
                BSA Youth Protection Training
                Virtus Illinois CANTS background check
                Virtus Training
                a 2nd Illinois CANTS check required by the state of Michigan for Summer camp

                I know its only a question of time before we are finger printed since some states are already doing that with youth volunteers.

                Am I naive in thinking 2 deep leadership pretty much eliminated many issues we had in the past and that our function is to be observing a make sure the scout isn't being abused by someone else? Also am I naive in thinking a sex offender would never submit to a background check anyway and the 2 deep leadership forces him or her to organizations that don't require 2 deep leadership.

                just rambling
                Herb Dulzo