RE: [Scouter_T] New Adult Youth Protection Guidelines Training Video

  • Scott Smith
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 3, 2009
      Ok, the question that came to my mind here is, can the training using the
      new YPT DVD be recorded the old-fashioned way, with a training attendance
      report, input into ScoutNet. Or does one 'have to' go to the web to take
      the test in order to receive credit for the training?

      Scott Smith
      Catalina Council Training Chair

      Yes - so it can be recorded directly in Scoutnet and your training card
      printed, rather than doing the full training online...

      Jim von Schmacht

      ________________________________

      From: albormuth <al@... <mailto:al%40bormuth.com> >
      Video

      Youth Protection Guidelines - Training for Volunteer Leaders and Parents
      BSA #32161 (on DVD) or #36121 (on the DVD case)

      - gives direction at the end to go to myscouting and 'take the test' for
      recordation purposes.

      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 3, 2009
        But usually along with that video wasn't there some sort of discussion? And if you fall asleep during this video and don't pass the test the first time, 10 minutes later you can take it again and pass it. Comprehension aside.........

        I just think this training that is supposed to be so important for the safety of our scouts has been turned into a sham...........

        connie

        --- On Wed, 6/3/09, Jim von Schmacht <jvonschmacht@...> wrote:

        As opposed to the 45 minute video that most Scoutmasters snoozed through
        with no test, hand 'em a card and kick 'em out which many councils did -
        debatable.  At least they are checking to see if you are listening (and
        awake). :-)

        Content is important but comprehension is critical. IMHO. :-)

      • Jim von Schmacht
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 3, 2009
          It was WILDLY variable. It was offered at summer camps in the exact
          scenario I mentioned (worst case) with NO discussion. It has also been
          delivered with a knowledgeable trainer and sometimes the SE to answer
          reporting questions (best case). There was no test offered - here's
          your card and thank you for getting trained.

          Jim

          ________________________________

            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 4, 2009
              I hear ya! Thanks for "sharing" too! Now if we could just clone the
              good trainers out there... :-)

              Jim

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 4, 2009
                I would say no. There was no direct test for the old one and the online
                one has one, so...since the offline is supposed to be the same as the
                online the test would be required. Different standards.

                Jim

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 4, 2009
                  Let see what I have so far
                  BSA Backround Check
                  BSA Youth Protection Training
                  Virtus Illinois CANTS background check
                  Virtus Training
                  a 2nd Illinois CANTS check required by the state of Michigan for Summer camp

                  I know its only a question of time before we are finger printed since some states are already doing that with youth volunteers.

                  Am I naive in thinking 2 deep leadership pretty much eliminated many issues we had in the past and that our function is to be observing a make sure the scout isn't being abused by someone else? Also am I naive in thinking a sex offender would never submit to a background check anyway and the 2 deep leadership forces him or her to organizations that don't require 2 deep leadership.

                  just rambling
                  Herb Dulzo