RE: [Scouter_T] New Adult Youth Protection Guidelines Training Video

  • Scott Smith
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 3 3:47 PM
      Ok, the question that came to my mind here is, can the training using the
      new YPT DVD be recorded the old-fashioned way, with a training attendance
      report, input into ScoutNet. Or does one 'have to' go to the web to take
      the test in order to receive credit for the training?

      Scott Smith
      Catalina Council Training Chair

      Yes - so it can be recorded directly in Scoutnet and your training card
      printed, rather than doing the full training online...

      Jim von Schmacht

      ________________________________

      From: albormuth <al@... <mailto:al%40bormuth.com> >
      Video

      Youth Protection Guidelines - Training for Volunteer Leaders and Parents
      BSA #32161 (on DVD) or #36121 (on the DVD case)

      - gives direction at the end to go to myscouting and 'take the test' for
      recordation purposes.

    • Jim von Schmacht
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 3 3:55 PM
        As opposed to the 45 minute video that most Scoutmasters snoozed through
        with no test, hand 'em a card and kick 'em out which many councils did -
        debatable. At least they are checking to see if you are listening (and
        awake). :-)

        Content is important but comprehension is critical. IMHO. :-)

        Jim von Schmacht

        Loma Prieta District Training Chair

        ________________________________

          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 3 4:12 PM
            It was WILDLY variable. It was offered at summer camps in the exact
            scenario I mentioned (worst case) with NO discussion. It has also been
            delivered with a knowledgeable trainer and sometimes the SE to answer
            reporting questions (best case). There was no test offered - here's
            your card and thank you for getting trained.

            Jim

            ________________________________

              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 4 1:17 AM
                I hear ya! Thanks for "sharing" too! Now if we could just clone the
                good trainers out there... :-)

                Jim

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 4 1:19 AM
                  I would say no. There was no direct test for the old one and the online
                  one has one, so...since the offline is supposed to be the same as the
                  online the test would be required. Different standards.

                  Jim

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 4 5:20 AM
                    Let see what I have so far
                    BSA Backround Check
                    BSA Youth Protection Training
                    Virtus Illinois CANTS background check
                    Virtus Training
                    a 2nd Illinois CANTS check required by the state of Michigan for Summer camp

                    I know its only a question of time before we are finger printed since some states are already doing that with youth volunteers.

                    Am I naive in thinking 2 deep leadership pretty much eliminated many issues we had in the past and that our function is to be observing a make sure the scout isn't being abused by someone else? Also am I naive in thinking a sex offender would never submit to a background check anyway and the 2 deep leadership forces him or her to organizations that don't require 2 deep leadership.

                    just rambling
                    Herb Dulzo