Re: [Scouter_T] Outdoor Leader Skills

  • Bill & Beth Reiller
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 25, 2001
      We taught this course this last spring. I would not cut anything. We
      simply told the council it was a mistake on the memo. Our council does not
      interfere with training as long as you are following the syllabus.
      Everything in the new syllabus is basic and is needed. If you start cutting
      parts out, these will be the same parts the new leaders will cut from their
      program with the kids.
      I have to also say that this syllabus is the most fun for a training
      team. We ran the course from Friday night to Sunday afternoon. This gives
      you a little flexibility with the time schedule. We were able to give more
      time to some subjects like LNT without taking away from other subjects.
      The participants of the course walked away confident with their outdoor
      skills unlike SMF where they leave with a hundred questions still. We also
      created a book of handouts before the course that we gave them when they
      checked in. Everyone said they really liked it because it gave them
      something to reference to later. We had several new Webelos leaders take
      the course and they said it helped them see better what they are preparing
      their kids for.
      We have already scheduled this course 2 more times for the upcoming year
      and we have people begging to be part of the training team for it. The
      participants went away raving about this new course.

      Beth Reiller
      Training Team (wife to the Training Chairman)
      Flint River Council