Re: [Scouter_T] Re: Cub Scout training slides

  • Doug Acker
    Message 1 of 16 , May 26 8:20 AM
      I just layed my Powerpoint text boxes onto top of the image etc of where I need corrections.

      Its not pretty .but its only a handful or two of slides

      Message 2 of 16 , May 26 9:58 AM
        Check the first folder in the files section.
        -al
        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Richard C. Pushies" <rick@...> wrote:

        > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "albormuth" <al@> wrote:
        > >
        > > The .ppt slides are pictures/images. It was a cut and paste from the .pdf (which is pictures/images)to ppt.
        > >
        > > -al
        >
        > Hi Al,
        >
        > .ppt files (Power Point presentation) are different than .pps files (Power Point slide show), are agreed on this point? "It was a cut and paste from the .pdf to ppt." What is "It" that you refer to? Is this the file Brian was discussing? I would like to see the file in question. Can you direct me to a copy of the file or give me the name of the specific file in question?
        >
        > Rick

      • The Little's
        Message 3 of 16 , May 27 9:25 AM
          Charlie,
          On your comment below that I have high lighted in bold is hard on
          professional graphic designers, which I am a part of. We do not always
          know what our designs are to be used for. We may be told that it will be
          for a brochure and then find out later that they liked the design so
          much that they had a staff member import the design into some other
          program that the staff member was familiar with. If we were told what
          areas the ideas would be spread over even if we are not doing the actual
          work, we could set up the different files for those specific needs. It
          is hard to see your work look great in the tool is was designed for be
          it Adobe Photoshop (photos), InDesign, Illustrator, CorelDRAW (ads,
          brochures, patches), Dreamweaver (web sites), PowerPoint (slide
          presentations, training) and then see that same layout enlarged for the
          screen and the resolution is terrible. Or someone uses a photo from the
          web on a slide show and it also has not enough dots to create the photo
          for the slide show and it is fuzzy. Costs are cuts sometimes at the
          expense of the design, spread too thin. I've seen brochures that look
          super but later at the same event the PowerPoint to show off similar
          items or some other support part of the event is terrible. Time frame of
          2 different people putting the event together, one ahead of the game and
          the other doing it the night before? I would hope not, but graphics are
          designed for a specific purpose has to be adapted but the same tools if
          they are to succeed. If you save a graphic off of the web, it is only
          going to be good for reuse on the web (size is too small for anything
          else). A good resolution is about 300 dpi to start with and then you
          reduce the copy NOT the MASTER to fix the layout and tool.
          Try working on a layout and the person in charge sends in the PDF copy
          to the printer or patch maker, because they don't have the orignal file
          software to open the press or patchmaker file, and having the item come
          back a little different and you have to explain why there is a
          difference in what you showed them and the final product. Or why does it
          look good when you do it and terrible when he does it. (You use original
          art and they use copies of copies, similar to what happens when you
          print something and someone copies the copy and they copy the
          copy....end result is trash. Best piece of advice --ask what areas will
          the art cover, methods to be used, who can I ask for originals to
          balance the design (I redraw items instead of pasting a bitmap into an
          original design because it will show up when blowing up the layout and
          bit you later) and MOST IMPORTANT-- check to see what does it look like
          before releasing it to the general public. If it does not do what you
          really had in mind it is time to go back to the drawing board and try
          again.

          Also, National does try to protect the content of what they send out so
          that it is the BSA material that everyone knows as original and
          standard. If anyone could write the ways to do some part of BSA data,
          the new scouts, leaders and parents would really be confused as to who
          was right and who was wrong and is there a gray area that both don't
          have a clue what they really mean. Maybe it would be nice for National
          to meet you half way and give you a white section below some of their
          text that your Council could had a line or two about how you do
          something a little differently or as a cherry on top to the standard
          training.

          Carol E. Little
          CS Trainer
          BSAC Program Committee member
          and webmaster of
          http://www.Cubroundtable.com
          http://www.bsac449-bsa.org
          Black Swamp Area Council
          NW OH

          from Charlie Henderson
[...]

        • Terry Lind
          Message 4 of 16 , May 27 3:04 PM
            As far as changing National's training slides, I advise my trainers NOT TO.  Correct that-they cannot.   National wants all leaders to get the same info that is why they go to the trouble of providing us with a syllabus for everything.  What I do suggest is if they have additional or local info or tips-add slides (watching the time factor of course).  Personally in the first 2 modules-Intro to CS and Cs Fun, where it said do a song or ceremony, etc., I created slides for those.  That way I didn't have to handout copies of the song or ceremony (think green).  Our training mantra is you have to give everyone the egg (syllabus), but how you prepare it (present it) is where you personality shines.

            Terry Lind
            Council CS Training Chair
            Feisty Fox
            SR-162

            Message 5 of 16 , May 27 3:19 PM
              So what do you do when the National slides are wrong ..like in the attached
              handout?

              Message 6 of 16 , May 27 5:19 PM
                I am not convinced that National wants everyone to get the same information.
                If that were true, they would put the training online. Even if you teach
                straight from the syllabus, you won't get the same information. Some
                instructors won't deviate at all, whereas some will point out the errors and
                deliver the correct information.

                I will not tell you what we have done in our district, since that would
                engender a lot of controversy. Suffice it to say that we teach the
                information that National intends us to, but we don't use their
                presentations since they leave our new Cubbers with the impression that
                Scouting as an organization is somewhat unprofessional.

                But I will share with you some tips that we have found useful:

                1) Our instructors are told to use the current month's Program Helps for the
                gathering, the cheer, and the fun activities that take place during the
                "pack meeting" portion of Intro to Cub Scouting. This provides an object
                lesson for the new Cubbers on planning and it makes each "pack meeting"
                unique - which is what they are supposed to be.

                2) For the Bobcat badge presentation, we took the image of the badge from
                scouting.org and plugged it into an Avery template (number 6572, to be
                exact). So now all we have to do is print out the file onto the Avery
                stickers prior to each training session. When we award the badge, we hold a
                "ceremony" and place the sticker on each person. The only thing you need to
                be aware of is that this method uses up a lot of blue ink. But it has the
                advantage of being simple and quick.

                YiS,

                Ron Parks

                Victory District Training Chair

                Message 7 of 16 , May 28 7:43 AM
                  To Carol (and any other graphic designers out there) : My apologies. It was
                  not my intent to slight graphic designers though I can see how it might have
                  been taken that way. My intent was to point out that the slides may be the
                  way they are due to expedience and not good presentation practice.

                  To All: Ron's point is very accurate. If they want it done EXACTLY the same
                  way, EVERYTIME, EVERYWHERE. Then it should be done on-line or via video.
                  Thus the introduction of "This is Scouting" as an on-line module. But much
                  of the rest of the information benefits from the nuances of how each council
                  and district operate. Generalities are good but the specifics for each
                  locale are what the leaders want and deserve.

                  Training is interesting and valuable due to the way it is presented by
                  people who have walked the talk. In my experience much of what the trainees
                  want to know is not in the slides so significant time is consumed verbally
                  filling in. It would be much better if this information were incorporated
                  directly into the formal material over time so that each district ends up
                  with a more complete course customized to its particular needs.

                  The other problem with the slides as they are is that they are BORING! Too
                  much text, too little graphics and no animation. PowerPoint is a very
                  powerful tool that can produce very good slides that can really support a
                  presentation but if the slides only contain static images of slides then
                  none of this power can be used to improve the learning. It also tends to
                  encourage people to depend too much on the slides or (horrors) read them.

                  Note that I refer to the PowerPoint files as slides and not a
                  "presentation". The presentation is the entire experience from which the
                  trainee's gain valuable learning. The slides are in support of that. A
                  person's mind is only fractionally consumed by listening so it is constantly
                  looking for something else to do. The value of slides or other visual aids
                  is to provide something for the mind to do that is topical and engaging.
                  Combine that with active participation, engaging exercises and active
                  note-taking (don't hand out the slides!) and the leaning is much more fun
                  and effective.

                  YIS,

                  Charlie Henderson

                  Assistant Scoutmaster

                  Troop 219, Boy Scouts of America

                  "A knot is an end unto itself"

                  8817 Jennifer Ct.

                  Plano Texas 75025

                  Home: 972-335-0691

                  Cell: 214-336-7328

                  Email: chazzjh@...

                  From: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com <mailto:scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com>
[...]

                  <mailto:glittle%40woh.rr.com>

                  From: The Little's <glittle@... <mailto:glittle%40woh.rr.com>
                  <mailto:glittle%40woh.rr.com> >
                  To: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com <mailto:scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com>
                  <mailto:scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com>
                  Date: Wednesday, May 27, 2009, 11:25 AM

                  Charlie,
[...]

                • Richard C. Pushies
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 28 7:04 PM
                    --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Charlie Henderson" <chazzjh@...> wrote:
                    "Training is interesting and valuable due to the way it is presented by people who have walked the talk. In my experience much of what the trainees want to know is not in the slides so significant time is consumed verbally filling in. It would be much better if this information were incorporated directly into the formal material over time so that each district ends up with a more complete course customized to its particular needs."

                    Hi Charlie,

                    Here, here my good man. Spot on! Some may not be familiar with the BSA Training Philosophy, so I will share it now.

                    Trainer's Philosophy
                    "As trainers in the Cub Scout, Boy Scout, Varsity Scout, and Venturing programs, we are often the very first non-unit Scouters that many adults encounter upon joining Scouting. Trainers should strive to be the personal embodiment of the ideal Scouter. The image, attitudes, messages, and example we portray can often mean the difference between adults remaining in and expanding their role in Scouting and losing them for good.

                    The information we convey to our participants during training sessions goes far beyond any syllabus. Our example speaks louder than any words we can present.

                    The core values of all we do in Scouting are the Scout Oath and Law. Connecting our roles as trainers to the Scout Law is a good road map for success."

                    If trainers were not important to the training process we would just give new leaders a book to read! Some still read books I hear.

                    Yours Truly in Scouting,
                    Rick Pushies
                  • Jim
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 29 3:36 AM
                      Richard,

                      Could you please state your source for this quote (BSA Training
                      Philosophy). It too is "spot on"!

                      Yours in Scouting,
                      -- Jim

                      On May 28, 2009, at 10:04 PM, Richard C. Pushies wrote:

                      > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Charlie Henderson" <chazzjh@...>
                      > wrote:
                      > "Training is interesting and valuable due to the way it is presented
                      > by people who have walked the talk. In my experience much of what
                      > the trainees want to know is not in the slides so significant time
                      > is consumed verbally filling in. It would be much better if this
                      > information were incorporated directly into the formal material over
                      > time so that each district ends up with a more complete course
                      > customized to its particular needs."
                      >
                      > Hi Charlie,
                      >
                      > Here, here my good man. Spot on! Some may not be familiar with the
                      > BSA Training Philosophy, so I will share it now.
                      >
                      > Trainer's Philosophy
                      > "As trainers in the Cub Scout, Boy Scout, Varsity Scout, and
                      > Venturing programs, we are often the very first non-unit Scouters
                      > that many adults encounter upon joining Scouting. Trainers should
                      > strive to be the personal embodiment of the ideal Scouter. The
                      > image, attitudes, messages, and example we portray can often mean
                      > the difference between adults remaining in and expanding their role
                      > in Scouting and losing them for good.
                      >
                      > The information we convey to our participants during training
                      > sessions goes far beyond any syllabus. Our example speaks louder
                      > than any words we can present.
                      >
                      > The core values of all we do in Scouting are the Scout Oath and Law.
                      > Connecting our roles as trainers to the Scout Law is a good road map
                      > for success."
                      >
                      > If trainers were not important to the training process we would just
                      > give new leaders a book to read! Some still read books I hear.
                      >
                      > Yours Truly in Scouting,
                      > Rick Pushies

                    • Richard C. Pushies
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 29 7:10 AM
                        Hi Jim,

                        This is a fairly new quote for me too. It comes from the Trainer's EDGE syllabus on page 71 under the heading of Trainer's Code of Conduct.

                        In this section you will find the Trainer's Creed (Which has been around for a long time.), the Trainer's Philosophy and a version of the Scout Law dedicated to trainers. This is pretty cool and all trainers should not only read this version but share it with fellow trainers. An example of one point of the Scout Law for trainers.

                        "Kind
                        Trainers always praise in public and correct in private. Trainers are mindful of adults who are shy, quiet, or intimidated and seek to put them at ease."

                        As with the traditional Scout Law this version contains much wisdom.

                        Your can find the Trainer's EDGE syllabus online at
                        http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/26-242.pdf

                        Or, you can access the file "Trainer's Code of Conduct" file that contains the relevant pages on the Trainer's Code of Conduct I extracted from the syllabus. I put the file in a new folder titled "Trainer Inspiration." There are many good items that inspire trainers (Me included!) that are well worth sharing with our fellow trainers. I also posted a Word document with the poem "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft originally published in Scouting Magazine in 1950. This is a "Spot On" poem every parent, Scouter, and professional Scouter should read.

                        Yours Truly in Scouting,
                        Rick Pushies
                        805-925-9144

                        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Jim <scoutingislife@...> wrote:

                        > Richard,
                        >
                        > Could you please state your source for this quote (BSA Training
                        > Philosophy). It too is "spot on"!
                        >
                        > Yours in Scouting,
                        > -- Jim
                      • Jim
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 29 4:29 PM
                          Rick,
                          Thank you very much for your reply. It was most "Helpful" and
                          enlightening.
                          Yours in Scouting,
                          -- Jim