New Adult Youth Protection Guidelines Training Video

  • albormuth
    Message 1 of 15 , May 25, 2009
      Youth Protection Guidelines - Training for Volunteer Leaders and Parents
      BSA #32161 (on DVD) or #36121 (on the DVD case)

      - completely re-done
      - 22minutes long
      - gives direction at the end to go to myscouting and 'take the test' for recordation purposes.

      Each council scout exec had one available at the BSA National Annual Meeting last week in Orlando. Not all had picked up their copy at the end of the meeting.

      Supply division should have them available for ordering in Mid August.

      This version in english only and they wanted to get it out to train camp staff.
    • apatschin75
      Message 2 of 15 , May 28, 2009
        What about Venturing? Youth Protection is "inside" the training, not a seperate session.

        Tom Travis
        OHC
        Trail Quail

        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "albormuth" <al@...> wrote:

        > Youth Protection Guidelines - Training for Volunteer Leaders and Parents
        > BSA #32161 (on DVD) or #36121 (on the DVD case)
        >
        > - completely re-done
        > - 22minutes long
        > - gives direction at the end to go to myscouting and 'take the test' for recordation purposes.
        >
        > Each council scout exec had one available at the BSA National Annual Meeting last week in Orlando. Not all had picked up their copy at the end of the meeting.
        >
        > Supply division should have them available for ordering in Mid August.
        >
        > This version in english only and they wanted to get it out to train camp staff.

      • Bill Nelson
        Message 3 of 15 , May 28, 2009
          There is an online module for Venturing Youth Protection at
          http://olc.scouting.org

          The DVD is:
          Youth Protection Guidelines: Training for Adult Venturing Leaders
          AV-03DVD14

        • tttrack@aol.com
          Message 4 of 15 , May 28, 2009
            New?

            n a message dated 5/28/2009 4:11:09 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,

            _http://olc.scoutinghttp_ (http://olc.scouting.org/)

            --- In _scouter_t@yahoogrouscoute_ (mailto:scouter_t@yahoogroups.com) ,
            "apatschin75" <tttrack@...> wrote:

            > What about Venturing? Youth Protection is "inside" the training, not a
            seperate session.

            > Tom Travis
            > OHC
            > Trail Quail
            >

            > --- In _scouter_t@yahoogrouscoute_ (mailto:scouter_t@yahoogroups.com) ,
            "albormuth" <al@> wrote:

            > > Youth Protection Guidelines - Training for Volunteer Leaders and
            Parents
            > > BSA #32161 (on DVD) or #36121 (on the DVD case)
            > >
            > > - completely re-done
            > > - 22minutes long
            > > - gives direction at the end to go to myscouting and 'take the test'
            for recordation purposes.

            > > Each council scout exec had one available at the BSA National Annual
            Meeting last week in Orlando. Not all had picked up their copy at the end of
            the meeting.

            > > Supply division should have them available for ordering in Mid August.
            > >
            > > This version in english only and they wanted to get it out to train
            camp staff.

            cntnew00000007)

            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 3, 2009
              It seems rather redundant doesn't it? Watch the video and then go on line and take the test?  Am I missing something?

              connie

              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 3, 2009
                Yes - so it can be recorded directly in Scoutnet and your training card
                printed, rather than doing the full training online...

                Jim von Schmacht

                ________________________________

                --- On Mon, 5/25/09, albormuth <al@... <mailto:al%40bormuth.com>

                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 3, 2009
                  Ok, the question that came to my mind here is, can the training using the
                  new YPT DVD be recorded the old-fashioned way, with a training attendance
                  report, input into ScoutNet. Or does one 'have to' go to the web to take
                  the test in order to receive credit for the training?

                  Scott Smith
                  Catalina Council Training Chair

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 3, 2009
                      As opposed to the 45 minute video that most Scoutmasters snoozed through
                      with no test, hand 'em a card and kick 'em out which many councils did -
                      debatable. At least they are checking to see if you are listening (and
                      awake). :-)

                      Content is important but comprehension is critical. IMHO. :-)

                      Jim von Schmacht

                      Loma Prieta District Training Chair

                      ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 3, 2009
                          It was WILDLY variable. It was offered at summer camps in the exact
                          scenario I mentioned (worst case) with NO discussion. It has also been
                          delivered with a knowledgeable trainer and sometimes the SE to answer
                          reporting questions (best case). There was no test offered - here's
                          your card and thank you for getting trained.

                          Jim

                          ________________________________

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 4, 2009
                              I hear ya! Thanks for "sharing" too! Now if we could just clone the
                              good trainers out there... :-)

                              Jim

                              ________________________________

                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 4, 2009
                                I would say no. There was no direct test for the old one and the online
                                one has one, so...since the offline is supposed to be the same as the
                                online the test would be required. Different standards.

                                Jim

                                ________________________________

                                Message 15 of 15 , Jun 4, 2009
                                  Let see what I have so far
                                  BSA Backround Check
                                  BSA Youth Protection Training
                                  Virtus Illinois CANTS background check
                                  Virtus Training
                                  a 2nd Illinois CANTS check required by the state of Michigan for Summer camp

                                  I know its only a question of time before we are finger printed since some states are already doing that with youth volunteers.

                                  Am I naive in thinking 2 deep leadership pretty much eliminated many issues we had in the past and that our function is to be observing a make sure the scout isn't being abused by someone else? Also am I naive in thinking a sex offender would never submit to a background check anyway and the 2 deep leadership forces him or her to organizations that don't require 2 deep leadership.

                                  just rambling
                                  Herb Dulzo